Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pharmaceutical Spatula

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Pharmaceutical Spatula
on: April 10, 2017, 12:27:40 PM
I'm very curious about this tool, does anyone have any experience with this tool?

SAKwiki writes that it's most common on the very thick SAKs. My guess it's of more use in a dedicated SAK, which are less common according to SAKwiki.

They are avaialble, like this Climber with HP branding:

Ideally I'd have a Scientist, Yeoman or an Explorer with added Spatula.
I have a pharmaceutical spatula on my desk for various powder mixing duties. Sometimes I use it to mix glue like components. However, in the field I don't have that thing on me.
So a SAK with a spatula would be most helpfull. It might also double as a stirring spoon.

So, how do you like your spatulas? Do you happen to know if I can order only that tool from Victorinox? That way I can make my own from an old SwissChamp or Explorer.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: Pharmaceutical Spatula
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:32:34 PM
If you find a way to get a spatula layer (incl back spring), please let me know. I'm looking for a SAK with spatula for a long time now.

You will only find it on the HP knife you mentioned, and on the 'Doctors knife', which was a limited edition. And of course on the XLT and bigger. But all of these knives are either very rare, or too expensive to justify taking it apart for only the spatula.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:37:33 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:41:06 PM
If you find a way to get a spatula layer (incl back spring), please let me know. I'm looking for a SAK with spatula for a long time now.

You will only find it on the HP knife you mentioned, and on the 'Doctors knife', which was a limited edition. And of course on the XLT and bigger. But all of these knives are either very rare, or too expensive to justify taking it apart for only the spatula.
Unless we all go round to SAKGuy's place and divert his attention while one of us 'borrows' his XLT collection. I could do the diversion - Been meaning to work my '845 of the best Heavy Metal guitar solo's of all time, mixed up and played by someone with no ability, on a toy accordion', in front of a live audience.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:50:11 PM

I will, I have to ask Vic some more questions. So I'll add this to the list.

I didn't know about the Doctors Knife. It's nice and has a Saw? I find that slightly concerning for a doctor!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:02:22 PM by Mactire404 »

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:52:22 PM

I didn't know about the Doctors Knife. It's nice and has a Saw? I find that slightly concerning for a doctor!

If you find the Doctors knife concerning, you haven't met this doctor yet:

^-- where the cat sits

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:52:42 PM
You can find some photos here:
https://leaf-vics.com/201...rs-knife-vsakcs-2012.html
539_06-825x510.jpg
* 539_06-825x510.jpg (Filesize: 78.89 KB)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 12:58:42 PM
I'd always assumed is was included as a joke as it's true function was for recreational pharmaceuticals  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 01:06:56 PM

Unless we all go round to SAKGuy's place and divert his attention while one of us 'borrows' his XLT collection. I could do the diversion - Been meaning to work my '845 of the best Heavy Metal guitar solo's of all time, mixed up and played by someone with no ability, on a toy accordion', in front of a live audience.

That is one scenario. Or we could just ask him. Nicely...   :twak: :whistle:

I'd always assumed is was included as a joke as it's true function was for recreational pharmaceuticals  :rofl:

Perhaps. And by putting it on only the ticker SAKs (I'd call them novelty SAKs, but don't want to offend anyone) I assume it is a novelty tool.
I recon it's a great tool for 'recreational pharmaceuticals' as you mention  ;).
But It hink this tool will shine in a smaller SAK like the Yeoman, Scientist and Explorer. It'd make a wonderfull lab tool.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 05:08:36 PM

It's a bone saw of course, for doing amputations.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 06:26:33 PM
Im also interested if someone has thinner tool with this thing on it. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 08:26:15 PM

:woohoo: :woohoo:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:34:02 PM by Guardian »
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 08:33:07 PM

Could probably do a finger at the most  :D
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 08:39:58 PM

What type of recreational chemicals would that be then?   ;)

In the past doctors themselves made medicines/drugs, grinding stuffs to powders and mixing them with a spatula.
The picture shows a Case classic doctor knife.

The small spatula on the MiniChamp is otherwise known as coke spoon, referring to a possible recreational use.

