Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is Zebralight the end all light?

Aloha · 25 · 2295

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Is Zebralight the end all light?
on: April 12, 2017, 07:38:24 PM
We hear the Spirit is the end all MT for many.  Once you get it you're spoiled by its perfection that anything else is for fun only. 

I recently got a Zebralight SC52 L2 just after getting a Olight S1R.  These are my first 2 higher quality lights so my views maybe a bit off in the grader scheme of lights. 

What I can say tho is the ZL is wonderful.  I was hesitant because some have said the user interface UI was fiddly.  I also was unsure which light to get.  I ended up with this light because the options for cells it will accept. 

When I got the light I immediately went about familiarizing myself with it.  I then chose the settings among the choices this light has.  The great thing is even with my choices I still have, choices.  On its lowest mode I still have the option of a bit more light.  On its medium mode again another option for more light, same for high. 

There's a strobe so I'm a happy guy. 

I didn't and dont find the light to be fiddly at all actually.  I will say you will have to familiarize yourself with it tho.  I will also say if you aren't interested in programming the light no problem. 

Is it a light killer?  It really should be but I like lights too much to give it that title.

I'm now wanting a AAA version.     
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Is Zebralight the end all light?
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:33:34 PM
If it helps, my ZL (ironically, an SC52 variant I got back in 2013) elicited the same reaction from myself as well. I sometimes get new lights for the fun of it, but it's been a while now, and the ZL simply does not lose its place in EDC. I think the ZL UI really deserves its reputation for people either loving or hating it. My wife really can't stand the ZL UI, and prefer the “let's turn this light on and off and on and off and...” UIs (which I personally hate).

I have tried other “proper” flashlights (not many, though), but the ZL is the one I end up using.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:39:00 AM
I have bought a few different ZebraLights over the years (I particularly like their headlamps) and they meet my needs so well that for the last couple of years I haven't felt the need to buy any more lights (except for the ultra-cheap keychain "fauxtons" that I give away like lollies).

I'd probably buy an AAA version if they ever decided to make one.  Most of mine run on AA eneloops,  I do have a couple of 18650 ones, but truthfully I don't really need the extra oomph (lumens) or longer run time that you get from the bigger battery.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:40:32 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 03:52:14 AM
Haven't yet pulled the trigger on a ZL mainly bcoz of the UI and the price.

Went with the Armytek Tiara A1 instead... it's a multipurpose light  with anti-scratch proof coating (has a kind if rubberized feel to it) and has a waterproof rating of IP68.

It has a PRO version which adds a magnetic tail cap and strobe functions.

Might want to look at their Partner A1 Pro and Prime A1 Pro line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:10 PM
If there were in AAA I'd get some of them, but until then... :oops:

My 18650 rarely see usage, as do the AAs, all I use and carry now is AAA as I really don't need that much output 95% of the time
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:59:10 PM
I've carried a ZL SC52 L2 since they came out. Best light I've ever owned. I prefer the slimness of aaa lights at work, but the ZL still finds its way into my pocket. Running a 14500 in it turns it into a sun.  8)

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:44 AM
We hear the Spirit is the end all MT for many.  Once you get it you're spoiled by its perfection that anything else is for fun only. 

I recently got a Zebralight SC52 L2 just after getting a Olight S1R.  These are my first 2 higher quality lights so my views maybe a bit off in the grader scheme of lights. 

What I can say tho is the ZL is wonderful.  I was hesitant because some have said the user interface UI was fiddly.  I also was unsure which light to get.  I ended up with this light because the options for cells it will accept. 

When I got the light I immediately went about familiarizing myself with it.  I then chose the settings among the choices this light has.  The great thing is even with my choices I still have, choices.  On its lowest mode I still have the option of a bit more light.  On its medium mode again another option for more light, same for high. 

There's a strobe so I'm a happy guy. 

I didn't and dont find the light to be fiddly at all actually.  I will say you will have to familiarize yourself with it tho.  I will also say if you aren't interested in programming the light no problem. 

Is it a light killer?  It really should be but I like lights too much to give it that title.

I'm with you.  I have an SC5W and I love it.  The UI allows for customizing your brightness levels which I like.  And 500 Lm off a AA makes me happy.  It's my go to AA light.  Most of the time I carry AAA lights though and if ZL made one I'd be all over it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:54:47 AM
So I just got some 14500s for my light.  WOW.  This is exactly the light I had in mind when I bought it.  Thats not to say the light was a slouch in any way before but with the 14500, WOW.   Guess you can say I am over the moon again with this light. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 01:27:54 PM
Zebralight is an excellent light, no doubt about it... but.....

I personally like both the Nextorch programmable lights and the Photon Proton lights better.  The Proton is very versatile and easy to master, while the Nextorch can be programmed with complex sequences very easily- assuming you have access to a computer!

