Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Kayak Knives

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
My Kayak Knives
on: April 13, 2017, 12:35:32 AM
I've talked about kayak knives a lot in the past, and despite that fact that not a lot of you kayak, you have been very supportive and asked a lot of questions, which I appreciate.  :D

I've also said that at some point I was going to put together a list and comparison of my kayak knives, so finally here they are.

Clockwise from the top is the CRKT Bear Claw Rescue version, followed by theBoker Canoe Kayak Knife designed by my good buddy Abe Elias at Diving Sparrow Knifeworks, then the CRKT Neckolas designed by Terry Renner and finally the Benchmade 110H2O knife.

I'm going to start with my absolute favorite, which should come as no surprise to anyone:

Yup, the CRKT Neckolas, the knife that was so odd looking that CRKT couldn't give them away and discontinued them almost immediately.  It came in the orange G-10 handle and sheath with a serrated blade, or a blue/black handle and sheath with a plain edge and a bit more of a point.  I have had both over the years, but I have owned and given away more of the orange ones than the blue ones, and even now Megan thinks I have given this one to her.  :P

So why do I think it's the best?  Well, that's simple- it is easy to orient in your hand, it won't come out of the sheath until you want it to, and while using it there is very little chance of performing surgery on yourself.  Plus the large finger ring means that once you have it in your hand it won't slip or twist- it really becomes an extension of you.  I get what you are thinking- the handle looks awkward and the sheath looks bulky.  I felt that way too, but then I got one and I was hooked.  It's light, it has multiple carry methods, it's secure in the sheath, and it isn't intimidating to other people.  If you held it, you'd understand what makes it so great.

Next up is the Benchmade 110H2O knife, which is also discontinued.  I like this one a lot, even though it doesn't have the rounded tip that I like so much on the others.

The soft rubber handle makes this one a joy to grip, and it is super easy to access because there is no retention strap or other method of keeping it in the sheath, and yet it still stays there safely and securely, even in the handle down carry configuration that I use when I mount it to my Personal Flotation Device (PFD, aka life jacket).  The handle isn't as obvious to determine which direction the blade is going, which could make for an awkward moment in a self rescue if you are one of those people that believes blood and organs should stay on the inside.

On the flip side, since it does mount directly to the PFD, rather than being worn like a neck knife (as I do with the Neckolas) it is always in the exact position I want it to be in when I need it, so the orientation isn't as big of a deal as it could be.  The knife is comfortable in the hand and I do like the flat edge that I can use for prying when I find interesting things while snorkelling. And, the steel seems to be almost 100% stain resistant, even more so than all of the others.

Unfortunately, at around $100, it was also more expensive than all three of the others combined, so while I do like it, I just can't recommend it to people.

Next up is the Boker.  If I was to use it's full name it would be the Boker Plus Canoe Kayak Knife from Diving Sparrow Knifeworks, designed by Abraham Elias.  Now you know why the knife is so big- it had to be so they could print the name on it.   :facepalm:

This knife is really interesting, in that there's a lot I like about it, and a fair bit that I don't, and most of what I don't like wasn't part of the original design.  For example, it was never meant to be a carbon steel with a protective coating.  I don't know who made the brilliant idea to make a knife for use around water out of a steel that corrodes easily, but I would very much like to give that person a wedgie they won't soon forget.  Further, the brittle plastic used in the handles makes the while knife feel fragile.  I am also not a huge fan of the serration pattern, but it's good enough- it was also meant to be different, but these were the serrations Boker was putting on other things, so they went on this too. 

But, despite all of that, the Boker Canoe Kayak knife isn't that bad.  It's inexpensive (although also discontinued) at (I think) around $20-30, and the handle is nice, if a little slick.  It is the largest of the knives, but you can easily see where the design was meant to go.  If you had a nice stainless steel, g-10 or micarta handles and a serration pattern with a bit different tooth pattern it would be great, but probably close to ten times the price.  For what it is, it's light enough, and the serrations are at the right end at least, so I really can't fault it one bit, and I would recommend to anyone looking to get into paddling that they get one of these- if they can find it.

At this point I'd also like to point out that while I do like the orange, I like the even higher visibility of the yellow even more.  The Benchmade wins that particular category, being the brightest, but really, none of these suffer that much.