CaseXXWhiteDoctorsKnife.jpg
* CaseXXWhiteDoctorsKnife.jpg (Filesize: 17.11 KB)
DSC04918-mc-scaleswap-3.jpg
* DSC04918-mc-scaleswap-3.jpg (Filesize: 317.18 KB)

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 08:40:39 PM

There is a tool on the Minichamp that can be pressed into service for that.
R

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 08:46:12 PM

You'd be surprised then.  Saws like these easily carve through wood or bone of a diameter up to halve its blade length.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 08:48:46 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

That's an acid spoon.

Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 09:02:32 PM

You'd be surprised then.  Saws like these easily carve through wood or bone of a diameter up to halve its blade length.

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 09:10:27 PM

Cool pic, but that's no way to do an amputation.  :D

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 09:11:48 PM

Cool pic, but that's no way to do an amputation.  :D

:rofl:

^-- where the cat sits

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 11:12:24 PM
I have one spatula layer and it came from an XLT.  Once someone sent me one and wanted a few layer removed and I got to keep what he didn't want.  One of the layers was the spatula.  Dony know what I will ever do with it but I like to collect parts when I can.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 11:37:15 PM

That's supposedly a cuticle tool for working on your fingernails.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cuticle+Pusher

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 12:36:31 AM
Works great on cream cheese...... :D
Snack time will the XLT2.jpg
* Snack time will the XLT2.jpg (Filesize: 141.4 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 05:36:28 AM

That's supposedly a cuticle tool for working on your fingernails.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cuticle+Pusher
Some just sharpen the edge and repurpose it as a scraper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 08:38:12 AM
All your replies make me want a Spatula even more!

At the Victorinox flagship store you can build your own Spartan. Do any of you know if there is a similar way to build your own knife?
I've done some searching and could not find anything. Does Vic make single custom SAKs?

There are several contests out there for custom or limited deisgns, but that only apllies to the art on the scales.
Are there any possibilities to have a custom toolset made, either via a contest or via Vic self?

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:28 AM

The saw as "amputation device" was actually a thing. I read this story on the Victorinox site under testimonials a few years ago, but found it again in this news article:

"John Ross, a Canadian surgeon, wrote to the firm in the early 1990s about how he used his knife, with a saw blade attached, to perform amputations while based in Uganda.

"Shortly after I arrived here, my surgical saw was stolen," he wrote. "So I took the Swiss Army Knife that I always have with me, and boiled it to sterilise it. I decided to use the saw blade as a temporary amputation device."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/swiss-army-knife-makers-branch-out-20080110-1l8p.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:09:04 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 10:04:58 AM
I decided to use the saw blade as a temporary amputation device."

There are several of those war-stories out there. When I bough my first SAK 30 years ago they also gave me a booklet with Victorinox stories.
One was about a doctor on a plane ans someone choked. He used the small blade to puncture the larynx to give the patient air again.
Lovely stories, stuck with me for all that time.

The great thing is that every SAK user has simmilar stories. I do. Except I don't go around punching people in the larynx with my small blade.  :rofl:

EDIT
Just found this on the Victorinox website:
Can you make me a special knife?
We appreciate your interest in our Swiss Army Knives. Our range is extensive and accommodates most requests.
For technical reasons, we do not offer special one-off productions!

So, no dice. Unfortunately
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:00:26 AM by Mactire404 »

fi Offline Padre

Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 11:06:30 AM
There are several of those war-stories out there. When I bough my first SAK 30 years ago they also gave me a booklet with Victorinox stories.
One was about a doctor on a plane ans someone choked. He used the small blade to puncture the larynx to give the patient air again.

The great thing is that every SAK user has simmilar stories. I do. Except I don't go around punching people in the larynx with my small blade.  :rofl:

EDIT
We appreciate your interest in our Swiss Army Knives. Our range is extensive and accommodates most requests.

No spatulas for us.
 :(
People demand spatulas and they are blind. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 04:37:54 PM

EDIT

Yes that is why they made the rescue blade on the 58mm Saks.  The angle was better for emergency trachritomies.  This was back when they made a lot of customs advertising Saks for pharmaceutical companies that they would then give to doctors for free to promote their drug or company.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 01:42:22 AM

us Offline Simyo

Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 05:56:55 AM
Is that the same spring as a hookless scissor?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%