Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive question

Offline jesse79

• New User
Gerber Center Drive question
on: April 19, 2017, 07:24:03 PM
Hello all.
I'm new to the forums but have been doing a lot of reading posts trying to decide on my next EDC multi tool.

I currently have a SOG Power Assist that has been working fine for over 3 years. My reason for looking for a new tool is that I wanted a better screwdriver / philips experience. I did some research and was looking at both the Leatherman Surge and the Gerber Center Drive.

I picked up the drive last week to give it a go and while I like it, I have had some issues with the cutters. I tried to cut a Cat6 ethernet cable and to my surprise, the Gerber couldn't cut it. It took multiple tries to just get it to cut the cable and when it was finished, the cable was in pretty bad shape. I had other people try it and I tried different cables and every single time, it just didn't work.

Are these cutters not built for this type of work or do I have a defective Center Drive? I really like this tool but being that there are no other cutters on here like scissors, I may need to return this and go with the Surge.

Thanks for the help.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Gerber Center Drive question
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:45:34 PM
Welcome to :MTO: jesse :salute: I don't have a Center Drive so can't help you with this question but maybe someone that has one can answer your questions :salute: :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:28 PM
Welcome to the boards jesse.   :cheers:   Like Poncho I don't have a CD but I have tested some similar plier cutters over here.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:09:30 AM
I have a CD but do not have any CATx cable with me. When I am at the shop tomorrow I will check my CD on some cable. Hopefully this will not disqualify me on my MP600 challenge as I will still have my MP600 with me.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:12:57 AM
I think you'll get away with it.   ;)   :)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:11:32 AM
Gerber's carbide cutters are not very good. They'll cut soft wire forever, but anything hard and they tend to shatter. I know from experience. Not too sure regarding cat5, though

I've emailed Gerber several times suggesting they keep the indexable cutter idea, but use a resilient metal like 154cm in place of carbide. No reply :shrug:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 02:24:13 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I have a Center-Drive but no CAT-5 cable to test it on, although I have cut other wire with it and had no problems.

How is it they are not cutting?  Are they binding or gnawing?  Is the cable resisting them entirely? 

I would check to see if the cutters are lining up flush with each other both with and without cable in them to see if they are misaligned.  If they are binding up when you are cutting and the cutters seem aligned then it might be a problem with a loose plier head, which would absolutely be a warranty issue.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 04:19:33 AM
I seem to recall having trouble cutting Cat5 cable with the bypass cutters on a multitool but I just tried it with a LM Juice, SOG PPP, Vic Spirit, and LM Crunch and it worked fine in one cut. I can even cut it with a SOG CrossGrip and LM Squirt but it sometimes requires two bites because the length of cutting edge is so small. Don't have a Center Drive but I surmise Grant is right and the cutters aren't flush.

Offline jesse79

• New User
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 04:36:22 PM
Wow.
Thanks for all the responses. The cutters look aligned to me. I'll attach some pics so everyone can get the idea. Too bad this MT doesn't have any scissors. I'm really missing those right now.

IMG_0448.JPG
* IMG_0448.JPG (Filesize: 165.34 KB)
IMG_0449.JPG
* IMG_0449.JPG (Filesize: 238.42 KB)
IMG_0445.JPG
* IMG_0445.JPG (Filesize: 231.93 KB)
IMG_0444.JPG
* IMG_0444.JPG (Filesize: 207.65 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 04:57:19 PM
That is bizarre indeed.  I am not sure why that is happening?  They should be plenty sharp enough to cut it.  Have you tried taking two bites at it?  They seem like the wire is getting flattened and almost cut, but the stuff protruding front and back may be causing resistance?

Are the cutters themselves sharp?  Or are they defective?  Can you see any burrs, chips, cracks etc in them that might be keeping them from cutting all the way through?

I am going to dispense with asking what happens if you really bare down on them, since I am going to assume that, like all technicians I know, you have probably crushed it with everything you have and sworn at it a few times.

And yes, I agree completely about the scissors.  I think all multitools need to come with scissors, especially Gerbers, because they are owned by Fiskars, and they make some some excellent scissors.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 07:57:20 PM
 :think: :think: :think:

I just tried Vic 91mm scissors on Cat5 cable and while it does work I'm not sure I would want to use them for that purpose on a regular basis.

I think I would return that Center Drive.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:29 PM
Got a chance to use my CD on some CAT5e. No pix as it was a quick check, but it cut fine. Make sure the screws that hold the blades on are tight. I went to cut something with my MP600 and it wouldn't cut properly. I thought someing had happened to the cutters and was going to turn them to a new side. When I went to loosen the screws, they were already loose! So I tightened them up and it cut fine.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 10:40:11 PM
Be careful tightening them up, though. Too tight and they could shatter (happened to a coworker)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Offline jesse79

• New User
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 10:49:04 PM
I checked them and they were tight. I removed them and rotated them any ways and I'm getting the same result. I ordered the Leatherman Surge and will test that out on Monday.

I'll let everyone know how that worked out.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 12:13:33 AM
Better order the SwissTool Spirit as well...       :whistle:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:42 PM
Better order the SwissTool Spirit as well...       :whistle:

One regular and one X, just to be safe  :multi:

Offline jesse79

• New User
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 04:33:37 PM
Well the Leatherman arrive and it cut the Cat5 cable without issue. Those scissors are pretty heavy duty. I ordered the black oxide one. Any tips on how to best wipe off the excess oxide coating? It's rubbing off every time I handle it.

I got the nylon pouch which I like as it has some extra space for accessories or a flash light. I'm no 100% sure what I'm going to do yet. I honestly really like the Center Drive. I'm not a big fan of the Leatherman 2D bits or the bit extender. Someone I work with has them and I played around with them a bit. While they work, they just don't feel as nice as the standard bits do. Also, I didn't realize that while standard bits fit into the bit extender, they go down too far because it's made for the double sided 2D bits. Not to mention the bit kit and extender will run me around $45 so it's an extra cost where the Gerber came with the bits and its already extended.

This past weekend, I needed to do some light work at home and I needed an extension for a philips drive. I just pulled out my other bit kit, popped in a philips extension onto the center drive and it worked like a charm.

Like I said, I'm torn. I have until May 14th to decided if I'm going with the Leatherman Surge or the Gerber Center drive. That's my last return date.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 12:51:28 PM
The 2D bits are fine, but of course depends from the stuff you do with them. Nothing beats real bits thats for sure. I have always been torn between my Leatherman Wave and Gerber MP1 too, like you are with Surge and CD. Let us know what you decide.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!