Last but not least we come to another offering from CRKT, the Bear Claw Rescue knife.

Russ Kommer did a beautiful job on this knife- it has a few of the things I like about the Neckolas without being an outright copy of the Neckolas.  It has the bright color, it has the rounded tip, it has the finger ring- it has all of the makings to be a great kayak knife, and, I believe it might actually still be in production.... or have been discontinued more recently than the others.   :facepalm:

The Bear Claw also benefits from being inexpensive, and the handle, while bulky, does fit in your hand quite well.  Given the shape, you don't have to worry too much about orientation in your hand either!  It locks into the sheath securely as well, and there's little to no chance of it coming out when you don't want it to.  The sheath, like the handle however is pretty bulky.  In fact, this is perhaps the bulkiest knife of the bunch, despite being one of the smaller knives in the mix.  It might be suited to a guy who survives by hunting and eating bears in Alaska, but I believe it is going to be a bit too bulky for me to really appreciate it when I'm paddling- that's just speculation though, as it has not yet actually made it out on the boat with me yet.  I hope to remedy that soon, and I will of course report back when I do.

In the end I wouldn't hesitate to take any of these knives paddling with me, whether it's just a quick trip or a longer, overnight/camping trip.  I feel like they would handle basic camp chores (although the Bear Claw might be a bit difficult to cut a steak with!) well enough, which would save you from having to carry extra knives with you.

So what's next in line for my kayaking?  I am hoping to add a couple of Gerbers to the mix- the River Shorty is a classic (in fact, I bought one for my father a few years ago) and I am also eying the Gerber Epic.

River Shorty:

Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg

Oops, wrong link....  :ahhh

The color may be off on that one, but it comes with a bottle opener, so it might earn it's keep!   :drink:

So that's it- my kayak knives.  I'd love to see what the other paddlers here are carrying when they head out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: My Kayak Knives
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:37:32 AM
Do you ever have a lanyard on the knife itself? Would be one of the rare circumstances I'd consider having one over water. A Gear reviewer here in Aus lost a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 whilst out kayaking.
Out of all those you have, I'd think the benchmade appears to have the most versatility for a single knife, so guessing that the Gerber River Shorty would offer a cheaper alternative to that style?

If I was to go kayaking right now I'd probably take my Mora Light My Fire knife as I don't have anything dedicated to water use like yours (other than a couple of cheap fishing knives). I'd also probably take a SAK like my Huntsman.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 01:05:11 PM
I am torn on having the lanyard on the knife.  On the one hand it is necessary to avoid potentially losing it, but on the other the loose line can be just another thing to tangle up in.

In that vein I also like the sheep's foot blades because it means I can cut my way free of things without worrying about slashing myself.

I also much prefer fixed blades and don't really think a folder or SAK is ideal for kayaking because if I need it I need it and don't want extra steps of having to open something.  Of course if I plan to stop or camp along the way I have a SAK or something with me for that but you have to keep it simple on the water.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:21:47 PM
I am torn on having the lanyard on the knife.  On the one hand it is necessary to avoid potentially losing it, but on the other the loose line can be just another thing to tangle up in.

In that vein I also like the sheep's foot blades because it means I can cut my way free of things without worrying about slashing myself.

I also much prefer fixed blades and don't really think a folder or SAK is ideal for kayaking because if I need it I need it and don't want extra steps of having to open something.  Of course if I plan to stop or camp along the way I have a SAK or something with me for that but you have to keep it simple on the water.

Def

I've had this debate with myself many times. I usually end up with not having the lanyard on my fixed blade (which is strapped to my PFD). If I'm carrying a multi (ie when fishing) then it is usually attached with shock cord. This way I have good reach but with less line to tangle in.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:11:25 PM
I would say no lanyard.

Slightly off topic, but the period in my life where I used a MT most, it skinned a chicken, and 99% of the rest I was dangling off a boat, working on the motor or cutting nets from the prop.

One slip and it's gone, but also not the place for a shock cord attachment.

It was a Core, I still have it, it pays to be careful.  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:07:08 PM
I was at a local outdoors shop today and this little knife followed me home.

