Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Disappointed with my new Swisstool

Offline Brewer

Disappointed with my new Swisstool
on: April 10, 2017, 06:54:12 AM
Out of all of the dozens of SAKs and multitools I own, the Swisstool was my absolute favourite. It would have been a fairly early one, with 2 spear-point blades and a round lanyard hole.

I lost it a couple of weeks ago. Left it on a trailer I was repairing and by the time I realised it was too late. Yes I drove back looking for it. Twice.

I find the new one a bit disappointing. I don't like the smaller, cramped logo placement on the handles, and I miss the logo on the plier head. I'm not a huge fan of the sheepsfoot serrated blade either. But what I'm really disappointed by is the slightly rough finish to the inside edge of the outer handles (as seen when the tool is closed). The tumbling hasn't been enough to remove the shear marks from where the steel was cut. It lets down the otherwise impeccable finish of Victorinox engineering, and it also means that when I grind a little pattern in the back of the serrated blade (to aid in opening the right side), it'll be much harder to distinguish among all the visual noise of the rough finish.. It stood out beautifully against the polished perfection of the last one,

I've read a few threads here about the various changes to the Swisstool, but found very little mention of product codes. Did Victorinox change their product codes with these design changes? Any other tips to help me find a replacement more like my original?

:cry:

fi Offline Padre

Re: Disappointed with my new Swisstool
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:46:56 AM
Yes, the newer ones are inferior in quality. My new version has rough inner handles too compared to my old one. The scissors are impossible to get out without using a prying tool.
I was thinking about disassembling it later this year and see if I can get it fixed.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Disappointed with my new Swisstool
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:14:17 PM
Sorry to hear that you lost your older one :-\ I have no experience with the newer one I am afraid but from Padres comment it seems to be more the norm than the exception :ahhh Heres hoping that the old one shows up and also that you get more use to the one you have now :cheers: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%