Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Power Access owners' club

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Re: Power Access owners' club
Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 03:15:04 PM
That pointed needle nose, and the extra grip on the pliers have made the  acquisition already worth it.
The other tools  however, are a bit dinky to my liking. Good for small stuff, but that's it.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 11:00:12 AM
Thinking of joining the club- any more feedback on the tool? Saw the warning with the blade folding back but nothing else. I'm actually choosing this over another tool (an MP400) coz, well, this is a relatively new model and it seems to have positive feedback so far.  Though it's not going to be facing any heavy duty work like cutting barbed wire or diamond-shaped fencing, I want a usable tool and not a new toy.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 02:21:01 PM
And how big is the power access?  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 05:42:35 PM
And how big is the power access?  :)
Juice, PowerAccess, Skeletool and MP600
IMG_0790.jpeg
* IMG_0790.jpeg (Filesize: 453.31 KB)
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 05:47:23 PM
And Kevin did some measuring for me. :)
All dimensions are in millimetres. Hopefully these are ok

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you you two.  :salute:

All hail the hook!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #35 on: August 07, 2017, 07:30:22 AM
I guess I'm in.  Not exactly a proud owner but an owner and user none the less! 

All that filing on the back of the locks helped rid the gap between the plier handles.  The result is that the harder you clamp your hand around the tool, the lesser risk of the blade over extending upward.  This works almost as well on the flat head tool as well.  Previously, the harder you clamp both handles down, the higher the risk of the knife or flat head folding upward -- now it's the opposite!  :tu:

I have to admit that this tool really reads good on paper:
1. Compound leverage
2. Outside accessible tools
3. One-hand opening and one-hand closing of pliers
4. Teeth of the gears are covered
5. Approx 4-inch when closed allows for easy carry with pocket-clip.
6. Can accommodate hex screw bits (sold separately  ;) )

IMG_4838.JPG
* IMG_4838.JPG (Filesize: 119.44 KB)
IMG_4839.JPG
* IMG_4839.JPG (Filesize: 152.12 KB)

us Offline the_dude

Reply #36 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:45 PM
i purchased one on here a couple weeks back.  i have mixed feelings about it.

pros:

fantastic set of pocket pliers.  maybe the best small pliers i have ever used.  solid, no slop.  really an engineering marvel. 

lightweight, and compact.  a very pocket-friendly tool.

nice selection of drivers.  i've love to have a saw as well, but that's just personal preference.

cons:

the drivers/tools themselves are fairly light duty and flimsy feeling.  the first time i used the phillips head, i applied a little torque, and it felt like i was going to twist the driver right out of the tool.

minor clumping.

the trade-off for outside-opening drivers is an uncomfortable handle when using the pliers for any real use.

the washers in between each driver creates enough space for side-to-side play.  i would rather see slightly thicker drivers and no washers (if at all possible) to achieve a more robust tool.

the power access is close to a perfect edc pocket plier/mt, but it misses the mark just slightly.  it feels like a nicely engineered and well-built toy.  hopefully future versions can address this. 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:12:28 PM by the_dude »

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 02:06:08 AM
i purchased one on here a couple weeks back.  i have mixed feelings about it.

pros:

fantastic set of pocket pliers.  maybe the best small pliers i have ever used.  solid, no slop.  really an engineering marvel. 

lightweight, and compact.  a very pocket-friendly tool.

nice selection of drivers.  i've love to have a saw as well, but that's just personal preference.

cons:

the drivers/tools themselves are fairly light duty and flimsy feeling.  the first time i used the phillips head, i applied a little torque, and it felt like i was going to twist the driver right out of the tool.

minor clumping.

the trade-off for outside-opening drivers is an uncomfortable handle when using the pliers for any real use.

the washers in between each driver creates enough space for side-to-side play.  i would rather see slightly thicker drivers and no washers (if at all possible) to achieve a more robust tool.

the power access is close to a perfect edc pocket plier/mt, but it misses the mark just slightly.  it feels like a nicely engineered and well-built toy.  hopefully future versions can address this.

