Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rolling the dice

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Rolling the dice
on: April 08, 2017, 03:34:48 AM
After reading the thread about the clones and eBay ripoffs I decided to do a little experiment.

I bought a Tread for about $50.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/122435120986

The seller has 0 feedback, but interestingly enough it's coming from Germany, not Asia, so I am really on the fence as to whether it is legitimate or not.  The description is all in German, but Google Translate is a wonderful thing.  :D

Leatherman Tread
Multitool Armband

29 Always use tools
Hand luggage / Aircraft
17/4 Stainless steel
Color: stainless steel

Leatherman Tread - Always On Metric Edition

The tool bracelet with a total of 29 different tools has so far only been offered in the Anglo-American measuring system. Now the lifestyle tool is also available in the metric version. More than a pure tool!

Anytime, any place. With the functionality of a Leatherman tool - always with you. Our engineers have integrated practical tools such as allen wrenches, screwdrivers and ring wrenches in every of the 17/4 stainless steel bracelets - all securely on the wrist and quickly ready for use. The length can be adjusted in 1/4 inch increments to each wrist size. Individual design by using only the elements you most often need. The Leatherman Tread is not only functional but also looks good.

1 No. 1-2 cross-recess
2 1/4 inch ring wrench
3 3/16 inch screwdriver
4 / 6mm hex drive
5 10mm wrench
6 5mm hex drive
7 1/4 inch hex drive
8 Wrench for gas bottles
9 3/16 inch hex drive
10 1/8 inch hex drive
11 3/16 inch ring wrench
13 3/32 inch screwdriver
14 1/8 inch slotted screwdriver
15 4mm hex drive
16 8mm wrench
17 3mm hex drive
18 5/16 inch screwdriver
19 3/8 inch ring wrench
20 1/4 inch slotted screwdriver
21 No. 1 Cross slot
22 6mm wrench
23 No. 2 Cross slot
24 Hard metal glass breakers
25 mandrel / sim card tool
26 Cutting hooks
27 1/4 inch socket insert
28 bottle opener
29 No. 2 Square wrench
Weight: 168g

I am very curious to see if I got a deal or if I got a knockoff.  If it's not legitimate I'll make a claim to Paypal and get my $$ back.  If it is, I have made a heck of a score!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Rolling the dice
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:48:12 AM
Here's hoping that it is real and you got a great deal :cheers: :like: :like:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:30:11 AM
Hoping its not a lemon as well... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 06:33:29 AM
grant, if you receive the real item, or even a knockoff, I will donate $5 to MTO.org
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 06:57:29 AM
grant, if you receive the real item, or even a knockoff, I will donate $5 to MTO.org

I reckon your $5.00 is quite safe.  This looks very (very) similar to this one (which I reported and ebay promptly removed):

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71392.msg1454166.html#msg1454166
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 12:18:59 PM
That is what prompted me to give it a try.  It's worth the risk, given the various layers of protection with eBay and PayPal, and could be good for a laugh.

The photos are of the actual product, the description says Leatherman numerous times and I'm in a fairly unique position to say whether something is real or not, so I am not too worried.

My curiosity is this- if it's a fake, I really want to see what it is like.  While I don't usually condone buying fakes, I do feel that we need to do it once in a while as a public service, and I am curious to see what, if anything comes of it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 12:31:26 PM
The price is high enough to suggest a quality fake. The materials of the genuine one should cost about the same, but then you have all the other added costs/profit increasing the price.

For a really low quality fake I would expect the price to be a lot lower.

In reality I expect that you will get nothing, or some cheap $1 bracelet, light etc.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:44:49 PM
That's kind of what I'm expecting TBH.  But, if I get anything less than a genuine LM product I will get my money back and we will have more information to post on the forum.

Or, maybe it's simply someone who got one as a gift, doesn't like it or already has one and is trying to get rid of it.

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 03:42:38 PM

Or, maybe it's simply someone who got one as a gift, doesn't like it or already has one and is trying to get rid of it.

Let's all keep hoping that :dd:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 04:58:13 PM
Paypal Claims Department is an online shoppers best friend.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

de Offline JPS_

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 08:06:00 PM
You didnt buy a fake - you fell for a scammer. Well known scam on german Ebay. Search for the exact title and you will find one real seller offering it for 169€ - and you will find another zero ratings, freshly created account copying the exact text and images of the real auction. If its too good to be true - it mostly isn't. So don't hope that you will ever be receiving anything.

Heres another one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leatherman-Tread-Metric-Edelstahl-Multi-Tool-Armband-29-Werkzeuge-EU-Edition-/252848397855?hash=item3adef05e1f:g:rR4AAOSwAANY513D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 09:49:26 PM
........ Well known scam on german Ebay. Search for the exact title and you will find one real seller offering it for 169€ - and you will find another zero ratings, freshly created account copying the exact text and images of the real auction. If its too good to be true - it mostly isn't. So don't hope that you will ever be receiving anything.

