Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Cycling Thread

AlephZero · 237 · 14082

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: The Cycling Thread
Reply #60 on: September 07, 2017, 08:30:39 PM
I wear this:

http://www.blackrockworkwear.com/high-visibility/hi-vis-jackets/120-high-visibility-coat

and this:

http://www.blackrockworkwear.com/high-visibility/hi-vis-trousers/25-high-visibility-overtrousers

Nope, it's not bike wear at all but it's utterly impervious to the incredible rainfalls that come so suddenly here. From sunny and bright to the road being 15cm deep under water in just 10-15 minutes. Keeping in mind also that an electric bike does not quite require the weight and movement considerations of a push pedal bike. The coat is particularly comfortable, warm and tough. I barely wear a regular coat any more. Most of all, on a bike in conditions like that, being seen is unbelievably important. Especially in a middle eastern country where wet driving is far from the particular expertise of the drivers, unlike in northern Europe where I learnt to drive and gained my experience.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: September 08, 2017, 03:19:42 PM
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #62 on: September 08, 2017, 04:13:44 PM
 :facepalm:

:rofl:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: September 16, 2017, 03:32:38 PM
Anybody here ride a road bike with disc brakes? I'm thinking about making the move to one..  :cheers:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #64 on: September 16, 2017, 05:58:55 PM
Not riding a road bike, but disc brakes are always a good idea :tu:

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: September 17, 2017, 02:08:05 AM
+1 A lot nicer than brake pads, especially if you like to kick the back end out for a drift stop! :D
DSCN3124.JPG
* DSCN3124.JPG (Filesize: 273.08 KB)
Send In the spartans

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #66 on: September 17, 2017, 07:10:47 AM
All my bikes have disc brakes and they're great, but I reckon my next one will probably have rim brakes.  Really it depends what you want to do with it - for all year round use, in bad weather, with heavy loads or off road they make sense.  But for a fast, light, summer bike rim brakes might be best.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:43 PM

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #68 on: September 30, 2017, 06:38:55 AM
Found the youtube version, so it gets embedded instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5nZn9ogjtU

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #69 on: September 30, 2017, 04:13:47 PM
 :salute: :tu: :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #70 on: October 13, 2017, 12:59:32 PM
Stuffed my bike into the verge on the way into work this morning. :ahhh  Lost the front wheel on a wet and slippy corner, landed on my hip and slid across the road on my side.  Fortunately it was a quiet lane but I didn't feel up for riding the rest of the way into work so turned round and went home.  Finding it tough to sit down comfortably now. :(

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: October 13, 2017, 02:38:30 PM
Stuffed my bike into the verge on the way into work this morning. :ahhh  Lost the front wheel on a wet and slippy corner, landed on my hip and slid across the road on my side.  Fortunately it was a quiet lane but I didn't feel up for riding the rest of the way into work so turned round and went home.  Finding it tough to sit down comfortably now. :(

Bike ok? Hope you get yourself fixed soon!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #72 on: October 13, 2017, 04:22:36 PM
Bike ok?
Ha, that was my first thought too. :D  Just a scratched brake lever and pedal, and some ripped bar tape.

Feeling stiff now but vitamin I is working wonders. :salute:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #73 on: October 21, 2017, 10:42:41 AM
It's getting that time of year again, my fellow cyclists, so...

Make sure you are seen wherever you may ride!

Ride safe, ride smart, have fun!
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #74 on: October 21, 2017, 10:47:56 AM
As a side note, I got me a new floor pump: Topeak Joe Blow Mountain...