I think it caught my eye because of it's similarity to my current go to kayak knife, the Benchmade 110H2O knife, except with a bottle opener and a much smaller price tag.   :ahhh

See?  Very similar.  :D

It's called the Akua Paddle/Dive knife and I like the titanium coated blade, but as the steel underneath is only 420 I am wondering what the point of the extra corrosion resistance of the titanium is there for.  There's really not enough iron in 420 steel to rust, is there?  The other question is, will it take and/or hold much of an edge?

On the surface it seems very similar to the Benchmade knife, similar blades and similar handles, at least in color....

While they are similar, you can tell the steel isn't nearly as hard, which is likely why the strap cutter blade isn't as deep on the Akua knife as it is on the much harder steel of the Benchmade.  Also, the handle is a hard plastic, versus the extra grippy rubber handle of the Benchmade.

So the Benchmade justifies it's higher price with better materials- that's typical, although I would much rather watch this $30 knife slowly sink to the bottom of a lake than the $100+ Benchmade, although that is less likely due to the fact that the Akua actually clips into the sheath, while the Benchmade fits in mostly with friction.  It's never fallen out on me (which is why it is still here to take pictures of) but I really wish it clicked in like the Akua.  Even though it clicks in, it pops back out easily when you push the release with your thumb.

I also like the skeletonized sheath, which is great for drainage, which seems odd to say since there really isn't enough sheath to hold enough water to drain.   :facepalm:

The sheath also comes apart so that you can configure and attach it in different ways, which comes in handy if you want to move it from a wetsuit to a leg strap to a PFD, because you know, you don't want to wear a PFD while trying to dive.  I'll have to do some experimenting to try and figure out the best way to mount it to my PFD.  The clip seems like it will hold really well, but when I tried it in the pocket of my jeans I drew the sheath with the rest of the knife, and the clip didn't even slow it down.   :facepalm:

I'm not sure if I like it or not yet, but I am intrigued enough to give it a shot, and I am looking forward to using it to see if it is better than the Benchmade, despite it being roughly 1/3 of the price.  In it's favor it has the bottle opener (important when diving and paddling!), the sheath (and it's ability to lock on to the knife) and it's price tag.  Working against it is the less comfortable handle and the lesser steel.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:31:48 PM
Would've been better ergonomically if they'd left out the opener...

If the HT is good, 420 should be good enough  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 02:53:37 PM
That's my hope.  There really isn't much of an edge from the factory.  I can actually press the plain edge portion into my fingers with a reasonable amount of force and suffer no damage at all.

Luckily I have the means to fix that....  >:D

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 04:00:34 PM

Luckily I have the means to fix that....  >:D

Def

As you should  :salute:

The idea is a rescue knife?  Not a general use utility as well?

Watched a video recently with a very good argument for a less than great steel being sufficient, price, irregular use and ease of sharpening.....

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 04:20:24 PM
I sharpened it up nicely on a Lansky diamond stone and ceramic crock sticks.  It's properly sharp now.  :D

I agree on the steel- to a point. I am not a firm believe in super steels, and I would much rather have a decent steel that is easily resharpened than one of those ultra super edge retention even after cutting a classic Buick in half type steels.  But, there are limits, and 420 is generally considered below even my standards.

It is largely to be used as a rescue type knife, but i often like to use them as a general use knife too, so i expect it to function as a knife when i need it.  I don't think that's asking too much?

Def

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 07:20:26 PM
 :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 01:27:26 PM
My apologies, apparently I have been lying to you all.  The Benchmade actually does lock into the sheath, and the grey button on the front of the sheath releases it.  However, it can also be pulled out, which is what I have been doing all along.

Sorry about that.

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 02:11:34 PM
My apologies, apparently I have been lying to you all.  The Benchmade actually does lock into the sheath, and the grey button on the front of the sheath releases it.  However, it can also be pulled out, which is what I have been doing all along.

Sorry about that.

Def

so, defective button, at Benchmade's price point... :ahhh

I am happy to see you got an edge on that 420, depending on the maker most low priced 420 knives are "gummy" and can't/won't take and edge at all, no matter your sharpening tools and method  :pok:
This one seems decent if you could get it sharp  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 09:44:27 PM
Not a defective product, more of a defective user.  I'm pretty sure Benchmade intended for this knife to be pulled out quickly and this was intentional.  It does also make me feel a lit better aboutnts retention in the sheath.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%