Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smartphone Apps - Lets have them

Kev D · 30 · 1223

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Smartphone Apps - Lets have them
on: March 28, 2017, 01:31:25 PM
I couldn't find a thread with this so thought I'd start one.

A thread to list your most useful smartphone apps, whether Android or iOS

Please Start with the operating platform, app name, and why it is useful... e.g.

Android - Zedge - every possible ringtone, message tone, notification tone, background and lockscreen image FREE.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:56:58 PM by Kevin Davey »

england Offline Kev D

Re: Smartphone Apps - Lets have them
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:37:40 PM
Android - Around Me - useful for finding locations of coffee shops, ATM's, stores, etc in your current location. Great when you are in a place you aren't familiar with.

Android - Google rewards - app store credit for answering simple questions based on places you've visited - not recommended if you want to stay 'off grid' as it asks the day after you've been shopping etc.

Android - BBC Weather - weather app that uses the same weather information as the national TV stations in the UK.

Android - Ebay - ah the evil bay app that helps me spend money faster than I can earn it.

Android - Fing - great app for seeing everything on the wifi network you are connected to.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:17:59 PM by Kevin Davey »

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:45:20 PM
Android & iOS - Fire TV - app for controlling your amazon firestick and fire tv box - very handy when you need a keyboard.

Android & iOS - PayPal - everyone should already be familiar with this one. We all use it to do deals on here. Handy app for one the go.

Android - Snapseed - a great photo editing program.

Android & iOS - Sky sports score centre - if you're in to football in the UK a great one for you. Or for me to check if my local team is playing at home on a Saturday and avoid that area when needing to shop.

Android - Shazam - great for finding out what that song is you're listening to that you can't remember - listens to the song and tells you what it is, where you can buy it, etc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:57:24 PM by Kevin Davey »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:46:59 PM
iOS - Tapatalk - also available on android... useful to access all forums in one place... convenient for uploading all pics taken on mobile phone...

iOS - Snapseed - also available on Android... app is bought by Google... I use it to edit pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

england Offline Kev D

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:51:25 PM
Android - Yell - UK yellow pages app for finding phone numbers for businesses.

Android - Apps2Fire - great app for side loading apps onto an Amazon fire stick or Fire TV.

Android - Ghostsave - App for saving screenshots of snapchat and other chat apps without it alerting the other person  :whistle:

Android - Meme generator - fun app to generate your own meme's to poke fun at your friends - pre-loaded with hundreds of meme backgrounds but can also use your own photo's.

Android - Zedge - already mentioned this one as my example - but it's the best app I have found for getting any ringtone, message tone and background image for an android device.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:01:25 PM
Android (iOS versions available to) - Torch - turns your LED flash into a handy torch. I selected this one as it comes with the handy widget on Android for faster turn on. Some Android devices have it built in to the bloatware the manufacturer adds to the standard Android.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:04:11 PM
Android - Unit Converter (plus version available also but you have to pay for it) - converts any unit and currency in to any other - very handy for engineers like myself.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:06:45 PM
Android - Compass 360 (pro verion available if you pay for it) - Handy compass with dual axis bubble levels that uses your location services and gyro's - Android doesn't come with a compass built in like iOS does (or used to back when I had an iphone 4, so I'm guessing it still does).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:07:54 PM by Kevin Davey »

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:28:37 PM
Android & iOS - KiK - Handy messaging app - a lot like whatsapp except that you don't have to give the other person your personal mobile (cell) number, just your username/screenname. I use it for chatting to clan mates all over the world for clash of clans. Uses mobile or wifi data.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 02:31:25 PM
Android and iOS - IMDb - Handy app for looking up movie info, actor info. Great for reminding you what you saw that actor/actress in when arguing discussing with others that it isn't who they think it is, weren't in that show/movie, etc.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 02:34:04 PM
Android - Life Reminders - app for setting up to do reminders with alarms (that will even ignore silent settings if you so wish). Can set time/date/place reminders with alarms, pop ups, for anything. I use it a lot  :facepalm:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 02:44:11 PM
Android and iOS – Free42 – HP 42S emulator. A calculator, which as opposed to the one which comes with the OS, does not suck.

Android – Pocket Git – Simple git client.

Android and iOS – Signal – Easy to use encrypted messaging and IP phone application.

Android and iOS – Duden Wörterbücher – The German answer to the Oxford English Dictionary.

Android (and probably iOS?) – OsmAnd – OpenStreetMap based map application, offline friendly.

