Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber club!

twiliter · 932 · 57810

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Climber club!
Reply #510 on: December 17, 2018, 10:24:17 AM
Sorry Mac, tough decision. I find new scales easy to get used to.  :salute:

Still the black Climber for me, although I did have a SwissChamp day yesterday.  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #511 on: December 17, 2018, 10:46:23 AM
Dropped my favourite Climber yesterday and cracked the top of the front scale...  :cry:
I'm pissed....  :rant:

It didn't broke off but i can see and feel the line of crack. It's an early 2000 one, and the scales is the reason it is my favourite, still has the older deeper red shade, and the shield fitting is a bit better than on the later ones.

I'm tempted either to break the piece off and superglue it back, or just scrap those scales and put new ones in and just forget about it.

What do you think...?
Maybe source some older scales to have on hand, but use a set of cheaper aftermarket scales for carry. Once you are ready, pop the older sourced scales on.  :)
Or just pop the sourced scales on and enjoy it. Tons of options and an immense amount of scales and SAKs out there. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #512 on: December 17, 2018, 11:11:56 AM
A couple of climbers. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #513 on: December 17, 2018, 11:15:41 AM
Emerald scales look sooooo good!

Nice Deluxe Climber! :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #514 on: December 17, 2018, 11:42:10 AM
Emerald scales look sooooo good!

Nice Deluxe Climber! :tu:
Thank you, Reinier! :cheers:
The Emerald and Sapphire are personal favorites. :)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #515 on: December 17, 2018, 02:38:15 PM
Dropped my favourite Climber yesterday and cracked the top of the front scale...  :cry:

It didn't broke off but i can see and feel the line of crack. It's an early 2000 one, and the scales is the reason it is my favourite, still has the older deeper red shade, and the shield fitting is a bit better than on the later ones.

I'm tempted either to break the piece off and superglue it back, or just scrap those scales and put new ones in and just forget about it.

What do you think...?
Your Climber took a fall and fractured a leg (scale). To be expected and now your Climber has character. Keep it the way it is.  :tu: Now if you have OCD, that’s a different story.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:41:04 PM by Rapidray »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #516 on: December 17, 2018, 03:21:59 PM

What do you think...?
Your Climber took a fall and fractured a leg (scale). To be expected and now your Climber has character. Keep it the way it is.  :tu: Now if you have OCD, that’s a different story.  :whistle:

I understand what you mean, i really don't mind dings or scratches much, one can always smooth them out, but cracks.... That thing can break and pop out at any time, it gets on my nerves...
.....aaand yes... I'm a bit OCD..
 :facepalm:

It's not a matter of having current replacement scales, i have bucket loads of new ones stored away, its just i like these a bit better for the reasons i mentioned.
I know it may look plain silly so a lot, getting a bit upset over plain standard red scales, but they are the ones i like and use so...  :whistle:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #517 on: December 17, 2018, 03:33:03 PM

What do you think...?

I understand what you mean, i really don't mind dings or scratches much, one can always smooth them out, but cracks.... That thing can break and pop out at any time, it gets on my nerves...

It's not a matter of having current replacement scales, i have bucket loads of new ones stored away, its just i like these a bit better for the reasons i mentioned.
I know it may look plain silly so a lot, getting a bit upset over plain standard red scales, but they are the ones i like and use so...  :whistle:
Well then, to quote the great book, seek and you shall find.
I am willing to bet you find that red you like so much.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #518 on: December 17, 2018, 04:46:10 PM
The question was stated in a way that didn't elude to accurate circumstances. Perhaps mentioning a selection of scales would have changed the nature of response. ;)

Tip: The quality of polish on the scales can contribute to different color qualities. But, I can't know anything about SAK scales, because of my username.  :whistle:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #519 on: December 18, 2018, 01:11:09 AM

What do you think...?

... and so... here i was, thinking...  should i change the darn scales or not... :think:  and I just said "...screw it, what the heck"... and so now i have a lovely Climber Plus...  :D

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:12:43 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #520 on: December 18, 2018, 01:56:37 AM

What do you think...?

... and so... here i was, thinking...  should i change the darn scales or not... :think:  and I just said "...screw it, what the heck"... and so now i have a lovely Climber Plus...  :D

(Image removed from quote.)
:like:
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #521 on: December 18, 2018, 02:39:44 AM

What do you think...?

