Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber club!

twiliter · 926 · 57199

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Climber club!
Reply #240 on: July 29, 2017, 08:25:22 PM
Getting ready to hit the Appalachian trail with my son and his Climber!

I'm jealous Barry - I've only read a little about the AT but it sounds like an Excellent Adventure with a Climber to hand. Have fun  :tu:

A little jealous here too, I have crossed paths with the AT several times and always wished to hike the length of it. Climber is a good choice, but then again it's a good choice for everything...  ;)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #241 on: July 29, 2017, 10:49:21 PM

I'm jealous Barry - I've only read a little about the AT but it sounds like an Excellent Adventure with a Climber to hand. Have fun  :tu:

A little jealous here too, I have crossed paths with the AT several times and always wished to hike the length of it. Climber is a good choice, but then again it's a good choice for everything...  ;)

Personally I'd prefer a Huntsman but then lugging that extra layer of weight about might not be essential ?  :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline twiliter

Reply #242 on: July 30, 2017, 02:06:03 AM

Personally I'd prefer a Huntsman but then lugging that extra layer of weight about might not be essential ?  :think:

As much as I like the Huntsman (and Farmer), I honestly never had use for a pocket knife with a wood saw. The AT is maintained pretty well, and I have not been on any brushy trails while hiking that the tiny saw would help with anyway, a machete, a pruning saw, or even a camp axe would be more justifiable in terms of weight (IMO). Maybe if I was planning on taking whittling breaks or something? *shrugs*  :D

Even the can opener is questionable for hiking, tinned food is not common on the trails either. Along with the corkscrew of course, wine bottles are heavy!

Camping for sure, backpacking not so much.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:12:05 AM by twiliter »

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #243 on: August 01, 2017, 11:22:57 PM
Just got back Sunday from a weekend hike on the AT. My dad and I were both off and decided on a quick section hike, and what better choice than the clmber! :cheers: :climber:
0729170943a.jpg
* 0729170943a.jpg (Filesize: 282.29 KB)
0730171014b.jpg
* 0730171014b.jpg (Filesize: 222.51 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline twiliter

Reply #244 on: August 02, 2017, 12:23:42 AM
That would be my first choice too, sounds like you had a good time. :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #245 on: August 02, 2017, 02:58:02 AM
 :like: :cheers: Thanks Bill!  I can't get Bill Bryson's book out of my mind now!
Barry

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #246 on: August 08, 2017, 08:35:45 PM
Just stoped by visiting a friend i recently tuned on to sak's. He always partial to pocket knives but had never bought a sak. We began talking a while ago and he got interested. He just got his first one some weeks ago, a Climber  :ahhh

He is pretty happy with it, and i'm happy for him. But now it's got me missing my Climbers, so i broke one out of storage for some pics...  :D
The thing is, now i'm even more desperate to get a small climber (84mm), dammit Vic why can't you just bring them back??!! And i even mean the small climber over the salesman (small super tinker), as incredible as it may seem i actualy like the small climber (or 91mm climber for that matter) best. I just think the CS looks better on 3 layers than the Philips...  :ahhh
climber.jpg
* climber.jpg (Filesize: 226.99 KB)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #247 on: August 08, 2017, 09:17:46 PM
Just stoped by visiting a friend i recently tuned on to sak's. He always partial to pocket knives but had never bought a sak. We began talking a while ago and he got interested. He just got his first one some weeks ago, a Climber  :ahhh

He is pretty happy with it, and i'm happy for him. But now it's got me missing my Climbers, so i broke one out of storage for some pics...  :D
The thing is, now i'm even more desperate to get a small climber (84mm), dammit Vic why can't you just bring them back??!! And i even mean the small climber over the salesman (small super tinker), as incredible as it may seem i actualy like the small climber (or 91mm climber for that matter) best. I just think the CS looks better on 3 layers than the Philips...  :ahhh

I will try to find one for you, my friend.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: August 08, 2017, 09:36:58 PM

I will try to find one for you, my friend.

Thank's mate, very much appreciated  :cheers:
That would be super  :ahhh :ahhh
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #249 on: August 08, 2017, 09:42:44 PM
Hello everyone.

My old Super Tinker did not  have a hook tool on the back layer, however my 5 year old Deluxe Tinker does. It seems that this "package holder"/ "frozen shoelace"/ old "beer can" opening tool is being included on more and more newer SAKs.

