Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Sync I (and II, if you want)

mulou · 80 · 11654

Offline mulou

SOG Sync I (and II, if you want)
on: March 28, 2017, 08:11:25 AM
    Somehow there's no SOG Sync thread so I though I'd just make one and hopefully that's ok.
    I just got myself the SOG Sync I because I was curious and uhm, I guess I had enough money for gadgets around. I also had a belt with a broken buckle and though it'd be fun to try it...

So, I got the SOG Sync I (
https://www.sogknives.com/sync-i.html) (there's also https://www.sogknives.com/sync-ii.html) (and more pics here from our fearless MT emperor: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71026.0.html)

And that's mine  :climber::

Please excuse the pictures of my pants.. lol. I wanted to see how it looks like as actual belt buckle and could not find anything demo'ing that so here goes:

Buckle closed.. notice how there is no actual buckle though that's not a problem, and you could had some retainer if you wanted.

(side 1, pin against belly)

(side 2, pin outwards, more comfy and easier to put on)

Quick review of the thing:

- It actually works well as a buckle. I was surprised. I expected it to not be really usable, or be bulky or what not. I could totally use that as daily belt and not even notice.
- Sliding the tool in/out is also easy (though I had read that it was the case ahead of time)
- I did have to sew the belt on (since its a simple loop you have to do that actually, which is what the manual hints at, so if you can't sew you better have some other solution in mind :)
- Knife is tiny but otherwise great, super sharp out of the box
- Awl is great as usual with SOG - made the belt hole with it of course...
- The screw drivers are alright - haven't tried the beer opener yet ;-)
- Not sure how cool or terribly uncool you look when you remove the tool out of your belt buckle to open a beer.. might depend on the state you live in  :whistle:
- The file is just like the powerplier (which I also have), just smaller. Personally, I don't really like it, it's not very effective though it does the job. Leatherman's much better in my opinion.
- All tools lock in place just fine (it unlocks just by force) and there's no play anywhere
- Pliers work also just fine, no play, which is nice for pliers for this size. My skeletool has more play.
- The little Skull logo is cool.
- Clip seems to work alright and is quite large, which I like because that means you can clip on your backpack without the tool falling. I removed it for the buckle though. Also, the base that you slide the tool on is a tad heavy for a backpack (its heavier than the tool), though I can't really feel it as a buckle.[/li][/list]

So, so far I like it. Not sure how long I'll play with it (i want scissors and a proper file!) but, it's definitely a nice one! Maybe I should get the Sync II...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:29:53 AM by mulou »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: SOG Sync I (and II, if you want)
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:37:33 AM
 :cheers:

Has anyone posted pictures of them with other MTs?  :think:

Offline mulou

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:02:45 AM
Can also wear it like that - without sewing - but it slips (mine is a sewed loop because of that, not a big deal though)

Next to a power assist, skeletool cx, squirt es4 (you can guess which one is my daily driver by the wear on the plates lol):

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:30:50 AM by mulou »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:44:41 AM
Great Pics, I've got one of each winging their way to me at the moment  :mail:

Offline mulou

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:22 PM
nice :) I'm curious how you'll like the Sync II. I'm still thinking about it. Looks a little big but.. scissors!! (and they seem to be as good quality as the leathermans - I don't like their power assist/etc scissors)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 11:18:19 PM
nice :) I'm curious how you'll like the Sync II. I'm still thinking about it. Looks a little big but.. scissors!! (and they seem to be as good quality as the leathermans - I don't like their power assist/etc scissors)

They are coming from Canada to the UK so will be another week yet I'm guessing
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:22:24 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 11:35:38 PM
Great pics and write up :salute: some of these new SOG's have sure gotten my attention lately :dd: :like: :like:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 11:48:50 PM
I like them.

hat having been said, they don't compare to a Wave or a Spirit etc, but then they are not supposed to.  They are light duty tools that are designed to be easy to carry so that you can be sure than you have them when you need them.  Compare it to a Blast or an MP600 and you will probably be disappointed in them, but if you take them at face value based on what they can do and how convenient they are to carry around I think the average person would be pretty impressed.

Plus, the way they come off and on the buckle is secure, effective and, pretty cool too, although the cast buckle does seem to be overly heavy for little to no good reason- IMHO.  They could have used aluminum or a high density plastic and it would have worked just as well, again in my opinion.  Maybe there's a reason they didn't- cost or perhaps no benefit to longevity, I don't know, but that's my only real drawback on them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
I thought more of comparing them with a squirt (with longer handles) but with the added benefit of being able to wear them as a belt buckle or clip to a bag strap.  That's what I ordered them for anyway, one to have as a belt buckle, the other to clip to the strap of my poo pickup bag/dog treat/water/travel bowl carrying bag for when I walk my dog. I'll have a sak as a minimum in my pocket anyway, but you never know when one will come in handy.

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it as the saying goes.

Plus I think they look cool  :tu:

Offline mulou

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:27 PM

Plus, the way they come off and on the buckle is secure, effective and, pretty cool too, although the cast buckle does seem to be overly heavy for little to no good reason- IMHO.  They could have used aluminum or a high density plastic and it would have worked just as well, again in my opinion.  Maybe there's a reason they didn't- cost or perhaps no benefit to longevity, I don't know, but that's my only real drawback on them.

