Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Exposed rivet knife - tips needed on cleaning toothpick/tweezer areas

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
I bought a very used Exposed rivet knife that had tweezers installed, but no toothpick, so junk built up in there.  You can see the ad here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132140722569?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was going to use it as a parts knife, but with a little bit of TLC, it may be a nice user EDC.  All tools snap great.  I need to get the one side of scissors replaced.  And even though the tip on the main blade is off, that blade is wicked sharp!

I need to know how to get the inside of the toothpick area cleaned out, any tips?  Ordinarily I could pop off the scales, but I can't do that with this one:

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Soapy water and apipe cleaner would probably work good for that.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Pipe cleaner thingy and canned air would probably do the trick. 
Esse Quam Videri

I did try soapy water, but I didn't have a pipe cleaner.  I'll get some and retry with water and canned air.
Thank you!

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
I prefer rubbing alcohol to soapy water.  And get "real" pipe cleaners, not the crafting ones.
- Steve

I prefer rubbing alcohol to soapy water.  And get "real" pipe cleaners, not the crafting ones.
Hopefully a smoke shop will have the real ones?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Doesn't alcohol sorta melt the celidor?  :oops:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
I bought a very used Exposed rivet knife that had tweezers installed, but no toothpick, so junk built up in there.  You can see the ad here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132140722569?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was going to use it as a parts knife, but with a little bit of TLC, it may be a nice user EDC.  All tools snap great.  I need to get the one side of scissors replaced.  And even though the tip on the main blade is off, that blade is wicked sharp!

I need to know how to get the inside of the toothpick area cleaned out, any tips?  Ordinarily I could pop off the scales, but I can't do that with this one:

How about straightening a paper clip and using it with soapy water to clean it out?

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
1 - Sonic cleaner bath - ( can be pricey - cheaper at harbor frieght - i have 2 USED from goodwill i got for $2 each :D )
2 - flexible pipe cleaners ( local corner cig/pipe/smoke shop or Micheals for bulk)
3 - canned air with lil red straw (walmart - priced buy 2 get 1 free- mine does anywho  :tu: )

***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

Thanks all, I'll try some of those suggestions.  :cheers:

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
+1 on the ultrasonic cleaner!

These things are amazing. Fill them with warm water and a decent amount of dishsoap and you'll have a clean SAK in one or two cycles.
It removes dirt from inbetween layers and scales.
What works great for me is to open the tools halfway, that way the contact area with the spring is minimal and there is more rome for the dirt to dissipate from the knife.

Do keep an eye on the temperature of the water though. Keep the scale melting point in mind. You don't want to warp the scales or other plastic components.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD