Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Victorinox Waiter Appreciation Society

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
The Victorinox Waiter Appreciation Society
on: April 10, 2017, 04:19:58 AM
Guten Tag, people!   In this thread I'd like to highlight the practical, useful, slimline, don't-even-know-it's-in-the-pocket elegance of the Victorinox Waiter.    I feel like the Waiter is one of the most under appreciated SAKs out there.  Talk about usefulness!  If you're sporting a mini screwdriver in the corkscrew and have new scales w/pin hole you're working with 10 functions in a single layer knife...  11 if you count the keyring  :P.  It really puts the "Swiss Army Knife" in "Swiss Army Knife."    This group of members show they have refined, sophisticated, and urbane qualities,  truly understanding the concept of less is more.  Such high caliber members can come here to share, learn, and grow together in this...   Society.

Do we have any other Waiter fans out there?  I know it's all Toolbox this and Super Champ Plus that, but, dang, what a lot of functionality in ONE LAYER!!!

I have pictured below 2 Waiters.  I believe one is the earliest incarnation and the other the most recent (w/out KR) and "Weishaupt" ad.   (Btw, I LOVE German/Swiss/Austrian ads on knives, makes me remember and miss that part of the world.)  Notable differences are the Economy scales on the older one, as well as a slightly more edgy, less-rounded combo tool, fluted corkscrew, no half-stop, old small  "V" stamp.

:cheers:
WP_20170409_18_51_24_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170409_18_51_24_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 57.72 KB)
WP_20170409_18_53_03_Pro-001.jpg
* WP_20170409_18_53_03_Pro-001.jpg (Filesize: 57.39 KB)
WP_20170409_18_53_40_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170409_18_53_40_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 48.25 KB)
WP_20170409_18_54_35_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170409_18_54_35_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 63.79 KB)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:51:59 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Re: The Victorinox Waiter Appreciation Society.
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:46:10 AM
I've been on a minimalist kick lately and have recently rediscovered my love for the Waiter. So small yet so functional and barely noticeable in a pocket. I find the combo tool, though I wish it was just slightly more robust, handles most of my simple screwdriver and light pry bar needs. If I'm on some sort of job, computer or photo related, I will bring my Crunch and maybe another tool or two, but for my day to day urban existence it really fits nicely :tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Re: The Victorinox Waiter Appreciation Society.
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:01:35 AM
It occurred to me that the Waiter is the smallest SAK to support some must have tools unavailable in alox: corkscrew, tweezers and toothpick.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Re: The Victorinox Waiter Appreciation Society
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:04:15 AM
I've been on a minimalist kick lately and have recently rediscovered my love for the Waiter. So small yet so functional and barely noticeable in a pocket. I find the combo tool, though I wish it was just slightly more robust, handles most of my simple screwdriver and light pry bar needs. If I'm on some sort of job, computer or photo related, I will bring my Crunch and maybe another tool or two, but for my day to day urban existence it really fits nicely :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

:like:
You're right, it's definitely not as robust, but really, should we be using our >91mm SAKs for prying in the first place?  The Waiter is not my favorite SAK or even my usual first choice to carry but I feel like it punches way above its weight limit... and the snap on a clean, lightly oiled Waiter, like a mouse trap it is. 

It occurred to me that the Waiter is the smallest SAK to support some must have tools unavailable in alox: corkscrew, tweezers and toothpick.

Excellent point, RS!!!   :salute:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:05:19 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:18:27 AM
Got to agree about the snap, in fact I just woke up my dog folding the combo tool closed :D 

The combo tool has no problem prying some keys off my keyboard for de-gunking purposes, so I'm good with it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:27:05 AM by theonew »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:38:34 AM
Got to agree about the snap, in fact I just woke up my dog folding the combo tool closed :D 

The combo tool has no problem prying some keys off my keyboard for de-gunking purposes, so I'm good with it.

:rofl:

I'm tryin' ta sleep ova heh!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:01:07 AM
I would probably carry Waiter all the time, but I just dont like the combo tool enough.

I can see the charm as I only carry small SAKs anyways. If Tourist wouldnt exist Waiter would be the next to replace it.

Sure Tourist is chunky, it depends from the weather if I am able to carry it, that problem would not be with Waiter.

Good topic!
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:45:14 AM
As others said, it just punches way above its weight and size and it's incredible useful in urban life.
That minimalist toolset also sharpens your mind and makes you improvise with what you've got, allowing you to discover new uses for these simple yet effective implements

A true classic SAK and excellent companion

Mine has the broken scale but it's a lovely scar of the times we've had together     ::)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 02:02:26 PM
I really like that relative of the Waiter, the Apprentice.  The Phillips gives it a slimmer profile than the Waiter, and for me it's more useful than the corkscrew.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 04:22:39 PM
I have one I keep as back up in my lunch cooler for work.  I won't use the corkscrew at the office,  but may use the eye glass driver. Unfortunately,  there is something wrong with the spring for the corkscrew which let's it stand proud of the handle.  That makes pocket carry less than optimal. This will fit in the 5th pocket of my jeans nicely.