Android – AndChat – IRC client

Android – K-9 – E-mail client which does not insist on hiding the SMTP headers from you.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 02:46:52 PM
Android – FTP Express Pro – SFTP client

Android – OpenKeyChain – RSA encryption/decryption and key handling

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 04:19:06 PM
I have a lame Microsoft Lumia 640 running Windows Phone 10 - because it was cheap - so there are very few apps for it.  More funds for SAKs.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 04:24:19 PM
iOS - invoices to go.  Great way for me to send invoices to clients.  Also good way for me to keep track as well. 
iOS - documents.  PDF files
iOS - hours tracker.  I keep track of my own hours on projects. 
iOS - epicuriuos.   Sometimes I just need a little help with dinner.
iOS - square.  Its been buggy for me but I do have clients that want to pay with CC or Debit. 
Esse Quam Videri

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 12:27:00 AM
iOS - Moovit: Crowdsourced public transportation GPS, will make routes through bus, train, or whatever public is in your region. Even where I live where there are very few people using and crowdsourcing it, it is still surprisingly accurate!
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 08:35:58 PM
Android: RealCalc, the possibility to add to the list of conversion factors and constants is really great.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:56 PM
Android - Iris: darkens the screen and adds red colour for late night phone viewing without blinding/awakening effect.
Adjustable settings and widget button for fast enable/disable.

- Bubble: water level working in 3 directions: height, width, flat.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 11:27:11 AM
Haven't really changed much on my android phone recently.

removed CCleaner & Cleaner Master as they are mostly bloatware now, maybe less so with ccleaner, but I reinstall once in a while for a cleanout.

Also swapped File Explorer in for ES File Explorer as it's become bloat.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 11:54:15 AM
Haven't really changed much on my android phone recently.

removed CCleaner & Cleaner Master as they are mostly bloatware now, maybe less so with ccleaner, but I reinstall once in a while for a cleanout.

Also swapped File Explorer in for ES File Explorer as it's become bloat.

I keep ccleaner on my android tablet but not my phone for the same reason. It's a handy app when needed.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 04:23:47 PM
IOS Navmii, free offline sat nav. Whilst not great, it is good enough for occasional use or to get you out of trouble if lost.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:51 PM
Android - Iris: darkens the screen and adds red colour for late night phone viewing without blinding/awakening effect.
Downloaded and am using this right now because of you.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 10:17:17 AM
iOS - Moovit: Crowdsourced public transportation GPS, will make routes through bus, train, or whatever public is in your region. Even where I live where there are very few people using and crowdsourcing it, it is still surprisingly accurate!

It's also available for Android. I downloaded it to see what it would show for my town for the buses, and I was pleasantly surprised. Though I don't think I'll be taking the bus to work anytime soon, 3 buses and a mile walk with a journey time of 1 hr 45 mins, for what takes me approx 15 mins to drive.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 10:18:03 AM

Me to, handy app for not going blind at night when checking the phone in bed

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 10:33:27 AM

Me to, handy app for not going blind at night when checking the phone in bed
So we're about to start a club now huh? :rofl: :cheers:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 02:31:49 PM
Android and iOS: Seven. It's an easy start to push yourself to exercise more frequently.

Android: Sleep for Android. If its still around, it's a decent sleep tracker and helps time when you should be going to bed for a particular wakeup time.

Android, iOS, and WP8.0/8.1/10: Netflix. Obviously.

Android, iOS, and WP8.0/8.1/10: Kindle. Read on the go without the bulk of a book.

WP8.0/8.1/?: HERE Drive+. GPS navigation which allows for offline map storage. Downside: Doesn't tell you on which side of the street your destination is.

Honorable mentions go to Translator and VLC player, but they are still buggy.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:35 PM
I use Aldiko instead of Kindle.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 08:48:21 PM
I use Aldiko instead of Kindle.

If I didn't already have several kindle books, and use a Windows phone, that looks like a nice eBook contender. :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 12:11:11 PM
Android (probably iOS as well) - Vehicle Smart - Great app for checking MOT and TAX info for any car in the UK. It has all the MOT info including any advisories. All you need is the Reg and Make.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 04:02:15 AM
(All for Android... Never used IOS.)

Army Knife for Android - A handy, lightweight collection of tools... kinda like the real thing, but for my phone. It includes flashlight, unit converter, timer, stopwatch, compass, level, calculator (standard & scientific), magnifier, mirror, & ruler. An interesting note: This used to be called "Swiss Army Knife", but I just recently saw it changed to "Army Knife for Android". I wonder if Vic gave them grief over the name?

Lookout - Security app that lets you find your phone's last location from any browser. You can also set of the alarm remotely, which has been handy when the phone gets misplaced around the home.

Power Toggles AND/OR Slider Widget - Lets me monitor and change lots of settings from my home screen. Both very customizable, but Power Toggles is just crazy that way. Slider Widget is great for seeing the various volume settings at a glance (media, ringer, notifications, voice, alarm, etc.).

Silent Boot - Mutes everything during shutdowns/reboots. I have no idea why I should need an app for this, since silent rebooting should be a built in option... The app is totally non-intrusive, I forgot I had it till I just looked through my app list.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%