Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Cycling Thread

AlephZero · 237 · 14243

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: The Cycling Thread
Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 07:25:44 PM
Bike lights sure have come a long way the last few years. They'll see you coming with that one

Yup, they sure will and more importantly, I will see where I'm going :D

Although there's quite good street lighting on my commute route, so I doubt I will need the higher modes on my commute...

:cheers:

Ride safe, ride smart, have fun!
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 08:32:43 PM
So, since Photobucket stole my photos (and they can go eat smurf), I'll repost some of the photos here...

Cube Reaction Hybrid ONE 400:

I do have some improvements on the bike, but I have to fix some things before new photos ;D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 08:34:42 PM
And the pics of Fenix BC30R as well:

"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 04:40:16 PM
Um yes, the handlebars of my E-bike are getting a lil crowded...

From bottom to the top:
Ergon GP2 grips
Bosch Intuvia E-bike control unit
Rixen & Kaul Klickfix BottleKlick with Topeak Modula 2 and Bottle
Knog Oi! Bike Bell
Rixen & Kaul Klickfix Handebar adapter for E-bikes with Mini Basket
Bosch Intuvia E-bike display unit
Fenix BC330R Rechargeable Bike Light with the Burst Light button between the grip and gear shifter

"Hoarder of weirdness,

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:10 PM
I've had 3 years and some 9000km on e-bikes. The folding models in my case. Jerusalem is incredibly hilly and it's a great tool. My current bike has a 48V battery in it, no 25km/h limiter and a thumb throttle which is nice (though somewhat illegal). I've had to give them up for the moment due to health issues and am now commuting using a car :( My battery is 13.5 amp which will give me about 40km distance due to the hills. Unfortunately battery life drops linearly from my experience and 3 separate batteries so that after a year of constant use it will give only 60% of the charge that it once had even though the battery is rated for about two years worth of charges.

My biggest problem with these bikes is that the are mostly not built to handle the power on the road, at least not the ones I've had. The brakes and tires are too small, suspension not sufficient and when you are keeping up with road traffic at 50km/h, indicators and brake lights become a must as well as a good set of mirrors. I'd also question bike helmets protection at those speeds. I've fallen off a few times during those 3 years and with narrow lanes and almost no bike lanes in this country, commuting at that speed and without proper equipment is a real worry, a fractured knee was the last result of a fall (the one time I didn't put knee guards on!) and I've had to replace 3 helmets. Recent models released here are equipped with (much) wider tires, have dual hydraulic disk brakes, a brake/indicator light system and dual mirrors as standard.

I'd like to build a 'proper' e-bike one day for myself. Based on a mountain bike system with a mid drive system and with all the extras I believe are needed. One day. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:34:19 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 07:19:37 PM
I've had 3 years and some 9000km on e-bikes. The folding models in my case. Jerusalem is incredibly hilly and it's a great tool. My current bike has a 48V battery in it, no 25km/h limiter and a thumb throttle which is nice (though somewhat illegal). I've had to give them up for the moment due to health issues and am now commuting using a car :( My battery is 13.5 amp which will give me about 40km distance due to the hills. Unfortunately battery life drops linearly from my experience and 3 separate batteries so that after a year of constant use it will give only 60% of the charge that it once had even though the battery is rated for about two years worth of charges.

My biggest problem with these bikes is that the are mostly not built to handle the power on the road, at least not the ones I've had. The brakes and tires are too small, suspension not sufficient and when you are keeping up with road traffic at 50km/h, indicators and brake lights become a must as well as a good set of mirrors. I'd also question bike helmets protection at those speeds. I've fallen off a few times during those 3 years and with narrow lanes and almost no bike lanes in this country, commuting at that speed and without proper equipment is a real worry, a fractured knee was the last result of a fall (the one time I didn't put knee guards on!) and I've had to replace 3 helmets. Recent models released here are equipped with (much) wider tires, have dual hydraulic disk brakes, a brake/indicator light system and dual mirrors as standard.

I'd like to build a 'proper' e-bike one day for myself. Based on a mountain bike system with a mid drive system and with all the extras I believe are needed. One day. :)

Those 50km/h E-bikes need to be registered as mopeds here, and are mostly not allowed ride on what we call "light traffic lanes", which are meant for pedestrians and bicycles, also you will need a proper motorcycle helmet.

