Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carbon Fiber Scales on a Cadet (or other SAK)?

Offline steelpastor

• New User
Carbon Fiber Scales on a Cadet (or other SAK)?
on: April 11, 2017, 01:26:46 AM
Greetings everyone!

Fantastic site... too much to even take in.  I am not a modder... it would be an ugly endeavor!  However, I do have some questions for those who are.

My EDC knife has gone from a modern folder with a blade length under 3 inches to now around 3.5 inch.  I switch off between a Benchmade 940-1 and a large Sebenza and a few others... all 3.5 inches or better and very light weight.  Sounds great and works well for me.  Yet, I have found that even though I live a rural part of California... there are still many sheeple types running around.  When I pull out a larger folding knife... I sometimes get some sidelong glances. 

So... I recently picked a SAK Cadet to carry in my front left pocket to deal with the tasks that it is well suited for.  Great knife.  Now... my questions begin.  I am a BIG fan of carbon fiber.  Does anyone replace the Alox scales with CF?  Weight is always an issue and I understand that CF may be slightly heavier than the stock Alox... but I really dig it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, although I really like the size and weight of the Cadet... I have zero need for a file.  Now, a reamer or some other implement... I am all in.  How customizing options for a SAK?  Particularly for a non-modder type?

Thank you in advance!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: Carbon Fiber Scales on a Cadet (or other SAK)?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:19:55 AM
I've done a few carbon fibre SAKs.
With the Cadet, to replace the scales you have to completely disassemble the knife. Also it is VITAL to get the holes in the right places relative to each other or the snap will be wrong.
None of this is really "non modder" stuff.
Another issue with the Cadet is that all the pins are 2.25mm. The closest rod available is 2.2mm but it is like unicorn poop. The easiest option (and i use the term easiest very loosely) is to use 3/32 inch rod and get hold of some 2.35mm carbide drills off eBay  and drill the holes out. Drill press only as these drills shatter with any side load.
Put off yet?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:21:10 AM by PTRSAK »

Offline steelpastor

• New User
Re: Carbon Fiber Scales on a Cadet (or other SAK)?
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 06:29:58 AM
UGH!  Well, any thoughts of me doing it are out the window!  LOL.

Are there any knife makers out there who specialize in this kind of thing?  What would your guess be on an approximate cost?  Does anyone do custum replacement of blades (I,e, a reamer for a nail file, for example)?

Are there models that are easier than others to mod?

It needs to be thin and pocketable.  Maybe a Pioneer?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:28:30 AM by steelpastor »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD