Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evolution of my SAK's.

cbl51 · 15 · 1070

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Evolution of my SAK's.
on: April 14, 2017, 04:51:32 PM
The first half of my life, I acquired stuff. Guns, tools, and most of all knives. Big knives, little knives, slip joints, sheath knives, lock blades. I was a knife nut. No, that's not quite right, I was a knife addict. I'd make impulse buys on knives I had no use for, or already had in one form or another. It got worse when I discovered the internet and knife based web sites.

Then I had the epiphany. It was like the breaking of the dawn after a long dark and stormy night. It was like waking up from a period of insanity and looking back on what I had been doing and thinking "What the hell was I thinking!." I started to get rid of stuff. Guns, tools, and knives. The kids, then the grandkids, and then old co-workers and friends got windfall gifts. One of the pleasures I've found growing older is, giving stuff away while I'm still here to enjoy seeing the joy of them getting the gift. Of all my knives, almost all are gone now, except for the SAK's and a very few 'other' knives. My whole knife collection now can fit in a zip up leather tobacco pouch. SAK's are the majority and alox is the majority of the SAK's.

I was never into the one hand wonders of the tactical knife thing, as I could never see the draw of a one trick pony of a knife. Carrying a boy scout knife since the age of 12, and a SAK since the age of 19, I just got too used to having a few basic tools on hand in a small package. That same draw saw me with slip joint knives like a stockman. Having three different blades to choose from was nice. But after a while, I realized I missed the screw drives and other tools. An awl is handy at times you need a sharp pointy poky thing. And the whole world seems to be held together these days with small Phillips screws that fit the SD tip of the standard SAK can opener. And the can opener blade makes a great staple puller.

But…as I got "older" I found myself downsizing. The 93mm SAK's and full size stockmen gave way to the 91mm, and then the 84mm. My long time Buck 301 stockman gave way to a Case peanut. I found as a retired gentleman of leisure doing a lot of fishing, traveling, that I just didn't need a lot of knife blade. A small sharp bit of steel will do, but I find the need for a small screw driver just as much. Small screws on a fishing reel, glass's screws, a small scissors for snip jobs. I found myself increasingly using the heck out of my 58mm classic. The littlest SAK.  All this of course left room for other stuff in the pockets.

I've long been a fanatic on small. Being a backpacker, and then a ultralight backpacker as age found me and had it's way, weight became a mortal enemy. Not just trimming the handle on my toothbrush, and clipping off tea bag tags, but selecting the smallest, lightest piece of gear that could do the job. Photon lights, SAK classic, tiny monocular instead of binoculars, and so on. Even a mini North American Arms .22 to replace my J frame Smith and Wesson snubbie .38 revolver. I became a fanatic for the little knives, and the Victorinox 58mm's are the kings of the little knives. No matter how nice that Case peanut, or Boker stag handle penknife, they are like the one hand wonder tactical knives; one trick ponies. Even the highly regard stockman and barlow knives that are dear to the hearts of the traditional knife crown, are still one trick ponies. They just cut. That's it. Bupkis. Nadda.

Even a tiny classic though, still had flat and Phillips screw capabilities, splinter plucking capability with tweezers, nail clipping capability in case of a broke nail with scissors and file on hand. And, for gravy on the potatoes, it even has a sharp little knife blade to cut with, and it cuts like the dickens. A tiny bit of multi role use in a keychain package. Move up to the rambler, or even a mini champ, and it has more capabilities that are really useful in real world situations, baring of fighting off Chinese paratroopers!

So, the best pocket knife for a white haired gentleman of leisure? A 58mm SAK of course. The uncrowned king of the little knives. Add a P-38 and a Sear's keychain screw driver in the wallet, and you can deal with a heck of a lot. The Sear's 4-way deals with flat or phillips screws and serves as a light pry tool. Smallest bit on the Sears screw driver has been filed to fit number 2 and slightly larger Phillips screws.The P-38 has a hundred uses.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:01:41 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Re: Evolution of my SAK's.
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:30:10 PM
The first half of my life, I acquired stuff. Guns, tools, and most of all knives. Big knives, little knives, slip joints, sheath knives, lock blades. I was a knife nut. No, that's not quite right, I was a knife addict. I'd make impulse buys on knives I had no use for, or already had in one form or another. It got worse when I discovered the internet and knife based web sites.

Then I had the epiphany. It was like the breaking of the dawn after a long dark and stormy night. It was like waking up from a period of insanity and looking back on what I had been doing and thinking "What the hell was I thinking!." I started to get rid of stuff. Guns, tools, and knives. The kids, then the grandkids, and then old co-workers and friends got windfall gifts. One of the pleasures I've found growing older is, giving stuff away while I'm still here to enjoy seeing the joy of them getting the gift. Of all my knives, almost all are gone now, except for the SAK's and a very few 'other' knives. My whole knife collection now can fit in a zip up leather tobacco pouch. SAK's are the majority and alox is the majority of the SAK's.

I was never into the one hand wonders of the tactical knife thing, as I could never see the draw of a one trick pony of a knife. Carrying a boy scout knife since the age of 12, and a SAK since the age of 19, I just got too used to having a few basic tools on hand in a small package. That same draw saw me with slip joint knives like a stockman. Having three different blades to choose from was nice. But after a while, I realized I missed the screw drives and other tools. An awl is handy at times you need a sharp pointy poky thing. And the whole world seems to be held together these days with small Phillips screws that fit the SD tip of the standard SAK can opener. And the can opener blade makes a great staple puller.

But…as I got "older" I found myself downsizing. The 93mm SAK's and full size stockmen gave way to the 91mm, and then the 84mm. My long time Buck 301 stockman gave way to a Case peanut. I found as a retired gentleman of leisure doing a lot of fishing, traveling, that I just didn't need a lot of knife blade. A small sharp bit of steel will do, but I find the need for a small screw driver just as much. Small screws on a fishing reel, glass's screws, a small scissors for snip jobs. I found myself increasingly using the heck out of my 58mm classic. The littlest SAK.  All this of course left room for other stuff in the pockets.

I've long been a fanatic on small. Being a backpacker, and then a ultralight backpacker as age found me and had it's way, weight became a mortal enemy. Not just trimming the handle on my toothbrush, and clipping off tea bag tags, but selecting the smallest, lightest piece of gear that could do the job. Photon lights, SAK classic, tiny monocular instead of binoculars, and so on. Even a mini North American Arms .22 to replace my J frame Smith and Wesson snubbie .38 revolver. I became a fanatic for the little knives, and the Victorinox 58mm's are the kings of the little knives. No matter how nice that Case peanut, or Boker stag handle penknife, they are like the one hand wonder tactical knives; one trick ponies. Even the highly regard stockman and barlow knives that are dear to the hearts of the traditional knife crown, are still one trick ponies. They just cut. That's it. Bupkis. Nadda.

Even a tiny classic though, still had flat and Phillips screw capabilities, splinter plucking capability with tweezers, nail clipping capability in case of a broke nail with scissors and file on hand. And, for gravy on the potatoes, it even has a sharp little knife blade to cut with, and it cuts like the dickens. A tiny bit of multi role use in a keychain package. Move up to the rambler, or even a mini champ, and it has more capabilities that are really useful in real world situations, baring of fighting off Chinese paratroopers!

So, the best pocket knife for a white haired gentleman of leisure? A 58mm SAK of course. The uncrowned king of the little knives. Add a P-38 and a Sear's keychain screw driver in the wallet, and you can deal with a heck of a lot. The Sear's 4-way deals with flat or phillips screws and serves as a light pry tool. Smallest bit on the Sears screw driver has been filed to fit number 2 and slightly larger Phillips screws.The P-38 has a hundred uses.

I enjoy hearing about the experiences of fellow SAK enthusiasts.  From my late teen years to my mid-twenties, I collected throwing knives and tactical knives.  I was heavily invested in martial arts at a time most of the U.S. population was unaware of anything other than boxing and wrestling. My personal priorities changed and I gave my knife collection to my youngest brother.

I am now retired with very modest requirements.  With easy access to a variety of tools, I really don't need a pocket folding knife.  However, I have never enjoyed having a pocket folding knife more since it provides a strong nostalgic link to my grandfather (born in 1880) who always carried a folding knife and used one for daily tasks.

Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:32:48 PM by NorCalJim »

us Offline Danjo

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:19:11 PM
Great thread! I finally got to the point a few days ago where I had to put myself, and my acquisition habits, in check. I'd just been buying and buying SAKs to see what they were like without regard to their usefulness to me personally. I have carried pocket knives with me since I was seven years old (Cub Scout Knife, on up), and use them all the time. When I was doing construction work, the one-handed openers were nice to have on me, etc., but now I don't need one. When I bought a Trekker last week, I knew I had gone too far. I find the tool set on the Spartan, Tinker, and now, Compact, to be all I need on a daily basis. If I'm going camping, or somewhere else that is well away from my garage and tools, then I tend to take a larger model with more options as well as one of my Leathermans. I like SAKs and will always carry them, but at 50 years-old, I figured out that if I lost or broke one SAK every six months, I wouldn't run out for 12 years. Since I haven't lost or broken a knife in years, I figure that I have enough for the time being. I still love seeing all the various models out there and swapping out what I carry for fun, but I'm going to be spending my allowance on other items for the near future.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:21:35 PM by Danjo »
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:46:38 PM

So, you worry about those Chinese paratroopers too......

:D  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:59 AM
The Chinese don't need to send paratroopers. They make almost all our stuff.
(consider how much trouble the city of Troy had from a single horse of Greek manufacture)
R

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 12:51:50 AM
I don't get the love of the P-38. Egonomically horrible, won't stay closed.  Give me a SAK with a can opener any day.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 03:03:59 AM
COOL STORY!
Thanks for sharing!  :ahhh 8) :cheers:

?? QUESTION  :think:
What does the P-38 do for you.....that the other 2 cant do for you.....Besides opening a can ofcourse  :tu: (which i never ever do,unless w/ the electric one on my kitchen counter  :D :facepalm: )

I have never owned one..... but have breifly handled them at gun/knife shows locally ONLY :salute:
Paratroopers.jpg
* Paratroopers.jpg (Filesize: 266.14 KB)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:09:24 AM by cali-SAK-attack »
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:50 AM
COOL STORY!
Thanks for sharing!  :ahhh 8) :cheers:

?? QUESTION  :think:
What does the P-38 do for you.....that the other 2 cant do for you.....Besides opening a can ofcourse  :tu: (which i never ever do,unless w/ the electric one on my kitchen counter  :D :facepalm: )

I have never owned one..... but have breifly handled them at gun/knife shows locally ONLY :salute:

The P-38 is a sort of sentimental thing with me. It really opens cans great, makes a great little pry tool that opens cans of putty or small cans of paint, cleans out mud from boot treads, opens bottles, and does a lot. But this one was issued to me away back when we had C-rations, and I still carry it. It's just soooo light and compact, and it and the sear's keychain screw driver eliminates a whole layer from a larger SAK. The point on the P-38 can be used as an awl as well. It's so light and cheap, it's kind of why would you not carry one? It fits down in the wallet and goes unnoticed. Even by TSA airport security. With the inside edge sharpened, it cuts twine and string pretty good.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 08:02:03 AM
What I find pretty great is you sir are the one who started the Alox Forever thread.  I love the evolution and willingness to make changes.  I am finding myself doing a bit of both, evolving and changing things up. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 08:22:17 AM
I also prefer to carry a SAK that has the capability of opening a beer or a bottle of wine (most GOOD beer requires an opener, as most good wine requires a corkscrew)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 01:06:14 PM
What I find pretty great is you sir are the one who started the Alox Forever thread.  I love the evolution and willingness to make changes.  I am finding myself doing a bit of both, evolving and changing things up.
Yes I had spotted that one too - and noticed/was curious about the evolution !!   :tu:  ;)