OCD works sometime...nice SAK  :tu:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #522 on: December 18, 2018, 04:56:54 PM

Would you by any chance have pictures of the old scales? I'm curious!
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #523 on: December 18, 2018, 07:19:08 PM

I toke some, but its hard to capture  the crack properly, its at the very top of the scale coming from the middle (you need to zoom it in), i could move it with my finger so i could have broken it off and glue it back, but heck, i have quite a few scale pairs stored away so i just took the opportunity to make myself a Climber Plus  :drink:

BTW... I know im a bit picky...  :facepalm:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #524 on: December 18, 2018, 08:30:10 PM

I toke some, but its hard to capture  the crack properly, its at the very top of the scale coming from the middle (you need to zoom it in), i could move it with my finger so i could have broken it off and glue it back, but heck, i have quite a few scale pairs stored away so i just took the opportunity to make myself a Climber Plus  :drink:

Nawww, I think that would bug me too. Change out! If it were to break away from the house, you would have a pretty sharp edge there. I could see you cutting yourself getting it out of your pocket.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #525 on: December 19, 2018, 04:59:02 AM

Climber Plus is a poor man's Wenger Tool Chest.   :think:  Maybe that's not the best way to put it....  :think:  The Climber plus basically has awl you ever need from a SAK....  What a solid carry!  I like what you've done with that lovely Climber, Mac!! :like:  :salute:  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #526 on: December 19, 2018, 08:55:59 AM

Climber Plus is a poor man's Wenger Tool Chest.   :think:  Maybe that's not the best way to put it....  :think:  The Climber plus basically has awl you ever need from a SAK....  What a solid carry!  I like what you've done with that lovely Climber, Mac!! :like:  :salute:  :cheers:

Thanks EC  :cheers:

I must admit that while the Plus scales don't really add a much relevant tool to me (pen) ita always nice to have in a pinch. What i do notice is the plus scales feel a little more comfortable in the hand Vs standard ones, and the difference in thickness in the pocket is marginal.
The curious thing is i now have a "bi-shaded" sak, the front scale is the same deeper red as the original scales that got cracked, but the back Plus scale is the current lighter shade. It's not by much, but it is noticeable, kind of unique... :D

us Offline TonySal

Reply #527 on: December 19, 2018, 01:32:39 PM

Thanks EC  :cheers:

I must admit that while the Plus scales don't really add a much relevant tool to me (pen) ita always nice to have in a pinch. What i do notice is the plus scales feel a little more comfortable in the hand Vs standard ones, and the difference in thickness in the pocket is marginal.
The curious thing is i now have a "bi-shaded" sak, the front scale is the same deeper red as the original scales that got cracked, but the back Plus scale is the current lighter shade. It's not by much, but it is noticeable, kind of unique... :D
:tu:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #528 on: December 21, 2018, 02:46:01 AM
I've been favoring the climber small lately
Resized_IMG_20181220_162631_872.jpeg
* Resized_IMG_20181220_162631_872.jpeg (Filesize: 311.26 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline TonySal

Reply #529 on: December 21, 2018, 03:26:17 AM
'small' means 84mm? As opposed to 91mm ?   :think:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #530 on: December 21, 2018, 04:20:32 AM
Nice  :like: :tu:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #531 on: December 21, 2018, 05:34:07 AM
'small' means 84mm? As opposed to 91mm ?   :think:
Yessir  :climber: :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #532 on: December 21, 2018, 08:06:34 AM
Awesome!

I try to keep sourcing those.myself.

Alongside 84mm Golfers.
Great SAK!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #533 on: December 21, 2018, 08:51:36 AM

:drool: :drool: :drool:   :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #534 on: December 28, 2018, 12:25:19 AM
So Nascar put up a black Climber plus for sale recently. As you guys know, the Climber is my favorite SAK. And since I only had a red version and white version, I jumped on Nascar's offer (he was fantastic in sending the Climber out to me, too).

So here is my Climber collection:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #535 on: December 28, 2018, 12:47:54 AM
So Nascar put up a black Climber plus for sale recently. As you guys know, the Climber is my favorite SAK. And since I only had a red version and white version, I jumped on Nascar's offer (he was fantastic in sending the Climber out to me, too).

Soooo, I’m guessing you are now after a red one! :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #536 on: December 28, 2018, 01:04:41 AM
 :rofl:  I guess so.....   :rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #537 on: December 28, 2018, 01:46:42 AM
:rofl:  I guess so.....   :rofl:
Another journey begins! Got to love life!  :tu:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #538 on: December 28, 2018, 02:02:26 AM

Nice! Just got map pins to add color too. .. but... My Climbers have no pin holes??
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #539 on: December 28, 2018, 02:17:16 AM
I'm not the guy you want to ask for advice....... :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30