But then, I don't have as much light experience as many here, so I am just talking about the ones that I have found.  There's a vast number of other lights and brands that are far beyond my meager experience.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 02:44:56 PM
If by "end all" you are referring to sanity, then by all means the Zebralight is the one  :whistle:

I never got along with the control system on it. For those who haven't seen it yet, I did a write up on the Zebralight Learning Curve. Thank you for giving me an excuse to repost it  >:D

Zebralight Learning Curve:

• Grab light and push button with thumb, forgetting that (unlike any other torch that ever existed)depending how quick you do that depends what light you get - full power, minimum power, or a rapid scroll through levels. Swear at it!
  • Push button lightly (as in soft press) for next level and wait to see which level is next. It goes off (but not immediately). Swear at it!
  • Push button to turn it back on at a different speed, and light comes on at a different light level to before. Swear at it.
  • Try double clicking it. The light changes two settings, but flickers the intermediate setting on it's way there. Feel the start of a headache coming on, and swear at it!
  • Remember the "press and hold to change mode" thingy. Press and hold button. It goes too far before you let go and you get the light level after the one you wanted. Swear at it!
  • Press button quicker to advance light mode slower, and it goes off. Swear at it loudly!
  • Press button to turn back on, this time with eyes shut as you're getting frightened of giving yourself a seizure. Swear at it regardless of light level. Open eyes and assess which level the imp has chosen. Swear again regardless of result!
  • Press and hold and whimper as the light cycles through the various levels as you try to time it to stop on the right one. With gritted teeth and misting eyes, finally achieve the required light level for the job at hand (praying it doesn't need more than one light level)
  • Press the button to turn it off and it waits a fraction of a second just in case it's a double click. That's enough time for your brain to think you didn't press it right and tell your thumb to try again. By the time your thumb starts moving again the light has gone off so you end up turning it on again! SCREAM AT IT !!!
  • Whilst still screaming, press the button more slowly and deliberately to make bloody sure the button works this time. Light level changes and stays on. Look at the window to decide if it's high enough to jump out of. Start to cry
  • Stop ... take a breath ... think clearly and press the button once and wait. Light goes off!
  • Return light to drawer and pick up something else which hasn't been possessed by an evil spirit. Attempt to calm down and mend your wounded soul.
  • Leave the light there until you've read enough posts at good people at MT.O who have tamed the beast with bright smiling faces and give it constant praise. Feel convinced it's worth trying it out again.
  • Return to step 1 ......

.... and if anyone wants to buy mine, or trade for it, send me a PM!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:46:10 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 03:53:59 PM
I remember your post 50ft  :rofl:

Any of you fellas in the UK looking for a great light you really should take 50ft up on his offer  :pok:.   
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 03:59:41 PM
If by "end all" you are referring to sanity, then by all means the Zebralight is the one  :whistle:

I never got along with the control system on it. For those who haven't seen it yet, I did a write up on the Zebralight Learning Curve. Thank you for giving me an excuse to repost it  >:D

I almost feel slightly guilty for being the one who sent you such a devilish contraption (almost   :pok:) .....    (but then again, I actually like the ZL user interface, possibly because I use it frequently)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 04:22:48 PM

I almost feel slightly guilty for being the one who sent you such a devilish contraption (almost   :pok:) .....    (but then again, I actually like the ZL user interface, possibly because I use it frequently)

You shouldn't feel guilty at all, Greg. There's no one light/knife/tool that's universally ideal for everyone. I am glad I tried it, even though I didn't get along with it. It's all part of the journey  :D

To save me trying to dig back for the info, can you remember which ZL it was?

ca Offline JP

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 05:02:15 PM

The last line says it all.  :D

I have a half dozen torches but the one I use the most and carry daily is the EagleTac P10A. Single AA light, almost 10years old and still running strong on Energizer L91's.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 02:09:16 AM

IIRC it was an (now) older Zebralight SC30 which run on a single CR123 battery (or rechargeable equivalent).  Does that sound right ?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:45 AM

IIRC it was an (now) older Zebralight SC30 which run on a single CR123 battery (or rechargeable equivalent).  Does that sound right ?

Yeah, that sounds like the one  :tu: Cheers mate  :cheers:

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 10:35:05 PM
I don't believe there is such a thing as an "end all" light, for anyone - at least, not for me.

Before I made my first Zebralight purchase (It was an SC62w, by the way), I had a lot of reservations.  I kept thinking to myself, what's so special about these funny-looking little lights?

Then, my SC62w arrived in the mail, I installed a fully-charged 18650 battery in it, and powered it on, and then,  I got it.  I couldn't believe the tremendous output, out of such a small light.  I had never had a light with this type of user interface, but I got used to it, in just a few minutes (though it's not for everyone).  The only thing that would make it all the better an EDC light would be to somehow incorporate a tail-end switch, for momentary activation, at the highest output; but it's still an excellent light, regardless.

I ended up also picking up a used SC600w Mk II L2 (on CPF Marketplace), which I also loved, and still have, to this day.