Love your posts and musings as always CBL  :tu:  :)
- And as a backpacker and climber - minimalism (especially weight-wise) is always very important to me

The Classic, or more so Rambler, are incredbly capable - and often even have all the tools you (or at least I) miss on other MTs
ie For me it is more capable than some other multi-tools - eg with the tp/tw/scissors/nailfile 

However if I only carried a 58mm I would miss the sturdiness of the larger SAKs
- My current EDC is a 3 layer 85mm Wenger - Super Tinker equivalent
- So still pretty minimal - But a little larger than a Classic - and also, compared to a Vic, with that all important Wenger nailfile  :salute:

I was thinking about mountaineering trips recently, however.....
- And almost concluded that a Classic would  be all I needed !!
eg - If you are truly backpacking - You are not carrying cans of food, or beer bottles, that need opening.
And are unlikey to encounter screws and stuff that needs pliers or a monster knife.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:09:06 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 02:56:45 PM

That thread was started in 2014 when I was still living in Maryland. In 2015 we moved to Georgetown, Texas, and a almost completely different lifestyle. Way different climate, very different terrain, very different vegetation to deal with on outings. Now it's a retired life in a nice warm more arid climate with almost no winter, and vegetation like cactus and southwest type stuff. With grab change in living conditions, there was great change in what I now need to carry, or as in pocket knives, what I don't need to carry. I still have my old Wenger SI and pioneer, but they are on standby for the times we're going hiking or traveling. For my life in and around Georgetown, a 58mm does well and leaves room for other stuff I now need, that wasn't needed back on the east coast. If we had moved to Oregon the choice of pocket knife may have been different still.

Things change, and we have to change with them. If we don't adapt, then we become like the dinosaurs, and lack of change didn't go well for them.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:17:04 PM
After my last hike with the Book Scouts last weekend I found that 98% if what I needed done could have been accomplished with my P38 and my Classic or an Opinel.  My son and I were sure glad he had the same on his Hiker last summer though, but I agree completely.
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 09:57:22 PM
After my last hike with the Book Scouts last weekend I found that 98% if what I needed done could have been accomplished with my P38 and my Classic or an Opinel.  My son and I were sure glad he had the same on his Hiker last summer though, but I agree completely.

I don't know if I would go as far to go out in the boonies with just a 58mm, but for around town in my day to day life, yeah. The better half and I like to explore, and now here in Texas we a lot of new ground to expire. For woods walking I will add a compact sheath knife to my belt. My old Buck 102 woodsman is my go to fishing and camping knife. If I go to a larger knife, I like a fixed blade in the four inch range. One cultural difference I have noticed here in Texas vs our old home on the liberal east coast, is that nobody blinks at a fixed blade on the hip if in appropriate surrounding.

But since I am basically a city boy that just goes out tot he boonies for a while now and then, I find that little inch and a half blade on a 58m to be totally okay. I know Colin Fletcher and other well known backpackers use a classic for a knife, and that's okay. But to me, it's a town knife, to be augmented by a more appropriate knife when fishing or whatever. I don't like to use any kind of folder for food or gunky work. Just don't like the idea of bacteria breeding in hidden areas.

Of late, I've been using a Victorinox serrated paring knife with a plastic blade cover for a 'dirty deeds' knife like cutting bait or picnicking. Molded on handle and no hidden areas to clean. A wipe down with a paper towel and hand sanitizer and it's good to go. Not to mention that it's soooo light weight, that it goes totally un-noticed in the side pocket.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:31:09 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 10:58:39 PM
All that and just 1 picture!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00