Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thought on the PowerAccess

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Thought on the PowerAccess
on: April 06, 2017, 03:48:52 PM
Here's the latest addition to my collection, the SOG Poweraccess:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Thought on the PowerAccess
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:49:37 PM
I think this is a neat tool.  I really like the looks of it. 

It's funny because I wasn't a big fan of the PPP, but this one just has something about it.  Outside tools is a big plus.  The nail nicks aren't that helpful, but I can get the short tools out by pulling out the jeweler's driver or can opener.  Each of these either pulls the other tools out a bit, or allows more space to reach them:

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:50:19 PM
The protractor is a neat addition, not that I really have a need for it, but cool nonetheless.  I also like how the gears are not an issue digging into my palm, thanks to the bit driver setup, which was an issue I had with the PPP.

The handle splay is still an issue though, but less of a big deal to me now compared to my thoughts on it originally with the PPP. 

I've found in most cases that I don't need the pliers open to max width, so the splay isn't as much of a factor now.  It's still not my preference, but I can live with it.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 03:51:33 PM
Part of what drew me to it was the pocket clip.  However, the tool is light enough that it can ride next to my wallet no problem.  It will be good for my jeans though.  I don't like how high it rides though, at least at work, so I may just let it sit next to my wallet.  I wouldn't mind removing it as I think that would slightly improve the looks for me, but I will likely leave it be.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 03:52:04 PM
My other main issue is that the handles can't be extended like with the Rebar or Supertool, which has been handy for me in the past.  However, with as little as I really use my MTs, this isn't a huge issue, just a personal preference.  I think that's it for my thoughts for now.....

K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 02:47:51 PM
Thanks for the pics and write up.   :cheers:   Looks cool sure.   :tu:   But it's not for zoid.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 03:17:56 PM
Thanks for the pics and write up.   :cheers:   Looks cool sure.   :tu:   But it's not for zoid.
:cheers: buddy.  Why is it not for you?

K-Tibbs

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 03:23:40 PM
Thanks for sharing! I can't wait get mine in the mail :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 08:32:16 PM
Thanks for sharing! I can't wait get mine in the mail :tu:
It's a good multi :tu:  I look forward to your thoughts on it as well.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 03:45:49 AM
I decided to remove the clip on mine.  Funny since it was one of the features that drew me to it.  The tool feels slimmer and smoother now, and is light enough to ride in my back pocket.

It actually seems like an inside out PST.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 04:09:24 AM
I am a sheath person first but I am also a clip person as well :tu: but after seeing how slim that is I would remove the clip for sure :o It looks like a very lightweight tool now Mons :like: :like:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 05:24:53 AM
I am a sheath person first but I am also a clip person as well :tu: but after seeing how slim that is I would remove the clip for sure :o It looks like a very lightweight tool now Mons :like: :like:
I like it.  It feels much better to me.  Also worth noting is that there is the little hole on each side for the tab keeping the clip in place.  So it appears the clip could be moved to the other handle.

K-Tibbs

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:35:20 AM
I like it.  It feels much better to me.  Also worth noting is that there is the little hole on each side for the tab keeping the clip in place.  So it appears the clip could be moved to the other handle.

It can!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 05:37:43 AM

It can!
Have you got one?

K-Tibbs

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 06:09:47 PM

It can!
Have you got one?

I suppose I should officially join the club huh... Although you really should get out more... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71123.0.html :whistle:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:10:50 PM by sLaughterMed »

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 07:44:12 PM

It can!
Have you got one?

I suppose I should officially join the club huh... Although you really should get out more... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71123.0.html :whistle:
Lol, I even commented on that thread :facepalm:

K-Tibbs

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 06:16:27 AM
How do you feel about the small kinda thin blade? Felt like a scalpel to me  :think:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 08:57:44 PM
How do you feel about the small kinda thin blade? Felt like a scalpel to me  :think:
It's fine for me.  It is like a scalpel, and quite sharp.  I almost would've preferred a serrated or combo edge though since I already have a plain edge on my SAK.  Still, I can use it for stuff I'd rather not use my SAK blade for.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 09:00:06 PM

It can!
Have you got one?

Lol, I even commented on that thread :facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 03:14:53 AM
Is anyone else's PA loose enough to flip open like a balisong?  My PPP isn't loose like this.  I like it though, because it's fun to do ;)

K-Tibbs

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 02:17:38 PM
Yep, mine is.  Great fun. :tu:

I quite like it overall, though it can be hard to deploy some of the tools - particularly the large flat driver.  I find depressing the locks helps.  The file is pretty poor when compared to a Vic, but much better than the one on my Powerplay.  Not used the knife yet, and the flat drivers could do with touching up with a file to square the ends.  I might swap the blade for something else so it's a bit more UK friendly - I wonder if the SOG scissors fit?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:21:23 PM by hiraethus »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 04:17:40 PM
It is great fun ;)  Yeah, the file doesn't seem all tat great, but I do have the SAK file on my MechaRogue.  I'm not sure what other SOG implements would fit in this :think:

K-Tibbs

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 08:18:05 PM
Mine isn't quite loose enough to flip out without force (which means it busts my knuckles when I do it!)

Also, due to the changes SOG made o the lock notches, I don't think any of their other implements will fit without modification, except maybe some from the PowerPlay.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 11:21:00 AM
Used my PowerAccess a bit over the weekend, and rather like it.  It's nice and small and clips easily to my pocket. The tools on the file side are a bit loose and I really ought to tighten the screws if I can find my imperial hex keys.  Otherwise everything works as expected - the phillips driver is good and worked well on some fairly tight screws into wood, and the pliers worked really well for grabbing and snipping a bunch of cable ties.  The bottle opener works well :drink: and the knife, though small, was perfectly good at cutting some fabric ties and rope while helping my Mum tidy her house and garden.  First time I used the knife I blunted the edge on a hidden screw ::), but was able to easily resharpen it on my Victorinox pocket sharpener.  The handles are a little uncomfortable when gripping the pliers hard, but I found that shifting my grip towards the ends where the lock button are helps a lot.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 03:34:23 PM
Thanks for your thoughts hiraethus :)

K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!