Heres another one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leatherman-Tread-Metric-Edelstahl-Multi-Tool-Armband-29-Werkzeuge-EU-Edition-/252848397855?hash=item3adef05e1f:g:rR4AAOSwAANY513D

And this one has been removed too.  As long as people keep reporting them and ebay keeps removing them there is less chance for people to get sucked in  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 11:01:22 PM
Scam to what end?

Paypal will cover my money, and eBay will hold theirs until they get confirmation, so I'm really not sure what the scam is?

Def

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 11:17:00 PM
Scam to what end?

Paypal will cover my money, and eBay will hold theirs until they get confirmation, so I'm really not sure what the scam is?

Def

As I said in the other scam listings thread, I don't know what they are trying to do, but I am certain it won't be to your advantage.  Maybe they now have your confirmed paypal address and intend to do something with that ?   ???

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71392.msg1454760.html#msg1454760
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:18:05 PM by gregozedobe »

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 12:55:14 AM
i nearly brought from one of these listing earlier. been looking on aliexpress and these clones/fakes have been getting good reviews.(plenty of pics on there too).

after a bit of google-fu read that these scammers send out a letter or empty parcel to an address with same zip code as buyer so when a claim is raised they have proof of receipt so dispute goes in there favour.

hope this isnt the case with yours grant.

personally id get on to ebay and explain the situation. fasttech have them for few dollars more(with 10% discount easter weekend) and a much more reliable vendor.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 02:10:28 AM
I am sure this thread, coupled with all of the pics/video I would post of the opening, coupled with the repeated removal of these auctions would easily swing the results of a Paypal claim back in my favor.

Again, I am not worried.  It will be interesting to see this play out.

Def

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 10:49:37 AM
 :dwts: :popcorn: :dwts: :popcorn:
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 01:53:12 AM
Not sure if this is relevant here but sharing nonetheless

https://youtu.be/EMA-OHfPLXI

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 03:24:13 AM
I have yet to receive notification from the seller that it is shipped, so I have sent them a message to see.

It will be interesting to see if they respond. :D

Def

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 09:16:59 AM
I'll be honest, I'd much rather you receive a clone than nothing at all. A cheap Tread will be much more exciting than an empty scam.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 10:54:06 PM
Me too.  And frankly, if anyone is going to be scammed here, I'd rather it was me than anyone else testing it out and getting burned. 

I am not even surer anyone is doing a clone of the Tread?  Have you seen any?

Def

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 11:55:08 PM
Yes there's loads on aliexpress,  fasttech have only just got them in Stock so guess they've only just come out.  They sell other genuine leatherman but have tread clone isn't listed as leatherman.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 12:47:01 AM
I reckon some scammers just want to swoop in for quick bucks, without knowing PayPal has upper hand. Registered in US means nothing, unless sellers have past sales to back up.

Grant, while you are at it, why not a fancy SOG Forge for $25 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOG-FG01-L-Forge-Fixed-Blade-/252853828364?hash=item3adf433b0c:g:7iMAAOSw03lY6vl4) The real knife is beautiful.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 07:07:40 AM
Grant, while you are at it, why not a fancy SOG Forge for $25 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOG-FG01-L-Forge-Fixed-Blade-/252853828364?hash=item3adf433b0c:g:7iMAAOSw03lY6vl4) The real knife is beautiful.

Too late, it's gone (presumably removed) .....  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 01:01:51 PM
That knock off Tread at Ali Express is tempting, just to see how it compares to the real thing, but I honestly have to say I really don't believe I would pay $80 for one.  For that money I think I would save up and get a legitimate one for just under double that.  After all, the Tread isn't about actually doing or fixing anything, it's about showing off that you have a fancy Leatherman bracelet, so you could do something if you chose to.   :facepalm:

It's like my brother's Rolax watch that he bought for $5, except that was at least useful for a couple of years.

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 02:13:15 PM
That knock off Tread at Ali Express is tempting, just to see how it compares to the real thing, but I honestly have to say I really don't believe I would pay $80 for one.  For that money I think I would save up and get a legitimate one for just under double that.  After all, the Tread isn't about actually doing or fixing anything, it's about showing off that you have a fancy Leatherman bracelet, so you could do something if you chose to.   :facepalm:

It's like my brother's Rolax watch that he bought for $5, except that was at least useful for a couple of years.

Def
Thread now runs at 126 USD here in Switzerland (Metric / stainless). I was quite close to buying one, but I probably wouldn't wear it. But what really put me off was the choice of screws, makes the whole thing look cheap.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 03:13:45 AM
The seller's account seems to no longer be active, and I have yet to get any information regarding shipping.  EBay says the item should have arrived by today, but so far nothing has shown up so have pulled the pin on this one and requested my money back through Paypal. I doubt there will be any difficulty in recovering it.

Def

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 10:41:22 AM
So not even a clone?  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 04:41:20 PM
Not even a kiss on the cheek or a boot in the bum.

Just the joy of knowing that Paypal and eBay were nice enough to hold my money for a while.   :ahhh

And still holding it.... :facepalm:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 06:13:18 PM
I guess we can put this one to bed now- eBay refunded my money about fifteen minutes ago, so I guess that's about it.  Fail all around, as expected.

It seems like pretty solid proof that a "too good to be true" deal is just that- not true.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%