This one is from sometime in the 80s, and has no half stop on the rounded combo tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

fi Offline Padre

Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 04:23:45 PM
I really like that relative of the Waiter, the Apprentice.  The Phillips gives it a slimmer profile than the Waiter, and for me it's more useful than the corkscrew.

Sshhhh! El Corkscrew might not approve.  ;)

:whistle:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:30 PM
Wow, I knew it was light, but only a few more grams than a Manager :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:36:45 PM
Without the mini screwdriver, and without the keyring, I get 33.9 grams.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 06:57:01 PM
Wow, I knew it was light, but only a few more grams than a Manager :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :like:

Empirical proof of awesomeness!!!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 06:59:09 PM

Sshhhh! El Corkscrew might not approve.  ;)

:whistle:

:rofl:
The Corkscrew Way is accepting of all beliefs and philosophies.
 :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:28:30 PM by El Corkscrew »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 07:22:32 PM
This is one of my favourites, too. Like I do whenever possible, I fit it with a mini SD and a pin in the scale hole to make it even more useful.

:tu: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:10 PM
I would probably carry Waiter all the time, but I just dont like the combo tool enough.

I can see the charm as I only carry small SAKs anyways. If Tourist wouldnt exist Waiter would be the next to replace it.

Sure Tourist is chunky, it depends from the weather if I am able to carry it, that problem would not be with Waiter.

Good topic!

The Tourist is a great SAK!  I have several of them.  I do, however, enjoy the combo tool.  El Compact is still my most ideal EDC but El Waiter makes El Compact look like he needs to improve his diet & exercise routine.   :D

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 09:25:08 PM

Good topic!

The Tourist is a great SAK!  I have several of them.  I do, however, enjoy the combo tool.  El Compact is still my most ideal EDC but El Waiter makes El Compact look like he needs to improve his diet & exercise routine.   :D

I've been carrying my Sportsman lately and though I've always got a Waiter in the car I've never actually carried it ...  :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 09:39:20 PM

Good topic!

I've been carrying my Sportsman lately and though I've always got a Waiter in the car I've never actually carried it ...  :think:

Give that thing some pocket time, Phil! Now that I started this thread, I need to do the same... I've just been sort of an aloxaholic lately. :ahhh

It's a great picnic/hike-lunch SAK. And, of course, it serves all your party needs. :drink:

:salute:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 09:53:25 PM

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 09:58:45 PM
Thanks.

I made the previous pic last summer. A few weeks ago I filed down the keyring nub.
DSC05002-waiter-weight.jpg
* DSC05002-waiter-weight.jpg (Filesize: 361.77 KB)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:05:04 PM by Ronald Schröder »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 10:25:50 PM
I have a huge soft spot for the Waiter.  It was the first SAK I bought as an adult and started my interest in all things Vic and Wenger.*  I agree that it's all too easy to forget just how good a SAK it is, stuffed full of features in a small package that still has a proper sized knife blade.

*Come to think of it, that £10 knife has cost me a LOT of money over the years. >:(
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 10:35:27 PM
A waiter and a classic sd live on my keychain, when I get to the gym, i seperate the two keychains. The waiter comes with me if needed with my locker key attached and the sd stays with the truck/house keys. It sure is light and it sure is useful if its all you have.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 10:55:14 PM

Good topic!

Give that thing some pocket time, Phil! Now that I started this thread, I need to do the same... I've just been sort of an aloxaholic lately. :ahhh

It's a great picnic/hike-lunch SAK. And, of course, it serves all your party needs. :drink:

Ah yes, the Picnic, a ritual devotion for followers of The Corkscrew Way. Good idea  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 11:02:16 PM
Me and my team "picnic" every day, at lunchtime (but without the wine). That's why I'm carrying at least two SAKs, for food and work.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 11:50:52 PM
I have a huge soft spot for the Waiter.  It was the first SAK I bought as an adult and started my interest in all things Vic and Wenger.*  I agree that it's all too easy to forget just how good a SAK it is, stuffed full of features in a small package that still has a proper sized knife blade.

*Come to think of it, that £10 knife has cost me a LOT of money over the years. >:(

Blessing/curse situation. :D

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 09:01:46 AM
I had a NIB Waiter laying in my collection. Bought it at a closeout sale once, just for the heck of it.
This thread made me curious and today I have swapped the 108mm Solo for the Waiter.
I'me very curious how it will do today, it's in my watch pocket know and so far it has been used three times already!
I'll rapport back in tonight. :D
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 01:23:58 PM

Looks like a risky way of pulling a cork :)

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 02:51:59 PM
I like the Waiter over the Bantam for two reasons: The corkscrew allows for an eyeglass screwdriver to be added, and the pin and bushings for the corkscrew itself acts as the middle attachment for the scales, keeping them on the knife better and preventing them from bowing outward in the middle, which is a pet peeve of mine, whether for the Bantam or for my Hardwood Spartan.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%