Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PAD Summer Challenge

Nix · 24 · 1722

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
SOG PAD Summer Challenge
on: June 15, 2018, 03:29:20 PM
I have a bad habit of making up my mind very quickly, perhaps even rashly. As a result, I have learned, to some extent, to be open to changing my mind. That's what this challenge is about.

My first impression of the SOG PAD was not good. Now, a week into a 30-day challenge, I'm starting to like the PAD a bit more, but still have serious reservations about it and, by extension, SOG, the company.

I find that the more I use a tool, the more I come to appreciate it and understand it. And some tools just need a longer break-in time. With this in mind, I'm going to do a longer challenge with the PAD in order to see if, with time and use, I come to appreciate it more.

Hence a "Summer Challenge".

I'm defining Summer slightly differently from the meteorologists; I'm using a functional period of time, rather than a true solstice to equinox reference frame. So, Summer starts now, 15 June and will run through 15 September.

I'll try to post a photo daily and include observations as I go. I have a couple of trips planned, some of which may not include internet access, so some photos may get uploaded retrospectively. This is an open challenge, and everyone is welcome to join in for all or part of the challenge. Any and all comments and feedback are welcome.

I hope you guys find this challenge interesting and/or useful, I'm sure I will.  :tu:

15 June:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: SOG PAD Summer Challenge
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:37:30 PM
Good one Nix :tu: :like: :like:
I will be watching with interest
I really hope that the PAD will be
something that you can get used to
I will hopefully get a chance to use and test
The PAD more in the summer
And would love to post pics and results
It just won’t be every day  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:39:11 PM
Post up when you can!   :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:41:09 PM
Will do  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:24:52 PM
so this will be its chance to Prove And Deliver what it's capable of  :facepalm: :D
I will watch closely!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:25:58 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 01:11:24 AM
16 June:

Inside most of the day. A cold and rainy day. I made mushroom soup to stave off the chill (and take advantage of the cool weather).  The SOG PAD got recruited for mushroom and onion prep work.  The PAD was great with the mushrooms, but with the onion it struggled a bit.

The obtuse angle of the primary edge of the main blade led to a 'wedging' effect when cutting through the onions. I also found that the PAD's plain blade wanted to wander a bit. Not a big deal. The onion got 'chopped' quite well in the end, and this is not the type of task the PAD was really designed for.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 01:54:45 AM
The results:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 03:39:20 AM
Posting, so this thread appears in my "replies" page. I am looking forward to seeing how you acclimate to the PAD, Nix.
It will be very interesting to see the long term retrospective, once your summer challenge is over.
Hopefully SOG can send a usable file your way.  :cheers:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 04:02:10 PM
mushrooms succumbed to the Power And Dedication of Nix wielding the tool,  :surrender:
and the resulting battlefield provided an excellent looking scenario  :hatsoff:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 04:04:37 PM
 :rofl:

Oh dear, this could be a prolonged and devolving summer.   :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 04:05:58 PM
:rofl:

Oh, dear, this could be a prolonged and devolving summer.   :facepalm:

Possibly And Definitely a thing that could happen  :D
My toys:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 04:10:29 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 04:16:57 PM
 :rofl: Y'all.

Obstinately, lets be serious, it is going to be a Provocative, Arduous, & Discerning summer-journey.  :dwts:

:facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 05:19:48 PM
:rofl: Y'all.

Obstinately, lets be serious, it is going to be a Provocative, Arduous, & Discerning summer-journey.  :dwts:

:facepalm:

but Nix is a patient and cool guy so he won't get Pissed And Distressed if the PAD can't do it all  :D
My toys:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 05:39:24 PM
Stop please stop  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 06:40:52 PM
17 June:

The SOG PAD: improving the world one coffee cup at a time.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 02:45:41 AM
My first impression of the SOG PAD was not good. . . . still have serious reservations about it and, by extension, SOG, the company.

I made up my mind about the PowerAccess Deluxe after about 30 seconds, and like you it was not good.  Super skinny blades (edge to spine dimension) that I could probably break off with my bare hands, a non-functioning "file" that you might find on Mattel play set, and tools that can deploy past 180 degrees do not instill confidence. I stated in the other Challenge thread that none of this is the tool's fault, but is the responsibility of SOG.  So this whole experience really caused SOG to lose some credibility.  Until proven otherwise, I don't take SOG seriously anymore, because they don't take seriously their responsibility to produce an MT of at least average utility.

Throw into the mix the reality that the Swisstool is only $13.50 more than the PowerAccess Deluxe on Amazon, and my grumpiness grows. For about the same money, more or less, Victorinox can design and manufacture what may be the class leader in the large MT genre, while it seems that SOG isn't really trying.  Its the lack of effort that gives me the grumpies.

In all fairness, the PAD does accomplish about 80% of what it is advertised to do.  The compound leverage pivot is one of the best inventions ever to find its way onto an MT, and the blades and drivers do their job.  I also appreciate the long shank phillips (though its offset shank might limit its usage in countersunk holes) and outside opening tools.  So the PAD is not terrible.  It just fell woefully short of what it could have been if SOG had tried to make this a solid MT.

You have taken quite a challenge here Nix, and I'll be watching.  Good luck!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 02:49:48 AM
Glad to have you looking over my shoulder, powernoodle.   :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 08:52:58 PM
18 June:

I should say, here in the beginning, that I'm running a parallel challenge with the PAD here: Access to Power. Check that thread for additional uses, findings, and thoughts.

I also should add that in addition to the PAD, I'm sporting a Victorinox Classic. This gives me a set of scissors and a nice small blade, as well as T&T. I added a lanyard and leash to the PAD so it wouldn't fall out of my pocket or into the water when fishing or hiking. I figure the best way to have a tool when you want one is to keep from losing it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 12:29:07 AM
19 June:

Well, this challenge has come to an abrupt end.

Please reference the Access to Power challenge for more details.

I have decided, with the help of SOG, to exchange my PowerAccess Deluxe for a Powerlock multitool more suitable for my needs and expectations. SOG has kindly proposed exchanging my PAD for a Powerlock, and I have accepted their offer.

I hope to start another challenge after receiving the SOG Powerlock. My expectations are high and I hope to have more to report in the future.

Thanks for checking in here; more to follow in a new thread!   :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 01:53:11 PM
well, sad but also good that you decided that.
It's a great tool and a classic from SOG, fun to play with, mod and use. Looking forward to your thoughts of it.  :salute:

and dang!  :facepalm: I just sent you a box this morning not having read this,  :ahhh otherwise I'd have sent you in it additional SOG tools (covers, blades, drivers, awls and files) for your future Powerlock!!  :rant: :oops:
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 03:08:11 PM
Thanks, El P. I appreciate the thought!

Let me get my hands on the tool first. Then I'll start wondering about mods...... :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 02:54:30 AM
My PAD got shipped off today. Hope that SOG makes the most of it.

SOG has said that a Powerlock is headed my way. Great customer service from SOG. I hope the new Powerlock is of better quality and fits my expectations and uses.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%