Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A diary of a molle sheath

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
on: April 08, 2017, 04:28:41 PM
Well I am gonna try to catalog the use of my molle sheath :tu: It is the inferior cheaper made one and I thought it would last but it is already showing signs of wear :facepalm: The MP600 challenge has been particularly rough on it because of the little but of plier that sticks out of it :ahhh It first knocked the grommet out that was at the bottom and now has decided to make another hole as well :-\

20170408_071651 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

I decided to put some cloth in the bottom of it so the problem doesn't get any worse :o

20170408_071706 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

So far so good the cloth seems to be doing its job :tu:

20170408_071720 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

The velcro is still holding up but we shall see how long that lasts :ahhh

I am going to carry this sheath exclusively until it completely fails or falls apart :D I will try for weekly pic updates or if something major fails then a pic then :tu:

If anyone else has been carrying a molle sheath of either kind please put how it's doing and if any problems with it or if it has been bullet proof let me know as well :cheers: and as always pics are great :dd:

Also if anyone has a good quality molle sheath they want to part with I am willing to try and buy or trade for it  :tu: I really like this sheath and was hoping for more but alas it is not to be so ::)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:06:47 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Re: A diary of a molle sheath
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 05:53:04 PM
I have one for ya Poncho. OG molle with the big ole drain. Its been used to carry a few times, nothing major like crawling around in the dirt carry type stuffs. The sheath still has that new sheen to it. I'll get some pictures up to show. No trade or charge though. Its a sheath. 
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:00:45 PM
I have one for ya Poncho. OG molle with the big ole drain. Its been used to carry a few times, nothing major like crawling around in the dirt carry type stuffs. The sheath still has that new sheen to it. I'll get some pictures up to show. No trade or charge though. Its a sheath.

I do really appreciate the offer Ben :salute: Very nice of you and PM incoming :cheers:

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 07:31:38 PM
Here is the traveler. Again, light use. These sheaths do hold up extremely well. I think in '12 or '13 these came with a ST300 and a BO Wave. My user is still in good condition after all this time. No major issues really. The velcro is wearing to no surprise. No tares,rips or any fraying. There is one dud molle around and it dosent see the light of day. Along with a slurry of iffy LM sheaths.

Excutive not included.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:39:09 PM
Very nice Ben :dd: :like: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 09:51:45 PM
Very generous offer Ben    :like: :cheers: :tu:

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 11:45:02 PM

Just helping out.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 04:12:53 PM

Just helping out.

+1 Steve :tu: and Thanks again Ben :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 04:18:05 PM
Well I don't sheath carry on Sundays usually so not much to be reported other than it won't get carried today :D

The cloth I used will help it to last longer as I have used this method on other things over the years, like once I had a small hole form in a work coat so I put the cloth in there and not only did it make the pocket noticeable warmer but it also helped for a long while the hole from getting any worse :tu:

The cloth I used was from an old Carhartt coat that has long since been throw away, well except for the large piece of cloth I cut out of the back :whistle: so I could use it for patching my work clothes :cheers: It has been really helpful over the years to make many of my work pants to last many many months sometimes years longer :o I use it along with Tear Mender (a fabric glue that is near indestructible) and have had many good results :tu:

OK :b2t: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 04:20:50 PM
The grommet also came out of my molle sheath as well.  Its also very thin at the bottom.  I'll snap a few pics later hopefully showing how this its gotten.  You can easily see thru it.  I'm also using it till it falls apart.  My nicer LM Molle sheath however is holding up wonderfully.   I think the sheath Ben is seeing is a better quality one. 

:tu: Ben. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 04:25:55 PM
The grommet also came out of my molle sheath as well.  Its also very thin at the bottom.  I'll snap a few pics later hopefully showing how this its gotten.  You can easily see thru it.  I'm also using it till it falls apart.  My nicer LM Molle sheath however is holding up wonderfully.   I think the sheath Ben is seeing is a better quality one. 

