Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG Concept: SwitchVise

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
New SOG Concept: SwitchVise
on: April 09, 2017, 07:48:06 PM
Inspired by this conversation: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71425.0.html, I present the SOG SwitchVise

Fully imaginary concept from my brain. I am not affiliated with SOG besides owning a bunch of their products. SOG, feel free to get in touch, I sell cheap

Not sure having springy pliers would be good (or even possible) on locking pliers, so I deleted the the cut-outs on the SwitchPlier head that house the spring-arm, this would also strengthen the head. I added a little extra beef to the jaws, as well. Hitting the button that would normally spring the pliers out, releases the locking pliers and allows them to swing into position under the power of gravity, or using a flicking motion. When they reach the fully rotated position, they would lock into place and engage with the lower arm. Not really sure how the "arm between the arms" would work with this set up - maybe it slides into a locked position when the lower handle opens? Anyways, feel free to shower me with praise. I'll keep you guys abreast of my negotiations with SOG regarding getting these into production  :salute:

:rofl:

PS - The tool load-out is not final, I just used a stock SwitchPlier picture (the weird "mega-switchplier" that has yet to go into production (thankfully) that has tools in both arms). Have fun!
SOG SwitchVise.jpg
* SOG SwitchVise.jpg (Filesize: 58.11 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline JP

Re: New SOG Concept: SwitchVise
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:20:51 AM
Looks pretty slick.

Where do you load the hook of the grappling gun?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:50:37 AM
When you unthread the adjustment screw all the way, and remove it, you can load grappling hook into the hole :tu:

Duh, where else would you load it?

:rofl:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 02:46:48 AM
Anyways, feel free to shower me with praise.

I have never laughed so much in the forum before. Jesus, that was awesome.  :rofl:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 01:34:23 PM
I'd buy one. 

But then, as I generally have at least one of just about everything, that should come as no surprise!  :D

Still, I see no reason why SOG shouldn't immediately drop what they are doing and get on this ASAP.  I would think the locking plier aspect would go hand in hand with their Compound Leverage- they could promote it by saying it has twice the lock strength or gripping power.  I don't see why you would have to give up the compound leverage either.  The Crunch handles attach after where the gears would be, so there's no reason it shouldn't work.  In fact, I could also see the spring mechanism still working, although you would have to drop the second handle (like you do with a Crunch before launching it, then manually attach the second handle, so I am not sure what benefit there would be to having the spring assist.

Honestly, I don't see any reason this couldn't exist- the lower handle would have to be beefed up to accomodate the interior tools and lock mechanism, but that wouldn't be difficult.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 06:05:54 PM
SOG has been on such a role the last few years, they have a lot of good offerings to match up with Gerber or Leatherman across the entire spectrum: quick access, large, small, pocket-carry, military centric, etc... Considering the age of the Crunch and Leatherman's apparent willingness to let it ride without upgrades, and the fact that the Grappler went away a few years ago, they could easily become the leader on locking-plier multitools, if for no other reason than it would be a newer product. The average consumers like newer stuff. Especially if they gave it the SOG treatment, giving it that mall-ninja, tacti-cool look that a lot of their stuff has now.

I hadn't even considered basing it off of one of their compound leverage models. Facilitates one-hand opening (or at least makes it easier than with the Crunch). I just chose the SwitchPlier since it already sort of has the look.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%