Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Sync I (and II, if you want)

mulou · 80 · 11829

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: SOG Sync I (and II, if you want)
Reply #60 on: July 24, 2018, 04:14:23 AM
SOG's service department is first class, in the event you have an issue with the Sync II. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 24, 2018, 09:02:07 AM
really? That's good to know. I was going to send my Micro Toolclip in to see if they would replace it with one that actually has a file. Mine is so lightly cut that it turns into smooth metal. It does not filing at all. Not even fingernails.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:13 PM
I'd send it in and specially mention the file. See what happens. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: December 25, 2018, 05:21:01 PM
I just got a sync ii for Christmas, and a nice belt to go with it. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with this belt. The belt I got is quite thick and not your average jc penny belt that falls apart in a year, it’s made by a leather maker and is a lot more heavy duty. I’m a fat guy and my belts will twist and deform If I don’t buy a good quality one. The fact the SOG doesn’t fit is disappointing.  So I’m not so pleased about that. But the tool itself is awesome.

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: December 25, 2018, 05:40:09 PM
The belt is actually thicker than the baseplate. As you can see the belt does not thread through the opening.

Charles.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: December 28, 2018, 12:12:04 PM
Well that does suck :-\ I buy thicker belts like that as well (also from a leather shop :cheers: ) and tried that Sync II once and remember it being a bit hard to thread but I did get this accomplished :salute: It wasn't the most comfortable buckle so I didn't end up using it for long like that :facepalm: I need to get it back out and clip it to my backpack and get some good use out of it as I do rather like it as a tool just not a buckle :D

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #66 on: December 28, 2018, 01:01:23 PM
I have the same problem with my belt, I just don't thread it through and let the trouser loops do the retention. I had to punch smaller holes for better retention though or the buckle just popped off

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: December 28, 2018, 05:10:20 PM
Well, that belt was a double-fail. The holes were deeper than the retention orb on the Sync II, so it never stayed attached. I could probably machine a new longer retention piece, but I've decided to go to a thinner belt. I've got it mounted to a regular store-bought belt and it's perfect. I just took an angle grinder and cutting disc to the old buckle and then slid the SOG right on. No sewing or anything. It's retaining pretty great so far. I've got a new full grain leather belt on order that will hopefully be a better fit.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: December 28, 2018, 05:12:51 PM
Also, has anyone done a knifeless mod on these yet? I always have a swiss army knife on me, I don't need another blade.

Charles.

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 06:03:45 PM
I saw a video and they’re making a travel version that should be out soon.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #70 on: January 27, 2019, 02:49:55 PM
as Ryo said, SOG just announced a "Travel" Sync with no blade  :popcorn:
also announced this...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: January 28, 2019, 10:36:06 PM
Hey, is the file wobbly for anyone else? (Sync II). It doesn't appear that the pivot screws can be made any tighter, and my file has a LOT of side-to-side play.

Strangely, it's absolutely terrible for fingernails, but actually useful for filing mild steel. That was a surprise. I used it to file some material from a door plate so that the latch would catch (Every winter the house settles so the door didn't latch, and every spring un-settles so the door latches again).

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: January 28, 2019, 10:44:15 PM
Just checked mine and it has a bit of wobble. I think the design of the pivot and locking system are partly to blame. And a shorter barrel screw might help, but not much. It may need to have a washer put in there to stop the wobble.

The newer SOG files don't feel like they work, but actually work quite well on harder materials.  :iagree:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #73 on: April 06, 2019, 04:04:53 PM
For the first time in almost 10 years, I'm the proud owner of a SOG multitool, namely the Sync 2!  Alan K gifted me this cool tool, and I immediately put it on my belt for a buckle.  I don't notice it being there at all, and look forward to playing with it on hikes and whatever I can find to try it out.  Like Kev said earlier in this thread, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.   :cheers: Alan K!!
IMG_20190406_100206.jpg
* IMG_20190406_100206.jpg (Filesize: 172.79 KB)
IMG_20190406_100337.jpg
* IMG_20190406_100337.jpg (Filesize: 161.29 KB)
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: April 06, 2019, 06:48:44 PM
Very cool, Barry! :like:

Definitely one of SOG's better offerings.  :)

Good work Alan K! :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: April 18, 2019, 05:22:53 PM
After living with this tool since Christmas... I still use it as my daily carry, but it has SO many weak points.

The scissors are crap. They don't cut anything. They require a ton of force to use, and they hurt my thumb if it's anything thicker than paper. They literally wouldn't cut through cardboard. Not corrugated, but just from a smurfty box a woodworking clamp came in. I pulled out a cheapie multitool just for comparison, and the scissors had no problem with that cardboard. Neither did the scissors in my vic or my wenger knives. The scissors are the biggest fail, they're useless and just take up space.

Well, that's not entirely true. The fact that the screwdrivers are non-locking is the biggest fail. I've busted my knuckles at least 5 times because of these collapsing drivers. They work well, but they're not thought out.

The file is actually really good, and the blade is amazing. The pliers are good for light duty, but are painful to use for anything that requires a lot of grip. So this is no replacement for an MP600 by any stretch.

I'd like to find a broken Sync I and swap the scissors out and the micro driver and awl in.

I'd REALLY love to silver solder a tang on the drivers and then file it down and shape it to make them locking.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:17 PM
I just snagged a Sog Sync I for a very good price (thanks Grant!), and it's SOOOOOO CUUUUTTEEEEE. It's an adorably-sized pair of pliers. It's also a lot lighter than the Sync II, which is always threatenign to pull my pants down.

As a tool, I actually think the Sync I is a better choice. The Sync II has too many worthless or unusable tools. The scissors are useless for anything except paper (they require too much force to use, even for trimming fingernails), and the two drivers don't lock and fold up laughably easy. The Sync I doesn't have big drivers, just two really small flat drivers. For the kind of force you can put on those small tools, no locking mechanism is needed. It has a nice awl and a small driver that can *almost* fit my glasses screws. A couple of passes with a smurf file and it'll fit them perfectly. Every tool on the Sync I is usable. And it's lighter. The pliers are smaller, but still larger than anything you'd have on a SAK. So for a light carry day, they'd be perfect. I see myself wearing this more than the Sync II... three useless tools (out of five) in the Sync II is just sad.

That said, I have mods in mind for my Sync II, so it won't be sad for long!

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: July 13, 2019, 07:45:17 AM
 :popcorn:

Glad the Sync I worked out for you, Charles. They were/are truly innovative multitools, but their shortcomings really tarnished the idea. And what does SOG do to make the Sync I/II better? Change the toolset? No. Make the drivers lock? No.
They just decided to offer them in BO as they were. :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: July 13, 2019, 08:02:14 AM
Did you really expect anything else from SOG? It’s not like they haven’t done smurf like this before. How many files have they refused to fix over the years?  how many tools have odd shortcomings that are never addressed? (Isn’t it all of them?)

It’s like they don’t even USE their own tools.  In the first five minutes I realized the sync 2 drivers were useless, and that the scissors were extra-special crapaliscious. Why couldn’t they use the damn tool and figure that out too?!

Charles.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #79 on: July 15, 2019, 04:03:50 PM
I still wear my Sync II as my belt buckle every day.  It's very handy having pliers always to hand on the days when I only pocket carry a SAK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%