I would agree about the uncomfortable handling and ideal size to power ratio the pliers have.

Have you tried to tighten the screw pivots on the tools which have significant side-to-side play?  You should be able to find that sweet spot where 1) there isn't any side-to-side play 2) there isn't any tool clumping.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 02:23:57 AM
I'll just drop it here -- the blade needed a touch up and I wanted to have a pair of scissors along the way.

The second pic is basically the PowerAccess support group. 
IMG_4842.JPG
* IMG_4842.JPG (Filesize: 162.3 KB)
IMG_4841.JPG
* IMG_4841.JPG (Filesize: 162.3 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 07:55:56 PM
I'm curious, what are the driver sizes?  :)

All hail the hook!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 02:21:09 AM
I'm curious, what are the driver sizes?  :)

On the Power Access? Not sure but could be a philips #1 and flathead #2.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 02:24:03 AM
I'm just gonna drop this here:

I swapped inner tools.  The knife, philips, awl and flat head are now on the "working side".  The can opener, bottle opener, eyeglass screwdriver and file are on the "folding up" side.  I won't apply that much strain on those tools anyway so I don't have to worry that much about the tools flipping up due to the problematic lock.

Really trying my best to like this tool and make it work!
IMG_4873.JPG
* IMG_4873.JPG (Filesize: 164.13 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 10:27:17 AM

I swapped inner tools.  The knife, philips, awl and flat head are now on the "working side".  The can opener, bottle opener, eyeglass screwdriver and file are on the "folding up" side.  I won't apply that much strain on those tools anyway so I don't have to worry that much about the tools flipping up due to the problematic lock.

You're determined, that's for sure. Nobody can accuse you of not giving it a fair chance  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:15 AM

You're really giving it a fair chance to prove itself.  :cheers:

Any troubles moving the inner tools?
I'd like to remove some tools on mine when it gets here, to make it a more suitable partner for my SAK.

All hail the hook!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 12:23:09 PM

You're really giving it a fair chance to prove itself.  :cheers:

Any troubles moving the inner tools?
I'd like to remove some tools on mine when it gets here, to make it a more suitable partner for my SAK.

No trouble really. I just don't remember the original sequence of who had how many washers where...

The thumb nicks are designed to follow a certain sequence so it's a puzzle of sorts. The 3D driver either needs smaller tools beside it or more washers.

You may need a small clamp to hold innards in place. The  horizontal bar that locks the tools when folded and the tool lock themselves can fall out when you unscrew the tools. Think of an 'H' where the horizontal bar will fall out.

Hope you have extra washers if you're gonna leave tools out.

Aside from that, it's a fun experience!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 03:30:57 AM
Here's something amusing -- was carrying the Power Access as EDC yesterday during a field trip.  Nothing heavy expected -- nothing a SAK Signature couldn't handle.  I had the Power Access riding my pocket using the built-in clip.

What happened is that the clip slid off the retaining tab because I purposely didn't screw it in very tight to be able to flip it open like a balisong.  So there I was, back in the bus tightening the screw of the pocket clip all the way  :facepalm:

If there's really one thing the Power Access has going for it, it's the size and power ratio!

(I actually managed to slightly turn the screw at the tools of an MP-600 to adjust the tension of the tools to give it a "click". The pliers grip was good that it didn't slip off the smooth screw head.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:45:51 AM by Zephon »

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #46 on: August 28, 2017, 04:33:01 PM
I re sequenced the tools on the working side of my PowerAccess.

It's now: blade, washer, awl, washer, washer, philips, washer, flat head, washer.