I'm quite happy with the 25 km/h limit, the E-bike still cut my commute time in half, and I specifically wanted a quality factory built bike with Bosch motor and battery for longevity. Not cheap, but as they say, you get what you pay for :)

I ride about 2500+ km a year just for my commute, all year around, sometimes in 15 cm of snow in the winter, which is where the E.bike will help the most :)

Edit: No disrespect to your bikes at all, I've not ridden them so I wouldn't know :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:23:11 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:52 PM

Those 50km/h E-bikes need to be registered as mopeds here, and are mostly not allowed ride on what we call "light traffic lanes", which are meant for pedestrians and bicycles, also you will need a proper motorcycle helmet.

I'm quite happy with the 25 km/h limit, the E-bike still cut my commute time in half, and I specifically wanted a quality factory built bike with Bosch motor and battery for longevity. Not cheap, but as they say, you get what you pay for :)

I ride about 2500+ km a year just for my commute, all year around, sometimes in 15 cm of snow in the winter, which is where the E.bike will help the most :)

Edit: No disrespect to your bikes at all, I've not ridden them so I wouldn't know :D

I'm amazed at you riding in the snow! The bikes here with their thin tires are treacherous enough just in rain. That's what fractured my knee. First rain of the year, wet and slick with a years worth of oil from the road. My bike can't do 50km/h on it's own but on a flat and with my pedalling, it's quite easy to get to. Heck I keep the power on 3/5, full power scares the heck out of me. :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:34 PM

I'm amazed at you riding in the snow! The bikes here with their thin tires are treacherous enough just in rain. That's what fractured my knee. First rain of the year, wet and slick with a years worth of oil from the road. My bike can't do 50km/h on it's own but on a flat and with my pedalling, it's quite easy to get to. Heck I keep the power on 3/5, full power scares the heck out of me. :)

That's why we have 2.25 inch studded winter tires for, riding on snow and ice (around 400 studs on Schwalbe 29" Ice Spiker Pro's). Also my summer tires are Schwalbe 2.35" tires, no problems in the rain.

PS: I actually went 49.5 km/h today on a steep downhill, it gets quite scary...  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:50:55 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 07:57:18 PM

That's why we have 2.25 inch studded winter tires for, riding on snow and ice (around 400 studs on Schwalbe 29" Ice Spiker Pro's). Also my summer tires are Schwalbe 2.35" tires, no problems in the rain.

PS: I actually went 49.5 km/h today on a steep downhill, it gets quite scary...  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Try doing 65km/h downhill on 20" thin tires. Yikes!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:41 AM
The dark season is coming, which means I need to be seen while I bike to work.

So... I installed a few reflectors on the E-bike...  ;)

A Cateye front reflector on the basket, held on by a screw:

Couple of Busch & Muller red rear reflectors, zip tie installation:

And four Busch & Muller spoke reflectors (those were just click in types):

If you ride in the dark, make sure you will be seen too!

"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 10:36:55 AM
Probably next month I will buy the winter tires for the E-bike...

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Performance:

400+ studs on each tire...

I've been using these for years, and they are extremely grippy on ice, on snow and decent on bare asphalt (except of the noise they make on it)

As far as I know, these are the BEST winter tires in existence :tu:

"Hoarder of weirdness,

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 01:24:22 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I've been using these for years, and they are extremely grippy on ice, on snow and decent on bare asphalt (except of the noise they make on it)

Those look incredible!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 07:24:12 PM

Those look incredible!

They don't only look incredible, they are... Quite a few times I've thought "ok it wasn't all that slippery today" only to step off the bike and have my shoes slip on the ice :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:07 AM

Those look incredible!

They don't only look incredible, they are... Quite a few times I've thought "ok it wasn't all that slippery today" only to step off the bike and have my shoes slip on the ice :D

Have you got any suggestions for really grippy tires for rain and general oily roads?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:34 AM
Have you got any suggestions for really grippy tires for rain and general oily roads?

What size wheels/tyres?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 08:23:56 PM

What size wheels/tyres?
Currently 20".