Would love to see pics Aloha :tu: Join in with me in the diary of the molle sheath if you will :D Yes the sheath that Ben is sending definitely looks like the better molle sheath and looks like it could stand a lot more use :like: :like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 04:28:02 PM

Would love to see pics Aloha :tu: Join in with me in the diary of the molle sheath if you will :D Yes the sheath that Ben is sending definitely looks like the better molle sheath and looks like it could stand a lot more use :like: :like:
Was planning on grabbing a LM molle sheath from a tactical store nearby.

No more...

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 05:45:06 PM
I will be watching this thread for sure :tu:  i have a couple of the same not so nice versions i think but really havent put them to the test. It will be interesting to see how long it remains useable.

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 07:10:05 PM
Grant made a thread compairing the cool US made molle sheath to the china made one. Im not savoy in my forum thread snatching ability to provide a link. In that thread there is a link to another compairison of what is considerd the better sheath and limping dog sheath.

The molle still in use is holding up great. I sorta already wrote on this particular sheath but no pics. Again, the velcro is wearing. Really the only downside to it. Its been in use since I was a wee lil lad here on the forum in '12, I think?

The cuts in the molle webbing are from me. I needed a little relief so this thing could fit a belt.

Shade is being thrown but the fluffy hook part of the velcro is still manages to catch and secure a tool. 

Also, health tip. Check for ticks on your persons and animals. I just picked two off me from doing yard work. Nasty things.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 08:14:03 PM

No more...

It all depends on which Molle sheath they are selling, check out this topic to find out which is the good one, and which is the bad and ugly one ...  :salute:

P.S.: I'm still here mate, real life just keeps getting in the way of my MTO time  ;).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 08:43:12 PM

No more...

If you can check the sheath put before you buy and it is the nicer version then you should be fine to get it :tu: I have never seen one for sale at any store nearby and that was the reason I ordered one ;) :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:05 PM

No more...

It all depends on which Molle sheath they are selling, check out this topic to find out which is the good one, and which is the bad and ugly one ...  :salute:

P.S.: I'm still here mate, real life just keeps getting in the way of my MTO time  ;).

Great link and glad to see you TG :tu: :like: :like:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:47:36 PM by Poncho65 »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 11:19:41 PM
That is really terrible.  I don't like the China made sheath, but even I didn't expect it to fall apart that quickly.

I can sort of see the MP600 poking a hole in it, but really, it shouldn't have happened quite that fast.  I'd be really annoyed, but I guess as Leatherman doesn't warranty the sheaths, they can send the tools out the door wearing any old piece of garbage.  After all, worst case scenario, someone just buys a new Leatherman....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 11:40:55 PM
Here are 2 of my lessor quality molle sheaths.  What I have found is the molle on the pouch is very thin.  The other parts are thicker and when the pouch area finally tears I'll use some better quality material for the pouch are and reuse the other parts. 
IMG_2710.JPG
* IMG_2710.JPG (Filesize: 267.79 KB)
IMG_2711.JPG
* IMG_2711.JPG (Filesize: 174.88 KB)
IMG_2712.JPG
* IMG_2712.JPG (Filesize: 280.4 KB)
IMG_2713.JPG
* IMG_2713.JPG (Filesize: 181.86 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 11:41:40 PM
I have not found this problem on my MUT Mollie sheath. 

So like I said when the pouch area tears out I'll sew on a new pouch since all other parts are pretty solid. 
IMG_2714.JPG
* IMG_2714.JPG (Filesize: 183.64 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 11:43:18 PM
That is really terrible.  I don't like the China made sheath, but even I didn't expect it to fall apart that quickly.