Yeah that echo's my thoughts on the buckle. When you have it on you don't feel it too much, but it was surprisingly heavy. Heck I'm wearing it right now  :multi:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:23:24 PM
Mine have arrived today. I have only had time to take them out their parcels and snap a quick pic so far though

england Offline Kev D

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:48 AM
I had a chance to open them and have a first look impression last night. I unclipped them from the base a few times, opened every tool and had a quick look and feel of them.

Straight out the box the sync I was very oily so needed a wipe down to remove the excess, other than that it feels nice, not too stiff and the release mechanism from the base is smooth and very easy to use. I compared it to my normal belt buckle and it's a tiny bit smaller by all of a couple mm, so will be prefect size for one.  The sync II out the box was again very oily so needed the excess removing, but when opening and closing the pliers it feels gritty and the tools are a very stiff to open and close, but it's brand new and not the first time I've got a new tool like this. A bit of cleaning and a tweak will soon have it as smooth as the sync I.

Both feel well built, and the sync II feels huge compared to the sync I.  I am a bit disappointed in the scissors on the sync II, they are the same size as the ones in the leatherman wave/knifeless rebar/charges, but lack the flat on the moving handle to make it comfy on your thumb. They work well but if you needed to use them for long you'd certainly have a sore spot on your thumb.  The locking mechanism for the small tools is different to anything else I have seen as well. In each handle there is a black tool that you have to half deploy to lift the locking mechanism. It's all a bit stiff at the mo but I'll soon adjust that.

And yes I know that...

:worthless:

I just got to work and wanted to get a first impression posted while my coffee brews. I'll add pics with side my side comparison to my rebar later, and when I have used them for a while I'll add a review in the reviews thread. First impression though is pretty good really.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 01:03:33 PM
 :popcorn:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Kev D

Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 01:37:55 PM
Just a few more pics for now...

Side by side with tools deployed - the black ones on the Sync II are the ones you have to half deploy to release the lock mechanism for the blade and scissors

Side by side size comparison with a closed knifeless rebar

Side by side open comparison

Scissors comparison

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:46:42 PM by Kevin Davey »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 02:16:15 PM
If any more people that own LM mini and the new SOG offerings wants to do a comparison I am all ears...  :multi:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 02:57:01 PM
If any more people that own LM mini and the new SOG offerings wants to do a comparison I am all ears...  :multi:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 03:41:12 AM
I hope to give the Sync I and II at some point God willing, love the idea. It's like a Leatherman tread for your belt

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 11:14:30 PM
Just got mine today and decided to clip it to my belt.

One word: versatile.

Packed with features and customizing is easy. My first act was to extend the pliers to see just what we were dealing with. I then tested the soft wire cutter on some cardboard - it cut terrifically.

While perhaps not the most comfortable pliers for heavy gripping, they are otherwise long enough for my hand and easy to operate. Dare I say these remind me of the skeletool pliers  :facepalm:

The inside components:

With the exception of the knife, I found opening most of the implements to be quite difficult.... nail-breakers, if you will... The locking mechanism on the knife, file, and scissors, requires another item to be partially opened to release the lock - and NOW you can close all items.

The scissors seem adequate and sharp, however I do worry about the spring which follows a similar design to Gerber Dime, Leatherman PS4 and others with a history of breakage.

The Phillips and flat driver appear Ok, but I am concerned they do not lock open.

Those are some initial thoughts, I'll check back in at a later time to say how it's held up to some use. :tu:
SAW

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 04:18:31 AM
Some good thoughts sawman :like: :like:

Just now seeing those comparison shots Kevin and with them along side the Rebar I can now get a good picture of the scale of them in my head :cheers: :cheers: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 04:20:02 AM

I am all ears for this as well :D :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 09:03:21 AM
I decided to wear my Sync II as a belt buckle. I was going to use the Sync I for this, but it was a bit tight on my leather belt and the pin didn't retain properly in the punched holes. The Sync II is a little wide for the belt, but retains perfectly

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 02:40:07 PM
Some good thoughts sawman :like: :like:

Just now seeing those comparison shots Kevin and with them along side the Rebar I can now get a good picture of the scale of them in my head :cheers: :cheers: :like:
Thanks Poncho! I really like this tool and think there is some epic potential here. The sheer fiddle-factor alone is reason enough to check one out  :multi:
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 08:37:30 PM
Just back from a few days without any internet so I'm catching up.  Cheers for the thoughts and photos gents.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 01:48:41 AM
I hope to give the Sync I and II at some point God willing, love the idea. It's like a Leatherman tread for your belt

Don't say that too loud or next year Leatherman will release a belt.   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 07:23:56 AM

Def
The Leatherbelt?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 10:16:39 AM

Def
The Leatherbelt?

As long as it's made from better leather than their pouches are. ::)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 12:24:26 PM

Def
The Leatherbelt?

Any bad experience?

Did it become lower quality throughout the years?

Got some older gen pouches and those are made from an entire cow as far as I can tell...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 06:06:41 PM

Def
The Leatherbelt?

Any bad experience?

Did it become lower quality throughout the years?

Got some older gen pouches and those are made from an entire cow as far as I can tell...

Definitely.  As you say; the older leather pouches are excellent.  Sadly the newer ones are much lower quality. :(

Offline mulou

Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 07:19:48 AM
just fixed a oven with mine (small but beefy-enough pliers helped getting to the bolts we couldnt reach with regular-size pliers from the toolbox hehe)

also started nicknaming mine the chick repellent  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD