Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Casio Triple Sensor SGW-1000 croaked. Won't revive.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Casio Triple Sensor SGW-1000 croaked. Won't revive.
on: April 21, 2017, 07:41:22 AM
  About a year ago I bought one of them budget-looking Pathfinder watches from Casio, the SGW-1000 [3439].

Was a terrific watch. It let me know of changing weather conditions when in the mountains when the the peaks & trees blocked my view for clues. It even altered me once won a camping trip that thunderstorms were coming. Sure enough, 15 minutes later the rain came, then the lightning. I got packed in time.
  Watch did great when I was working in remote locations and with out riding the Rover. However...

Woke up to a dead watch. Uses a CR-1616 battery. Went to Walmart, where I go for the 2nd PT job, got a new battery. Battery lasted maybe 5 minutes and was dead again. Went back to jewelry, put a new battery in myself. Die din 30 seconds. WTF :ahhh
  Went home, read up on this battery change from a downloaded manual. Battery checked out good, worked in another device, put in watch, and the battery was literally drained under a minute.
  Tried a semi-used battery laying around in another watch. Didn't screw the cover on, only had it setting by its weight and the watch ran good. Screwed the watch back on and the battery drained. WTF :ahhh

Next day went to Home Depot, bough 2 new batteries. SOS. I really like this watch but I'm not going to buy another one for $97 if it's going to croak in a year's time. This is nonsense. Is there any hope of bringing this watch back to life?!?

The compass & barometer comes is handy a lot. Used to have a smartphone that had these sensors in it before the phone started rejected the microSD card, now have nothing to alert me when I'm out riding the recumbent trike, and am planning on a mountain trail ride in a month.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:40:12 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Casio Triple Sensor SGW-1000 croaked. Won't revive.
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:22:16 AM
I can only suggest that if it's 12 months old it should be covered by warranty.  Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:45:35 AM
  Unfortunately the watch croaked just outside the 1 year warranty, almost like it was programmed to do so. :twak:

Battery was supposed to last 2 years, but no one knows when it was actually shipped once created and could of been in the warehouse for a year. Keep hoping to find another at a good price. Wanted a solar one but those Casio watches with the rechargeable batteries only last 3 years anyhow, not the 8 that is claimed. Have a basic solar watch and it still works, but it needs to be in the sun for 6 hours to keep basic functions going. Nothing lasts as long as the manual claims.
  Think am going to give up on Casio and go back to Timex. I can't see throwing away $100 every year on a watch.

Had hoped the gurus here knew of some special technique to recover stubborn watches.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:48:11 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:42:54 AM
Some casios have one or two points marked "AC" on the movement. These are to reset the movement after a battery change. You don't always need to do it but sometimes you do.

If it's got them try shorting them out first (after fitting the new cell).
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:43:21 AM
  Tried that, and many times before. It keeps draining batteries. Time to toss it and look for a replacement watch that has a compass & barometer. Any suggestions?
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 02:32:18 PM
That is really unfortunate. And a little suspect, try Casio and see what they say - a good will repair, cry if you have to!!!

Look for a PRG-80, I think it may have a different number for the 'States. I have had mine now for over 10 years and it still works flawless. It has been on mountain bikes, motorbikes and various outdoor activities and has not missed a beat. At some stage I may replace the solar battery, my PRG-50 started playing up after 15 years. Casio got it sorted in no time and it has been perfect since. If you can find the Ti model even better.

Pete
PRG-80.JPG
* PRG-80.JPG (Filesize: 141.84 KB)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:37:26 PM by pietervn »

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 07:45:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your SGW-1000.  I have a blue one myself.  If I use the barometer or start jumping from altimeter to compass, I end up getting a low battery signal.

Based on the activities you mentioned, maybe you can try getting a Rangeman?  It costs double the price but the solar battery can make up for the battery drain problem that makes the SGW-1000 croak. 

A Protrek like PRW-3500 would also get the job done.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 01:30:18 PM
  About a year ago I bought one of them budget-looking Pathfinder watches from Casio, the SGW-1000 [3439].

Was a terrific watch. It let me know of changing weather conditions when in the mountains when the the peaks & trees blocked my view for clues. It even altered me once won a camping trip that thunderstorms were coming. Sure enough, 15 minutes later the rain came, then the lightning. I got packed in time.
  Watch did great when I was working in remote locations and with out riding the Rover. However...

Woke up to a dead watch. Uses a CR-1616 battery. Went to Walmart, where I go for the 2nd PT job, got a new battery. Battery lasted maybe 5 minutes and was dead again. Went back to jewelry, put a new battery in myself. Die din 30 seconds. WTF :ahhh
  Went home, read up on this battery change from a downloaded manual. Battery checked out good, worked in another device, put in watch, and the battery was literally drained under a minute.
  Tried a semi-used battery laying around in another watch. Didn't screw the cover on, only had it setting by its weight and the watch ran good. Screwed the watch back on and the battery drained. WTF :ahhh

Next day went to Home Depot, bough 2 new batteries. SOS. I really like this watch but I'm not going to buy another one for $97 if it's going to croak in a year's time. This is nonsense. Is there any hope of bringing this watch back to life?!?

The compass & barometer comes is handy a lot. Used to have a smartphone that had these sensors in it before the phone started rejected the microSD card, now have nothing to alert me when I'm out riding the recumbent trike, and am planning on a mountain trail ride in a month.

Haven't been around for a while (and dunno whether I'm back yet or not lol, still attempting to establish a life) but what you describe there sounds like a shorting issue to me. You say the battery drains in 30 seconds when the cover is screwed on and this does not happen when there is no cover sitting on the battery. If I were you (and if the watch is still around) I'd check the o-ring seal(s) and any dents/bulges on the cover that may be causing a short circuit by touching the battery or any other metal part it should not be touching. Or maybe the battery socket is somehow faulty and causing this short-curcuit?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%