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 11:02:02 AM
What's the ETRTO number (something like 37-406) on the side of the tyre, and what have you got on there at the moment?  There are a few different 20" sizes out there - the 406 is the most common I think.  You don't need tread on tarmac, and nothing will grip on oil.  Schwalbe will probably make something suitable - Marathon, Marathon Racer or Kojak, depending on what width you can fit in your frame.  I like Panaracer - they make the Minits and Pasela that look like they will work.  Or Continental Contact/Contact Speed.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 11:42:58 AM
I'll have to check, the bikes in work at the moment and I won't be back there till Sunday.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 04:06:13 PM
My recommendation would be wither Schwalbe Marathon Plus (nice pretty much indestructible tire) or Schwalbe Big Apple (nice cushiony ride)

Both with quite minimal pattern, since basicly a slick tire would be optimal on tarmac, just different in which one is more important to you,
durability or ride comfortability :)

That said, it's all depending how wide tire your bike takes...

Few are shown in here, just choose the right tire size

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:08:21 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 03, 2017, 08:24:27 AM
My recommendation would be wither Schwalbe Marathon Plus (nice pretty much indestructible tire) or Schwalbe Big Apple (nice cushiony ride)

Both with quite minimal pattern, since basicly a slick tire would be optimal on tarmac, just different in which one is more important to you,

That Marathon Plus does look really good. Thanks!

Although a slick tire is good on tarmac, I'm specifically looking for one which will grip the road in rain. I know treads won't make a huge difference for that but is there other technology which might help?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 08:42:19 AM
What's the ETRTO number (something like 37-406) on the side of the tyre, and what have you got on there at the moment?  There are a few different 20" sizes out there - the 406 is the most common I think.  You don't need tread on tarmac, and nothing will grip on oil.  Schwalbe will probably make something suitable - Marathon, Marathon Racer or Kojak, depending on what width you can fit in your frame.  I like Panaracer - they make the Minits and Pasela that look like they will work.  Or Continental Contact/Contact Speed.

57-406. Rather wider than the usual. Schwalbe don't have anything in it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:43:24 AM by pomsbz »

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 09:45:44 AM

Although a slick tire is good on tarmac, I'm specifically looking for one which will grip the road in rain. I know treads won't make a huge difference for that but is there other technology which might help?

Not that I've heard of, but at normal cycling speeds (and e-bike speeds) wet tarmac should not be an issue.

Linking an article by Sheldon Brown, the patron saint of all cyclists: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

There you should have all the information you need, check the rest of his site as well, there is vast loads of bicycle information.

"Hoarder of weirdness,

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 12:04:48 PM
Unless you really need the total puncture proofing, if Street clear of the Marathon Plus. Too heavy, too slow.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #53 on: September 03, 2017, 12:08:23 PM
My favourite bike:

:D

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 02:24:41 PM
Slick, very slick! :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: September 03, 2017, 04:22:53 PM
Unless you really need the total puncture proofing, if Street clear of the Marathon Plus. Too heavy, too slow.
Keep in mind that I've travelling up to 50km/h. That's about 30mph. It's one of the only one Schwalbe recommend for motors that go up to that speed from their own line. Not that they have them in the correct size so it's rather academic :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:26:05 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 03, 2017, 04:25:28 PM

Not that I've heard of, but at normal cycling speeds (and e-bike speeds) wet tarmac should not be an issue.

Linking an article by Sheldon Brown, the patron saint of all cyclists: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

There you should have all the information you need, check the rest of his site as well, there is vast loads of bicycle information.

Thanks for the link! Reading it now.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 12:05:41 PM
Keep in mind that I've travelling up to 50km/h. That's about 30mph. It's one of the only one Schwalbe recommend for motors that go up to that speed from their own line. Not that they have them in the correct size so it's rather academic :D

Also the weight of the tire is kind of non issue when you have an e-bike :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 12:13:26 PM
I know nothing about motorbikes. ;)

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #59 on: September 07, 2017, 08:10:26 PM
It's getting a bit rainy over here in Finland as the fall descends upon us, so one needs a bit of rain gear...

So here are some of mine (and while all of them are sold by Varusteleka, I am not by all means affiliated by then, just a happy customer)

Mil-Tec US Model Rain Poncho, Ripstop Nylon

British MVP Rain Jacket, Desert DPM

British MVP Rain Trousers, Desert DPM

And yeah, some of you UK lads may be familiar with the latter two ;)

In any case, I'm just saying, Mother Nature... Bring it ON! ;)

"Hoarder of weirdness,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85