I see a lot of love for that little hook in this thread, while I find little to no use for it and wish it would go away. Can anyone enlighten me as to its worth? Maybe change my mind? Let e know if I should start a different topic thread.

Thanks

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #250 on: August 08, 2017, 09:47:17 PM
Hello everyone.

My old Super Tinker did not  have a hook tool on the back layer, however my 5 year old Deluxe Tinker does. It seems that this "package holder"/ "frozen shoelace"/ old "beer can" opening tool is being included on more and more newer SAKs.

I see a lot of love for that little hook in this thread, while I find little to no use for it and wish it would go away. Can anyone enlighten me as to its worth? Maybe change my mind? Let e know if I should start a different topic thread.

Thanks

There are some threads that discuss the hook on here.  Here is one I started: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71139.0.html    :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #251 on: August 08, 2017, 10:52:37 PM
:like: :cheers: Thanks Bill!  I can't get Bill Bryson's book out of my mind now!

I've read that Barry and it gave me a sense of perspective on the AT which deserves respect. It also sounds more appealing than our Pennine Way given a] more trees b] probably less peat hag. Having just come back from a weekend in the Eden Valley I'm still thinking the same thoughts !

* IMG_0045.jpg (Filesize: 23.2 KB)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:57:15 PM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #252 on: August 08, 2017, 11:05:09 PM
I want to hike in the UK so much Bill!  It's so beautiful!!!
Barry

us Offline twiliter

Reply #253 on: August 08, 2017, 11:08:40 PM

+1 That would be amazing.  :tu:

I had to look up peat hag FB, there is, most probably, virtually none on the AT.  :D

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #254 on: August 08, 2017, 11:10:58 PM
Hello everyone.

...I see a lot of love for that little hook in this thread, while I find little to no use for it and wish it would go away. Can anyone enlighten me as to its worth?.

Thanks

Enlighten all people want   :think:   , but I also wish the hook would go away.  :drink:
Heck, they only put the hook w/ fingernail file on Compacts...you'd think they at least include it on all hooks to give them some value.   :pok:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #255 on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:03 PM

You know if you can't find a good condition Small Climber for a reasonable price, you can always go for the Delemont Evo 14 (85mm).  Aside from the Evolution scales, it's just like the old Small Climber.  :salute:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #256 on: August 09, 2017, 09:38:13 PM

I had to look up peat hag FB, there is, most probably, virtually none on the AT.  :D

The Pennines are, in fairness, very pretty moorland. I went up there to cycle up Great Dun Fell which is one of those top steep climbs for road cycling in this country. We were very lucky with the weather and it was actually quite mild and sunny apart from a spell at the top. With a road bike I wasn't going anywhere near the peat and the tarmac surface of this particular climb is top quality. Strictly I didn't have a SAK with me either. Not even a Classic as I didn't want any avoidable weight !

* IMG_0051.jpg (Filesize: 18.99 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #257 on: August 09, 2017, 09:51:48 PM

You know if you can't find a good condition Small Climber for a reasonable price, you can always go for the Delemont Evo 14 (85mm).  Aside from the Evolution scales, it's just like the old Small Climber.  :salute:

Yeahh... I know mate, the Evo 14 is a great sak. I have a Evo S16, it's cool but i just can't really bond with it...  Classic Vic is Classic Vic for me, i like the plain flat scales a lot more and are much less bulky. 
If only Vic also made the Delemont stuff with old Wenger flat scale options i would get one immediately  :ahhh
Hell, i bet they could even adapt the Wenger scissors for the classic 84mm models if they want, it wouldn't be Vic scissors but better than nothing....

As much as I and a lot more guys would like, i just don't realistically see Vic bringing back the 84mm scissors, even less with similar redundant 85mm models still in production. I only hope they at lest keep what's left of the classic 84mm line in production for a few more years.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #258 on: August 09, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
Another vote for the Evo14, so far it's my favorite SAK.
I have the wood edition but am thinking of trying one with the dual composition scales. The scissors seem fine to me. Actually the spring gives me a tad more confidence durability wise.
It is a little chunky but to me, in a good way. Next favorites would be the compact at 2 and the climber at 3. I really thought I'd love the explorer but have found 4 layers is just a tad too much, shame.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #259 on: August 10, 2017, 12:29:25 AM

Yeahh... I know mate, the Evo 14 is a great sak. I have a Evo S16, it's cool but i just can't really bond with it...  Classic Vic is Classic Vic for me, i like the plain flat scales a lot more and are much less bulky. 
If only Vic also made the Delemont stuff with old Wenger flat scale options i would get one immediately  :ahhh
Hell, i bet they could even adapt the Wenger scissors for the classic 84mm models if they want, it wouldn't be Vic scissors but better than nothing....