Then, I lost the SC62w.  Broke my heart.  Until I replaced it, I carried around the Mk II, which was a little bit bulkier for pocket carry, but I did it, anyway.  The SC62w was almost immediately replaced with the newer SC600w Mk III, which has become my main EDC carry light, when I can carry no other light, on-person (at work, for instance).  Generally, I carry at least two lights on-person:

while not at work (and a slew of others, in a bag)

or  these (with the Zebralights being on-person):

For me, the SC600w Mk III has become a truly indispensable light, for on-person carry.  I don't go anywhere without it.   The Mk II generally rides in a small holster, right behind my iPhone.  I can hardly tell it's there.

The incredible output, from such a tiny light; the superb thermal regulation; the instant access to the main output modes (directly from off); the easy programing (for alternate outputs, on the fly), the incredible run times, at lower outputs; rock solid dependability, the pleasant neutral tint, all make this an easy choice as my primary EDC on-person light.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:13:58 AM by David Quevedo »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 11:31:36 PM
Great lights.  End all light was more of a.......   Hyperbole  :D.  Of course there is no good reason not to buy the next awesome light.  I mean come on now David, what are we, barbaric?  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 01:17:47 AM
Great lights.  End all light was more of a.......   Hyperbole  :D.  Of course there is no good reason not to buy the next awesome light.  I mean come on now David, what are we, barbaric?  :rofl:

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm kind of fanatical about having lights with different tints, available to me, whenever possible, and I use them very heavily at work, after hours (when I'm alone, in lieu of the horrid fluorescent lighting; in my opinion, the most depressing lighting ever invented)).

Gotta be civilized, and have the basic selection of tints :P

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:09:23 AM
 :salute:

I've yet to experience Nichia 219C however theres a small light that might be a good one, you know for "testing" purposes. 

Manker E02.  Inexpensive.  I've also still very much need to get a Armytek in warm. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 03:38:35 AM

I've yet to experience Nichia 219C however theres a small light that might be a good one, you know for "testing" purposes. 

Manker E02.  Inexpensive.  I've also still very much need to get a Armytek in warm.

Beware !  That sounds very much like "the thin end of a wedge" to me (ie the start of a new collection ........)   :rofl:

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 03:38:50 AM

I have several 219B Nichia lights, but nothing in C.  Definitely want to try one of those out, as well; but mostly for the higher output (not the actual tint, which I hear, is cooler than the 219B.

The Manker looks interesting, but I'm not a fan of AAA lights.  I'm pretty much in the 18650 camp, primarily, but I do have some AA lights (which see very rare use, comparatively speaking).

As for Armytek, I have their Barracuda, in warm tint, and it's beautiful!  Would definitely like to get my hands on one of their warm headlamps, as well as a warm Zebralight.  Armytek's "warm" is much warmer than Zebralight's, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:41:19 AM by David Quevedo »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43:35 AM

Zebralight Learning Curve:

• Grab light and push button with thumb, forgetting that (unlike any other torch that ever existed)depending how quick you do that depends what light you get - full power, minimum power, or a rapid scroll through levels. Swear at it!
  • Push button lightly (as in soft press) for next level and wait to see which level is next. It goes off (but not immediately). Swear at it!
  • Push button to turn it back on at a different speed, and light comes on at a different light level to before. Swear at it.
  • Try double clicking it. The light changes two settings, but flickers the intermediate setting on it's way there. Feel the start of a headache coming on, and swear at it!
  • Remember the "press and hold to change mode" thingy. Press and hold button. It goes too far before you let go and you get the light level after the one you wanted. Swear at it!
  • Press button quicker to advance light mode slower, and it goes off. Swear at it loudly!
  • Press button to turn back on, this time with eyes shut as you're getting frightened of giving yourself a seizure. Swear at it regardless of light level. Open eyes and assess which level the imp has chosen. Swear again regardless of result!
  • Press and hold and whimper as the light cycles through the various levels as you try to time it to stop on the right one. With gritted teeth and misting eyes, finally achieve the required light level for the job at hand (praying it doesn't need more than one light level)
  • Press the button to turn it off and it waits a fraction of a second just in case it's a double click. That's enough time for your brain to think you didn't press it right and tell your thumb to try again. By the time your thumb starts moving again the light has gone off so you end up turning it on again! SCREAM AT IT !!!
  • Whilst still screaming, press the button more slowly and deliberately to make bloody sure the button works this time. Light level changes and stays on. Look at the window to decide if it's high enough to jump out of. Start to cry
  • Stop ... take a breath ... think clearly and press the button once and wait. Light goes off!
  • Return light to drawer and pick up something else which hasn't been possessed by an evil spirit. Attempt to calm down and mend your wounded soul.
  • Leave the light there until you've read enough posts at good people at MT.O who have tamed the beast with bright smiling faces and give it constant praise. Feel convinced it's worth trying it out again.
  • Return to step 1 ......

I'll give you a fiver for it. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 02:36:42 PM
Cheapskate  :D

Although I am tempted  :rofl:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 05:11:01 PM
Been wanting to comment on this thread. Will do so tonight.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85