Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Powergrab initial impressions

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
SOG Powergrab initial impressions
on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:02 PM
Got my Powergrab today and I am having some mixed feelings on this tool. I like the tool but I have some observations and thoughts on design and QC. I own the Powerplay and before that the Powerduo, seeing SOG take this journey is interesting. Seeing how they went with some of their told from American manufacturing to overseas they've had some growing pains.

First thing I wanted to do was open up the main blade, having owned a Powerassist and a Powerplay I thought this was going to be a nice cross between the two. I go to open it and have quite a bit of resistance then it pops open, almost cut my finger due to it popping open like it did. When I deploy it other tools come out with it. This tool has the piano locks but they are not working like on the Powerlock 2.0 or Assist due to the added locking mechanism. The blade has side to side and up and down play when locked up. I've attempted to adjust but the screws won't budge, possibly thread locked.

The tools are not exactly the same as those used in the above mentioned tools. They're manufactured in the same facility as the new Powergrab and don't feel the same as the American counterparts. They do work well and have passed what tests I've put them through today.

The SOG plier head continues to undergo more evolutionary changes, some good some bad. Mine seems to be good with the exception of some rub I have at the top of the cutters.

I also ended getting the plastic sheath like I have with the Powerplay but I feel it's not executed as well. Overall it's a good tool in spite of some niggly flaws. I'll give you an update as the week continues and I use it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SOG Powergrab initial impressions
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:39:58 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you have put a few miles on it Dave!

Thanks for the first look!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:35:25 PM
... When I deploy it other tools come out with it. ...

Say what?  :o That's not good, in my book.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:17:49 AM
I think it shouldn't happen due to the piano keys. It happens less on my Powerassist and Powerlock with the new locking mechanism. The Powergrab has the same locking system but adapted for this tool. There's a bar on the inside on the tool that pushes on the lock system when the tabs on the outside of the tool are moved. The keys are supposed to allow individual tension on each tool to prevent clumping but I feel this tab and added parts to the system cause the tension on all keys to change and thus cause clumping. I really like SOG's system and I'm kinda disappointed by this.

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:37:30 AM

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 05:43:14 PM
They aren't Piano Locks, thats why the knife drags all the other tools out.. Look at this picture:

It's pretty clear that SOG pinned all the individual "piano keys" together, so that when the knife is deployed, the knife key unlocks all the other keys with it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:46:45 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:49:52 PM
Not so, they are piano locks and have individual springs, I took this pic to illustrate the fact that the new mechanism to unlock the tools moves all the piano keys to unlock one tool. When you open the knife blade it partially activates the locking system and causes tension to loosen on individual keys and that causes be clumping.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 07:35:11 PM
So what's with those two pins? the keys do work individually?

Although honestly, if opening the blade releases tension on all the other locks, there really isn't much point in the piano locks anyhow...
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 07:45:19 PM
No not much point, when I get home I take a second look at the two pins in the photo. It's not all pinned as one block so I don't know why it looks like that. Was going to carry it today and ended up carrying the Boker Tech tool

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 09:33:47 PM
So what's with those two pins? the keys do work individually?

Although honestly, if opening the blade releases tension on all the other locks, there really isn't much point in the piano locks anyhow...
Ok I double checked. The other tool set in the other handle functions normally with the piano locks with the exception of the new locking system lifting all of them slightly when pulling out or removing a tool. Those piano locks are intact and resemble standard piano locks with the exception of the jimping. The other lock with the two one hand opening blades has the lock facing the inside where the pliers is at and has the cutout to accommodate the plier head. That lock system has pinned piano locks so they move as one unit. I am gathering this has something to do with the cutout they made for the plier head and it messing with the piano lock functionality. They pinned it together and used this new system to get the lock assembly to function given the big cutout. On the non blade side with the fill piano locks, you can see rivet holes are. They just were not used on that side due to it not being needed.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 10:36:08 PM
Will it be possible to replace the knives on the PowerGrab with some of SOGs other bits, like scissors, saw, v-cut? I'm thinking specifically that replacing the serrated blade with scissors would improve the functionality of the scissors.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:23:35 PM
Your saying move the scissors from the other handle to the one handed handled to facilitate faster opening?

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 11:24:28 PM
You could definitely add a v-cutter, unlike some folks I personally like the cutter and it's great for certain circumstances.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 11:30:45 PM
Your saying move the scissors from the other handle to the one handed handled to facilitate faster opening?

Well, yes. But not necessarily for faster access. So the actuating handle of the scissors would be sticking away from the tool

You could definitely add a v-cutter, unlike some folks I personally like the cutter and it's great for certain circumstances.

I love the v-cutter, too :tu: very handy
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 11:05:22 AM
How safe do you think are the blade locks? Looking at the shots I felt concerned that the blade can accidentally be unlocked when using it with a strong grip, while doing some hard work maybe. Can the fingers (thumb?) slide the lock to the unlocked position?

The piano locks usually are at the back of the handle, so there is no chance of accidental unlocking but on Powergrab the lock is on the side which causes some question marks on one's mind...

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 06:57:17 PM
No I've been using the blades very hard and it takes some force to disengage the locks. Due to their location and needing to pull both sides of the lock together it's highly unlikely that you'll cause the lock to fail by using it hard or grabbing it incorrectly.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 07:40:01 PM
Great review and initial thoughts Dave :tu: Great pics and seems to be a good conversation going on about this tool :like: :like:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 02:00:07 PM
Hi David, do you still own this tool? How is it holding so far?

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 02:13:35 PM
No more review? i may be tempted to buy one for Christmas (for myself of course  >:D )

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 03:51:00 PM
No more review? i may be tempted to buy one for Christmas (for myself of course  >:D )
Hellsing,

I'll write one, I'll make it a priority. I stopped testing and it got overshadowed by some other reviews. I'll write a proper one for you guys to read. Once I heard they decided to stop making them I didn't make it a priority, us collectors still want to know how it performs though huh.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 12:50:29 AM
I'm posting a review in the review section.....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD