Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Implements and modding

Splat · 17 · 2851

us Offline Splat

SAK Implements and modding
on: October 08, 2008, 07:05:10 PM
So I wrote in another thread about my wanting a wood saw on my Cybertool 34. I don't need the heft and other implements the Cybertool 41 has so maybe a mod was in order.

So I was just over at Vic's Toolfinder trying to see the differences in shape of various SAK implements. I'm having a hard time seeing what minor differences there are. NKB/Neil wrote, "You're going to have to use a combo tool in place of the little blade.  As Gareth says, the bottle opener is too thick and its crimped the wrong way."  I thought most of a SAK's implements were combo tools.....?  What is meant by different crimps? How would I know if an implement will fit.... just by trying I guess eh?
Splat

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: SAK Implements and modding
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:10:06 PM
By trying, and by asking the more experienced modders around. They've already tried. :D
Got those frog legs.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11:59 PM
So I wrote in another thread about my wanting a wood saw on my Cybertool 34. I don't need the heft and other implements the Cybertool 41 has so maybe a mod was in order.

So I was just over at Vic's Toolfinder trying to see the differences in shape of various SAK implements. I'm having a hard time seeing what minor differences there are. NKB/Neil wrote, "You're going to have to use a combo tool in place of the little blade.  As Gareth says, the bottle opener is too thick and its crimped the wrong way."  I thought most of a SAK's implements were combo tools.....?  What is meant by different crimps? How would I know if an implement will fit.... just by trying I guess eh?

The combo tool is a tool which is actually called "a combo tool".  It is a bottle opener and can opener in one.  Great space saver, but TBH it is jack of none.  :-\
I'm back!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:24:47 PM
There is no Combo tool listed in implements in Vic's Tool Finder. Is this a discontinued implement, Ben?
Splat

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:30:48 PM
There is no Combo tool listed in implements in Vic's Tool Finder. Is this a discontinued implement, Ben?

I doubt it  :-\.  I'll find you a pic.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:18 PM
This has the combo on it;

I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:37:23 PM
No it's still in production :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:40:50 AM
The only one you'll find on a 91mm knife is on the Compact.  It is used on a few more of the 84mm knives like the Waiter and Bantam.  The problem with them though is the pin hole is smaller so you would have to drill it out to fit.  A word of warning; you can't just use a normal drill bit, the tools are to hard, you would need to use a harder bit (the name escapes me for the moment) or you could soften the tool as Scibeer did here http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=220&Itemid=35 but I think that would weaken the combo tool to much.  I like using the combo tool as a space saver and I think it is a shame it isn't used more.  It can also be seen on retired SAKs like the Yeoman and Scientist.  Best of luck, it sound like a great Mod.  :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:23:15 AM
I've just tried to take a photo to show what I meant by "the crimp" but its didn't make it any clearer.  If you look at a bottle opener it has two sides, one is slanted the other is flat.  If you put the can opener opposite the blade the flat edge is up against the blade instead of the sloped side.

For all I know "crimp" is the wrong word, but its all I have  :think:

That should be clear as mud now :D

Neil

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:59:17 PM

For all I know "crimp" is the wrong word, but its all I have  :think:

"Crink" is the term used on SOSAK for what you are describing.
- Terry

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 01:29:00 PM
Crink!  That's what I meant :D

I new I was close ;)

Neil

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 05:46:09 PM
I knew what you meant Neil...sort of... :P

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 05:59:47 PM
I should have just stuck with, "no it won't fit, use combi tool, don't believe me, then try it :D::)

Neil

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 06:03:04 PM
...that along with a reflecto-photo ::)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 07:15:25 PM

There are lots of flaws with the tool finder.  It doesn't list the back mounted Phillips, it won't tell you about the Compact or the Mechanic, it lists some of the 111mm range but not all etc.  That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.  >:(
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:17:46 PM
...that along with a reflecto-photo ::)

Stop it right now :twak: bad SporK bad  :twak:

Neil

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 09:26:07 PM

The combo tool is a tool which is actually called "a combo tool".  It is a bottle opener and can opener in one.  Great space saver, but TBH it is jack of none.  :-\

eh :D

ive been waitin to get my combo tool to replace one layer of openers by addin the combo opener to same layer with main blade which in my case is the small electrician blade.i have used the combo tool and it performs but as they say,its combo,and not as good as dedicaded tools but makes the tool more combact.and i really dont use anythin of it,as much as i use the can opener function of that combo,the flathead is coming more rare all the time and bottles can be opened with about anythin from jaws to rocks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%