As much as I and a lot more guys would like, i just don't realistically see Vic bringing back the 84mm scissors, even less with similar redundant 85mm models still in production. I only hope they at lest keep what's left of the classic 84mm line in production for a few more years.

Agreed in regards to the scales...flat scales are needed!  :cheers:

For my older Wenger Evo 16, I found Wenger flat scales for it, so it's much better. But in reality I prefer to usually carry 2-layer models for the most part. As for the CS vs Phillips, it's a wash for me...it all depends what I'm doing as to whether I carry one or the other.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:31:40 AM by strmliner »

us Offline twiliter

Reply #260 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:33 AM

The Pennines are, in fairness, very pretty moorland. I went up there to cycle up Great Dun Fell which is one of those top steep climbs for road cycling in this country. We were very lucky with the weather and it was actually quite mild and sunny apart from a spell at the top. With a road bike I wasn't going anywhere near the peat and the tarmac surface of this particular climb is top quality. Strictly I didn't have a SAK with me either. Not even a Classic as I didn't want any avoidable weight !

Looks like a nice ride FB.  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #261 on: August 10, 2017, 04:50:54 AM
+1!!   :like: :like:
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #262 on: August 10, 2017, 11:02:00 PM
Thanks guys apologies it was all a bit off topic but I'll claim I was the Climber and see if I get under the wire that way.

Still,  to make up I carried my red Climber today to make amends
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #263 on: August 10, 2017, 11:46:51 PM
 :cheers: It's good to me Bill! 
Barry

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #264 on: August 11, 2017, 01:06:31 AM
Thanks guys apologies it was all a bit off topic but I'll claim I was the Climber and see if I get under the wire that way.

Still,  to make up I carried my red Climber today to make amends

It's all good, Mr Fast Bill the Climber!   :rofl:

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #265 on: August 11, 2017, 01:25:47 AM
Picked this up on Ebay a few days ago... I've been to Germany twice for work, and never was fortunate enough to find any SAK like this there. Has anybody ever seen a similar one? I imagine it was a short run for a dealer in Rothenburg someplace, but I really haven't a clue. Aside form the dark mark on the one scale it looks entirely unused. A nice one for my collection!

Funnily enough, my sta-glo boy scout climber was the knife I brought with me on both trips.
Rothenburg Climber.jpg
* Rothenburg Climber.jpg (Filesize: 40.88 KB)
R Climber SN.jpg
* R Climber SN.jpg (Filesize: 54.4 KB)
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #266 on: August 11, 2017, 01:48:42 AM
Picked this up on Ebay a few days ago... I've been to Germany twice for work, and never was fortunate enough to find any SAK like this there. Has anybody ever seen a similar one? I imagine it was a short run for a dealer in Rothenburg someplace, but I really haven't a clue. Aside form the dark mark on the one scale it looks entirely unused. A nice one for my collection!

Funnily enough, my sta-glo boy scout climber was the knife I brought with me on both trips.

Gorgeous scales on that one!
 :like:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #267 on: August 11, 2017, 01:51:24 AM
New one on me dkop, pretty cool!  :tu:

Welcome to MTO, looks like you found the right place for Climber folks.  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #268 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:18 AM
 :gimme: Gorgeous knife!!!
Barry

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #269 on: August 11, 2017, 02:31:03 AM
New one on me dkop, pretty cool!  :tu:

Welcome to MTO, looks like you found the right place for Climber folks.  :cheers:
I must say that I generally carry a tinker, but figured the corkscrew on my climber would serve me better during my extended stay in North-Rhein Westfalia. Which was true, until I had to assemble a fan for my apartment because of the miserable heat we were having. The one time I needed an SAKs phillips driver, I had my climber  :ahhh
but for the various local wines and distilled spirits.... wonderful tool to have!  :climber:
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44