The thing about the 3D philips is either you put short tools beside it or give more distance to the tool beside it.

us Offline the_dude

Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 03:57:46 AM
after a few more weeks of edc'ing the power access, and using it on a daily basis, i have less mixed feelings and more negative feelings.

everything i mentioned about it negatively in my previous post is still true, but amplified over time and extended use.

the latest strike against it came tonight.  using the larger flathead driver to remove three screws from an appliance that i was repairing.  applying any amount of pressure or torque at all, made the tool flex and feel like it was going to get damaged.  the screws didn't budge, but i did manage to experience the unfortunate driver unlock during use.  closed right on my fingers. 

this tool is a novelty, a well thought-out toy.  not made for real world use.  the frame flexes too much, which cause the locked drivers to become unlocked.  not confidence inspiring to say the least.

on a side note, i pulled out my leatherman sidekick to do the job.  screws popped loose easily.  the tool didn't flex a bit. 

oh well.  maybe SOG will read this and take the critiques seriously.  i really, really, really wanted to like this MT. 

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 12:58:49 AM
PowerAccess, Style ES, Grappler
IMG_0941.jpeg
* IMG_0941.jpeg (Filesize: 322.44 KB)
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
*=mod

fi Offline Padre

Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 01:14:38 PM
after a few more weeks of edc'ing the power access, and using it on a daily basis, i have less mixed feelings and more negative feelings.

everything i mentioned about it negatively in my previous post is still true, but amplified over time and extended use.

the latest strike against it came tonight.  using the larger flathead driver to remove three screws from an appliance that i was repairing.  applying any amount of pressure or torque at all, made the tool flex and feel like it was going to get damaged.  the screws didn't budge, but i did manage to experience the unfortunate driver unlock during use.  closed right on my fingers. 

this tool is a novelty, a well thought-out toy.  not made for real world use.  the frame flexes too much, which cause the locked drivers to become unlocked.  not confidence inspiring to say the least.

on a side note, i pulled out my leatherman sidekick to do the job.  screws popped loose easily.  the tool didn't flex a bit. 

oh well.  maybe SOG will read this and take the critiques seriously.  i really, really, really wanted to like this MT.

My first Charge ALX broke in two when I used the flathead on a rusty screw. I used the tool like a T-handle. SOG wont let you do that because of the compound leverage, but this is a test that not many MTs can handle.

Sad to hear that you are not enjoying PowerAccess. Are you thinking some other tool or contacting SOG warranty?
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #50 on: September 22, 2017, 02:37:01 PM

While I don't like the Sidekick, it's for ergonomic reasons, and my belief that screwdrivers need to lock and blades don't (not the other way round), not because of any specific failure to function. Here we have a tool which LM specifically designed to be sold at minimal cost, which still functions as advertised, having to be used when a SOG tool intended to be sold at a higher cost simply doesn't do the job. Aside from the locking defects, the SOG flexes more than LM's lowest priced (at time of commercial release) offerings, and fails to do a simple screwdriving task that a bargain basement model can do. This speaks volumes against the SOG brand, and is yet another page in a catalogue of failures.

I said a while ago that I no longer have any faith in the brand, and more and more people are starting to make similar mutterings (despite wanting to like the tools). SOG need to realise that customers won't keep trying them if they keep churning out crap like this. Some customers have forgiven them for the PowerDuo or whatever it was called, but they haven't released a product since (to my knowledge) which has had overwhelmingly good reviews. That's simply not sustainable, and it makes me wonder if SOG have given up on their own brand too. Maybe they think there's more money to be made in novelty tool shaped "dad gifts" than in proper functional tools. This seems to be the new norm from them, so it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing any "proper" tools from them anytime soon.

I know SOG read this forum, so if they would care to comment on this, I would be very interested to hear what they have to say for themselves.  :pok:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 23, 2017, 06:42:49 AM
I have a SOG PPP that I basically like and often will throw into a laptop or photo equipment bag or a jacket pocket when I don't expect to really need to have a tool. When the Poweraccess was announced I was sure I was going to get one as it solves or almost solves two of the biggest problems for me with the PPP, uncomfortable under tight grip handles and non-locking drivers. But I have to say after reading some of the feedback here my enthusiasm has greatly diminished :think:

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #52 on: September 24, 2017, 01:09:55 AM
At work today
IMG_0948.jpeg
* IMG_0948.jpeg (Filesize: 496.43 KB)
*=mod

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 03:59:46 PM
I didn't think this required a new thread, so I came where the experts are  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

I haven't seen anyone swap out tools on the poweraccess, can this be done? For instance replacing the file with the v-cutter?

