Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A diary of a molle sheath

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: A diary of a molle sheath
Reply #60 on: April 20, 2017, 06:52:10 PM
That sheath came with my Rebar and it really feels flimsy. Not surprised to see one dying so quickly. I haven't used mine enough to kill it, but the tape/ribbon that seals off the opening is so cheap it started to tear almost immediately.

Although it must be said that I've had much bigger issues with Leatherman sheaths...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61956.0.html

Crazy :o just read the thread you linked to and I can't believe how quickly that tore :facepalm: I don't think I have one.of those type that are that new and have never (thankfully) had a problem with LM leather sheaths :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 06:52:36 PM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:        :nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: April 27, 2017, 04:53:27 PM
Well as you can see from the pic the hole is worsening  :facepalm: It is still going to last me through the MP challenge though :D

20170427_083054 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

The cloth for sure slowed the process down but it isn't going to take much more :ahhh

Been fun updating on this sheath and hopefully will save some the heartache of buying and using one of the cheap versions of this sheath :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: May 03, 2017, 04:50:37 AM
Well the 2 holes are almost 1 :facepalm: I think after this pic that now the sheath only has 1 hole :ahhh I will try an dget a pic tomorrow to show the hole now :-\ I am getting a bit nervous that I may lose a tool now but hopefully the piece of cloth will keep anything from going through :salute: :cheers:

20170501_164257 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:37 AM
Well the 2 holes are almost 1 :facepalm: I think after this pic that now the sheath only has 1 hole :ahhh I will try an dget a pic tomorrow to show the hole now :-\ I am getting a bit nervous that I may lose a tool now but hopefully the piece of cloth will keep anything from going through :salute: :cheers:

That thing is disintegrating!  :sa:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 12:06:15 PM

That thing is disintegrating!  :sa:

Yes and that is quite disappointing  :facepalm: I have had other nylon LM sheaths that even after the velcro has worn out I just put a snap on it and kept using it :tu: I was looking at one last night in fact that I had pit a snap on and it was still seviceable even after carrying it for well over a year and had only began to wear some :cheers: This sheath was suppose to be the sheath I use for all my MTs, this way I just change out the tool instead of sheath and all. Doesn't look like that will happen with this one :facepalm: I have another (better quality version one) that I plan on starting to use when I retire this one (thanks again Ben :salute: ) and from the reviews I should get way more use out of it :salute:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:09:23 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: May 05, 2017, 07:43:08 PM
Still have this molle sheath on me :salute: My carries the last few days have not seemed to had any negative effects on it :shrug:

For this keeping count I carried a  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh on Monday,  a Rebar on Tuesday,  a Buck tool on Wednesday, an OG Supertool on Thursday and a BO Supertool 300 today :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: May 08, 2017, 04:50:07 PM
Well finally got around to taking a pic of the hole in this molle sheath  ::) It hasn't really gotten any worse since I started carrying other MTs instead of the MP600 :D Apparently it was the tip of the pliers that were really working on the hole even with the fabric in the bottom to slow it down :facepalm: I am still using it and as long as the hole doesn't get any worse I will continue to carry it until it falls apart or fails :D

20170507_193104 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: May 25, 2017, 10:26:26 PM
Not done an update on this in a while ::)

Well since the MP challenge has been over and I started carrying different MTs this sheath hasn't gotten any worse :shrug:

I guess it just didn't get along with the Gerber :D

Either way if it gets any worse I will let you guys know :tu: but as of now I am still using daily :salute:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #69 on: May 25, 2017, 10:48:58 PM
So as one would have guessed, the MP's jutting pliers were definitely to blame. It's kinda funny though, how Gerber's seemingly lower end nylon sheaths are apparently able to handle it much better. They don't look like much, with the standard ones being super generic in design. And the dual sheath, which accommodates a tool and the bit kit, doesn't wear out so easily even though the pliers rest on it in a similar way. Wonder if it's the way the nylon is woven or some other factor?  :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: May 25, 2017, 11:22:50 PM
So as one would have guessed, the MP's jutting pliers were definitely to blame. It's kinda funny though, how Gerber's seemingly lower end nylon sheaths are apparently able to handle it much better. They don't look like much, with the standard ones being super generic in design. And the dual sheath, which accommodates a tool and the bit kit, doesn't wear out so easily even though the pliers rest on it in a similar way. Wonder if it's the way the nylon is woven or some other factor?  :think:

I was wondering the same.thing but who knows :shrug: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: June 13, 2017, 03:55:54 AM
Well the molle sheath hole hasn't got any progressively worse :o Guess it just didn't like that MultiPlier :think: :D Gonna carry it daily until it fails though :salute: :tu:

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #72 on: June 20, 2017, 05:31:47 AM
Great diary poncho :cheers:
I'm just about to pick up my new BO Surge with molle sheath and I will definitely give the molle sheath a go after this read :tu:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:50 AM
Great diary poncho :cheers:
I'm just about to pick up my new BO Surge with molle sheath and I will definitely give the molle sheath a go after this read :tu:

Great to hear :salute: Also let us know how it goes with the sheath :tu: Mine is still going and I have been carrying at least 5-6 days a week since I started carrying it :cheers:

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #74 on: June 21, 2017, 01:25:50 PM

Great to hear :salute: Also let us know how it goes with the sheath :tu: Mine is still going and I have been carrying at least 5-6 days a week since I started carrying it :cheers:
Well after the first day of the molle carry, the drain hole rivet has already departed.
Good start .

