Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Regarding Swords

us Offline Wallace72

Regarding Swords
on: April 11, 2017, 04:33:00 AM
I am attempting to make a sword of the German messer variety. I have already started making a fuller on one side of the sword. Without a power hammer or milling machine, it takes quite a while. My question is...did single fuller blades ever exist not just on a messer but any kind of sword? and have you any suggestions for making a fuller?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:34:11 AM by Wallace72 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Regarding Swords
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:06:54 AM
Very interested to see what you come up with Wallace. :tu:  I think you are in OK form with a single fuller on may medieval blades.  I've known sword makers who will use the edge of a small angle grinder to form a fuller, though I suspect it takes a bit of practice to get a nice even and straight line.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:57:21 AM
Very interested to see what you come up with Wallace. :tu:  I think you are in OK form with a single fuller on may medieval blades.  I've known sword makers who will use the edge of a small angle grinder to form a fuller, though I suspect it takes a bit of practice to get a nice even and straight line.

I used a cutoff tool and angle grinder to make rough slot and then I used a swage and worked down the blade. This is just the first pass and I will do a few more to get it more even.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:33:17 PM
Looking good Wallace.  I'd perhaps be a little concerned that it looks quite heavy stock to me, but that might be just how I'm looking at it.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%