Specifically meant for large tires, it has an oversize cylinder for that extra air volume, up to 5 bar/75psi pressure
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: October 21, 2017, 05:43:56 PM
That is a nice looking pump. A few years back, I needed a new pump and went to the bike shop and asked what they use on the floor. They showed me and I bought it. Probably 8 years later, it is still trucking along..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #76 on: January 17, 2018, 08:33:27 PM
I took a fall couple weeks back (curse that damned slush) I think there's still a hole of my shape on the snowbank beside the road (I was really lucky to fall on the soft snow instead of the hard road surface)

Ride safe, ride smart, have fun!
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #77 on: April 21, 2018, 09:16:14 AM
I guess it's about the start of the "Cycling Season"...  ::)

All my fellow cyclists, let's bring back this thread, and share all bike related things!  :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #78 on: April 21, 2018, 09:18:38 AM
I swapped the summer tires on the bike couple weeks ago, and boy is there a difference...

Seriously, the bike almost rolls on its own now, the battery lasts almost twice as long, and riding is fun again  :pok:

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #79 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:26 PM
My new bicycle is a vintage Gazelle (Dutch made in 1978). It´ll last another 40 years if I take care of it. This is their last model done with steel frame, wheels, and ball bearings, with later models including more and more parts made of aluminium and Teflon. The bicycle is heavy, but smooth as a Rolls Royce. I´ve been riding it for 4 weeks now, over 100km per week and I love it. The ding dong bell is new.
DSC00294-fiets-25.jpg
* DSC00294-fiets-25.jpg (Filesize: 425.31 KB)
DSC00295-fietsbel-25.jpg
* DSC00295-fietsbel-25.jpg (Filesize: 280.12 KB)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:33:28 PM by Ron Who »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #80 on: May 03, 2018, 12:05:54 PM
That's a lovely bike Ron!  :cheers: Very apt bell too. Make yourself heard with it  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #81 on: May 03, 2018, 05:54:11 PM
Thanks Mags. What I like best is the ancient brake system. Drums with steel levers, no cables. The brakes are synced too.  8) 8) 8)
Also: Sturmey Archer 3-speed and oil bath chain guard. The bike needs little maintenance and is a great for daily commuting.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:05:22 PM by Ron Who »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: May 03, 2018, 06:14:23 PM
Thanks Mags. What I like best is the ancient brake system. Drums with steel levers, no cables. The brakes are synced too.  8) 8) 8)
Also: Sturmey Archer 3-speed and oil bath chain guard. The bike needs little maintenance and is a great for daily commuting.

It's probably thief proof also. Who would choose that bike over the latest multicoloured funky wonder?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #83 on: May 03, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

It's probably thief proof also. Who would choose that bike over the latest multicoloured funky wonder?

People like me. There aren´t many  :D

The best thing is I got this bike for free and needed only E 50 to get it back in like new condition.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: May 03, 2018, 07:17:28 PM

The best thing is I got this bike for free and needed only E 50 to get it back in like new condition.

As I get ready to pull the plug on a $3000 recumbent trike, stories like that make me cry.  :rofl:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #85 on: May 03, 2018, 07:29:49 PM

Classic stuff! Awesome bike, Ron! :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #86 on: May 03, 2018, 07:31:40 PM

As I get ready to pull the plug on a $3000 recumbent trike, stories like that make me cry.  :rofl:

As an owner of 2000e+ E-bike, I kinda get that, but then again, I couldn't ride that one over here, I'm too out of shape... We have hills you know  ::)
"Hoarder of weirdness,

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #87 on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:02 PM

I saw the pic in your thread. If that´s what you need to move around, go for it !

I got mine through sheer luck. I was going to buy a new one and had the money ready too when it was gifted to me.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #88 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:29 PM
BTW I got my first bicycle as my sixth anniversary birthday present, and I´ve been riding bicycles ever since. Classics, ATBs, racers, you name it. Next August 18th is my 56th birthday; I can´t even begin to guess how many miles I pedalled away in 50 years.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:00:45 PM by Ron Who »

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #89 on: May 03, 2018, 08:23:42 PM
BTW I got my first bicycle as my sixth anniversary birthday present, and I´ve been riding bicycles ever since. Classics, ATBs, racers, you name it. Next August 18th is my 56th birthday; I can´t even begin to guess how many miles I pedalled away in 50 years.

I just got the first anniversary on my E-bike, 3145km in the first year  :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24