Also, are the PA tools an upgrade from the Powerlock inner tools? One of the reasons I let go of my PL is because the inner tools outside of the blade and v cutter where unreliable and didn't really lock. Just a little pressure and the tools would fold. Or they would bend because of weak metal. Has SOG fixed this with their newer tools?

It does feel good to be able to check in with you all again  :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #54 on: March 27, 2018, 05:14:42 PM
I didn't think this required a new thread, so I came where the experts are  :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

I haven't seen anyone swap out tools on the poweraccess, can this be done? For instance replacing the file with the v-cutter?

Also, are the PA tools an upgrade from the Powerlock inner tools? One of the reasons I let go of my PL is because the inner tools outside of the blade and v cutter where unreliable and didn't really lock. Just a little pressure and the tools would fold. Or they would bend because of weak metal. Has SOG fixed this with their newer tools?

The access frame is completely different than the other SOG MTs. So, as of now, the tools are not cross-compatible.
I would send that Powerlock back to SOG. I have six PowerLocks and all of them stay locked up during use. :think:
My PowerAccess is the only one that has inner tools that collapse. I will send it back to SOG one day though.
Glad you checked back in, Demel!

I have a PowerAccess Deluxe on pre-order here and hope it has addressed the Access issues. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 05:44:03 PM

The access frame is completely different than the other SOG MTs. So, as of now, the tools are not cross-compatible.
I would send that Powerlock back to SOG. I have six PowerLocks and all of them stay locked up during use. :think:
My PowerAccess is the only one that has inner tools that collapse. I will send it back to SOG one day though.
Glad you checked back in, Demel!

I have a PowerAccess Deluxe on pre-order here and hope it has addressed the Access issues. :)

Thanks that helps a lot. The interchangeable tools were one of the biggest pulls for SOG tools. I do hope they reintroduce them at some point.

I let the Powerlock go awhile back. I was downsizing my collection quite a bit, and I no longer needed that large of a tool. I've thought about buying a different one but after awhile just lost interest in it.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #56 on: March 28, 2018, 04:53:26 PM
FWIW, my PL had those tool unlocking issues.  :P Once deployed fully, the tools would unlock and fold on you with minimal pressure. Not happening with my Blacktip(s)... :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 29, 2018, 02:49:45 PM
FWIW, my PL had those tool unlocking issues.  Once deployed fully, the tools would unlock and fold on you with minimal pressure. Not happening with my Blacktip(s)... :whistle:
And with the name POWERLOCK....It was frustrating to say the least. I didn't feel I could rely on it after a while.

How's the blacktip compare? Was that one of their US made models?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #58 on: March 30, 2018, 10:57:27 PM
FWIW, my PL had those tool unlocking issues.  Once deployed fully, the tools would unlock and fold on you with minimal pressure. Not happening with my Blacktip(s)... :whistle:
And with the name POWERLOCK....It was frustrating to say the least. I didn't feel I could rely on it after a while.

How's the blacktip compare? Was that one of their US made models?

sorry i just read your response.
Yeah, with the "POWER" on the name one would expect at least some reliable locks for those powerful tools... :ahhh
The Piano locks on my (originally) three Blacktips were much more safe and strong, never failed me in fact. The PL was a USA made for all I know.  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #59 on: March 31, 2018, 03:07:51 AM
The PowerLock came out in 1998 if I'm not mistaken. It is still in production. The early ones were USA and weren't very consistent. The PL 2.0 is much better machined and made overseas. There was a short run on PLs that had piano key locks made in the USA and China that are VERY nice, but hard to find. The PowerAssist has the piano locks on one handle(and two outside assisted blades on the other handle) like the BlackTip. :tu:

I have four USA PLs and they lock up fine, but have read a lot of people having lockup issues though, particularly the early USA ones having lockup issues.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%