I can sort of see the MP600 poking a hole in it, but really, it shouldn't have happened quite that fast.  I'd be really annoyed, but I guess as Leatherman doesn't warranty the sheaths, they can send the tools out the door wearing any old piece of garbage.  After all, worst case scenario, someone just buys a new Leatherman....  :facepalm:

Def

When I bought my Leatherman OHT it also came with the crappy Molle sheath, and it looked like the OHT would poke that draining hole out of the sheath in no time.  Until somebody here at MTO told me I should try to place the OHT with the plier head up in the sheath (I always put my multitools plier head down).  The handles of the OHT still put quite a bit of tension on the bottom of the sheath, but not as much as with the tip down, and not as much on the draining hole.

But it's still sad that Leatherman gives such a piece of s**t as a sheath along with their tools ...  ::)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 03:53:14 AM

Def

When I bought my Leatherman OHT it also came with the crappy Molle sheath, and it looked like the OHT would poke that draining hole out of the sheath in no time.  Until somebody here at MTO told me I should try to place the OHT with the plier head up in the sheath (I always put my multitools plier head down).  The handles of the OHT still put quite a bit of tension on the bottom of the sheath, but not as much as with the tip down, and not as much on the draining hole.

But it's still sad that Leatherman gives such a piece of s**t as a sheath along with their tools ...  ::)

I carry it pliers pointing down because it is convenient ::) :D I never would have thought that it would have torn through that quickly either :ahhh Guess we will see how long it goes with the cloth in it :tu: I may end up patching it with Tear mender but it may not help :shrug: :D Of note I bought this sheath by itself and had high hopes that I was getting one of the good ones but it wasn't so :facepalm: At least it will be a fun experiment :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 03:55:42 AM
I have not found this problem on my MUT Mollie sheath. 

So like I said when the pouch area tears out I'll sew on a new pouch since all other parts are pretty solid.

Thanks for the pics Aloha :salute: I would be interested to see what kind of material you are going to use to put a new sheath on it as I may do the same because the rest of the sheath does seem better :salute: :like:

Also like to see how long they last you in this shape as well :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 07:34:38 AM

No more...

He is alive ladies and gentlemen! :ahhh

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 01:20:12 PM
Maybe it is because they are designed for the MP600, but I have Gerber sheaths that are years old and they don't have holes in them despite always carrying a Gerber with the plier head down.

I am disappointed by the lack of resistance with the cheap sheath, but I suppose I'm not as surprised as I should be.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 01:46:55 PM
Maybe it is because they are designed for the MP600, but I have Gerber sheaths that are years old and they don't have holes in them despite always carrying a Gerber with the plier head down.

I am disappointed by the lack of resistance with the cheap sheath, but I suppose I'm not as surprised as I should be.   :facepalm:

Def

Guess it's what I get for carrying a Gerber in a LM sheath ::) I have a Gerber sheath but have been using this sheath without much oroblem.since I got it a month and a half ago or so :shrug: just thought that this would be fine as well :facepalm:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:13 PM
Think about how nice a molded plastic or kydex sheath would be coming with a tool.... especially one that fits almost flat to your body. even if it was just a buying option, kind of like buying a tool and bit kit combo, just with sheaths... i know it would increase packaging and manufacturing costs overall but it would have to make their sales increase somewhat? And they could make a lot of money selling nice aftermarket sheaths fir their own products, if they are good, that is.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:21:49 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 04:50:52 PM
A mass produced kydex sheath for a LM :dd: :like:

They are already focused on a niche market with the higher end MTs that they have so why not make them that little bit nicer with a better sheath :shrug: More clip options would be nice as well :cheers: Monrogue has fit several LM with the clip from the Sidekick/Wingman series so it can be done  :tu: LM just needs to take the initiative and design a clip that will work on more or all of them :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 04:55:23 PM
I think I have slowed down the effects of the Gerber pliers tearing a hole in the bottom with the piece of cloth but not stopped it ::) I am hopig it lasts the rest of the month at which time I will swap overy to the better molle sheath :tu: Well that is if this one is about gone :D But if it is still usable I will still be using it but I am doubtful it will be :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 04:57:02 PM
I may also try my hand at putting a better pouch in this sheath as Aloha has already mentioned trying on one of his :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%