I might put the rest of my thoughts and experiences in my 'Surge or Rebar?' thread so I don't clog up your diary mate. :salute:
Tom

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: June 21, 2017, 03:01:54 PM
I don't mind a bit if you put your thought about it in here :salute: I just can't believe it failed so quickly :facepalm: :ahhh it took mine a little while for the rivet to come out :o The surge may just be to manly for the molle :rofl:

Hope you get more than just a little use out of that sheath :oops:

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #76 on: June 21, 2017, 09:35:33 PM
I don't mind a bit if you put your thought about it in here :salute: I just can't believe it failed so quickly :facepalm: :ahhh it took mine a little while for the rivet to come out :o The surge may just be to manly for the molle :rofl:

Hope you get more than just a little use out of that sheath :oops:
:tu: :tu: :tu:
Tom

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #77 on: July 01, 2017, 01:57:50 AM
How's that molle sheath travelling Poncho?
I retired mine - really didn't like it. Got my Surge in a leather/nylon sheath from my st300 which holds my led lenser p2 in the bit extender sleeve .
Love the carry

Tom

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: July 01, 2017, 02:16:47 AM
I am still hanging on to it TS :D The cloth in the bottom as stabilized it to the point that the tear really isn't getting any worse so I am going to try and carry it til it fails or falls apart :tu: :D

I like not having to swap from sheath to sheath :like: Just wish that I had started with the better molle is all ;) I am going to use the great one I have after this one fails me that Bensasupertool sent me :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #79 on: July 01, 2017, 02:37:08 AM
I hope you don't lose your tool when/if it fails!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: July 01, 2017, 02:42:03 AM
I hope you don't lose your tool when/if it fails!   :ahhh

Def

I also hope that I don't lose whatever I am carrying :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh but I want to see how long this thing lasts after the obvious bad start ::) :D

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #81 on: July 01, 2017, 09:28:21 PM
Good to hear your sticking to it :tu:

Tom

us Offline aluminated

Reply #82 on: July 02, 2017, 02:18:33 AM
Not meaning to step on your diary thread, but with pb pics dropping like flies, and not seeing a comparison pic of the sheath Ben sent and the subject sheath, I'd like to offer these photos and captions:
"New" Wave in what I believe is the "Universal" molle pouch:

It seems that if the "Large" LM molle pouch is not the same product, it is at least made with identically poor materials. Still, it holds the Wave as well as two bit cards in the real elastic (why elastic???) pocket.
Now the Surge in the same "Universal" sheath:
As you can see, it does fit just fine.

Surge in what I believe is a late-model XL sheath. Notice lack of nasty vinyl trim. The material certainly feels more robust.

Can't even see the tool from the front. Likewise can't see the extra blades in the front pocket:

Wave is lost in the XL molle sheath. I would not recommend this carry:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:23:53 AM by aluminated »

us Offline aluminated

Reply #83 on: July 02, 2017, 02:22:10 AM
Finally some loaded sheath size comparison pics:

If going with a LM molle sheath, for the larger tools especially, I would strongly suggest the XL version and leave any vinyl-trimmed one where it belongs: with the vendor, lol.
Last note: the old versions with the word "Leatherman" and the massive drain grommet are probably built much better, but are hard to find and I believe the new XL's will perform acceptably. At least I hope so. I'd like to know which size sheath T.Sawyer had which so quickly lost the small grommet. (Edit: I just checked the photo and it doesn't seem to match either of my sheaths. :think:)
I don't think I'm stepping on any toes with these posts, but if I am I will reluctantly accept the prescribed whippings/beatings.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:37:08 AM by aluminated »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: July 02, 2017, 02:37:53 AM
Finally some loaded sheath size comparison pics:
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
If going with a LM molle sheath, for the larger tools especially, I would strongly suggest the XL version and leave any vinyl-trimmed one where it belongs: with the vendor, lol.
Last note: the old versions with the word "Leatherman" and the massive drain grommet are probably built much better, but are hard to find and I believe the new XL's will perform acceptably. At least I hope so. I'd like to know which size sheath T.Sawyer had which so quickly lost the small grommet.
I don't think I'm stepping on any toes with these posts, but if I am I will reluctantly accept the prescribed whippings/beatings.

No stepping on toes at all buddy :tu:

I lost the small grommet on mine rather quickly as well :facepalm: I think we both have the vinyl trimmed version as well :ahhh I now how the more robust (bigger grommet) version one that I got from Ben :salute: Definitely a step up in quality  :like: I will use this one as soon as the other finally gives up and hope that it last well and from the reviews of the differences I think it will fair much better :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: July 02, 2017, 02:41:03 AM
Also great pics and thanks for them :like: :like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #86 on: July 02, 2017, 04:29:54 AM
Looks like I got the crappy one with my OHT as well.

us Offline aluminated

Reply #87 on: July 02, 2017, 05:48:54 AM
No, thank YOU.  :cheers:

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #88 on: July 02, 2017, 09:31:21 PM
No, thank YOU.  :cheers:
Yeah after getting home on day one of the vinyl molle sheath carry, the grommet rivet was g-o-n-e :salute:

Tom

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: July 03, 2017, 05:41:44 PM
 Out of curiosity, has gone  tried to use a Buckknife sheath for their LM MT? I already use a tan brown Wave leather sheath for my PST. Mostly because I didn't have an original style one.

But if the new molle sheaths like this one, and the new bonded leather sheath are such crap, it just struck me that Buck knife sheath for the 110 and 112 are thick, quality leather made in Mexico. They may not be US made, but the quality of leather products in general coming out of Mexico has been reminiscent of original run PST sheath work.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%