Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Combo Tool Vs Victorinox Combo Tool

us Offline Danjo

Wenger Combo Tool Vs Victorinox Combo Tool
on: April 16, 2017, 07:23:13 AM
Here's my video review of the two:
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Re: Wenger Combo Tool Vs Victorinox Combo Tool
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:37:22 AM
Duplicate post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:44:52 AM by Mizedog »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 04:41:00 AM
Thanks Danjo! I totally agree that that Wenger Combo Tool  can be frustrating,  cause hot spots on the thumb, flex, bend, be less than effective on Philips screws.
 When I first got this Classic 62,  I couldn't make it work for opening cans.  The plastic scale seemed too wide and would knock the combo tool off the can.  But,  with some practice,  I found that the right grip (thumb over the top), it can open a can for me almost as easily as  a P38, but definitely quicker than a standard Victorinox forward biting can opener.  The only Vic combo tool I have is a rounded one on an old Waiter. It seems to work ok too.

I hope you don't mind me posting on your review thread. Just say the word,  and I'll remove my post.
Thanks

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:29:35 AM by Mizedog »

us Offline Danjo

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:00:46 AM
Thanks Danjo! I totally agree that that Wenger Combo Tool  can be frustrating,  cause hot spots on the thumb, flex, bend, be less than effective on Philips screws.
 When I first got this Classic 62,  I couldn't make it work for opening cans.  The plastic scale seemed too wide and would knock the combo tool off the can.  But,  with some practice,  I found that the right grip (thumb over the top), it can open a can for me almost as easily as  a P38, but definitely quicker than a standard Victorinox forward biting can opener.  The only Vic combo tool I have is a rounded one on an old Waiter. It seems to work ok too.

I hope you don't mind me posting on your review thread. Just say the word,  and I'll remove my post.
Thanks

Not at all, I was serious when asking for someone else to demonstrate if they could make the combo tool work.. Thanks for the complimentary video. At least now I see that it CAN work. I'm far faster than that with either the standard Vic or Wenger can opener, but now I have a technique to practice with the Wenger combo tool. I would still argue the superiority of the Vic combo tool design since it required zero previous practice to make it work for me, but at least now I don't feel like I have a worthless piece of metal on my Evo 63.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:39:02 AM

Thanks

Not at all, I was serious when asking for someone else to demonstrate if they could make the combo tool work.. Thanks for the complimentary video. At least now I see that it CAN work. I'm far faster than that with either the standard Vic or Wenger can opener, but now I have a technique to practice with the Wenger combo tool. I would still argue the superiority of the Vic combo tool design since it required zero previous practice to make it work for me, but at least now I don't feel like I have a worthless piece of metal on my Evo 63.

Just saw this.

Also did a follow up after claiming similar abilities between the combo tools in another video.  I didn't try the thumb on top method.  Must admit, Danjo, the Vic works better, but didn't have as much trouble with the Wenger

:cheers:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:45:11 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Danjo

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 09:15:57 AM
Right on, thanks! Good demo!

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:54:42 PM
El Corkscrew, I have to admit that my Vic Waiter is from the 80s, and has the rounded front plunging edge.  That may have made it a more even contest.  With that, the Vic was easier than the Wenger but the Wenger did just fine. I would definitely consider it a back up tool, not a daily use tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD