Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Good Pairing with Vic Executive​?

us Offline this_is_nascar

Good Pairing with Vic Executive​?
on: April 23, 2017, 02:06:06 PM
I've been carrying an Executive since I can remember.  I enjoy its size and tools, however, sometimes I desire a larger blade.  I'm going to stop carrying folders like Spyderco, etc, as my daily routine never requires such a tool.

I'm looking for something to compliment my Executive, without adding too much redundantcy of tools.  I already own a couple Cadets and Bantams.  I was thinking one of those may be a good choice.

What are your suggestions?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Good Pairing with Vic Executive​?
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 02:15:24 PM
Either a cadet or bantam would be good.  :tu:
If you want 91mm, maybe Spartan(or Tinker) or Camper(or Super Tinker) etc.
It all depends on what you want and need.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 02:54:19 PM
If you like the Bantam, why not a Waiter? It adds a corkscrew which is pretty useful and you can get an eyeglass driver for it.

And if a Waiter looks interesting, how about a Compact?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 03:24:00 PM
How about a nice traditional folder.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:33:45 PM
I personally wouldnt stop carrying a locking folder or fixed blade because you mever know what emergency may happen and require one, but that is your decision for sure so no judgement here. I like the executive very much as well, but it does lack in the driver category. I think I would pair it with a tinker if i was going for functionality. A traditional knife if i was going for looks and cool factor. Maybe the best of both worlds with a scout knife!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:06:21 PM
I carried an Executive for years as well and sometimes miss it but moved to a bigger SAK last year ::) I always paired it with a MT so can't help you other than that :facepalm: :D Still can't wait to see what you decide though :tu: :popcorn:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 04:53:58 PM
Bantam/Waiter/Executive = the three coffee gents

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 05:28:56 PM
I think the bantam or waiter would be a perfect partner. It gives you the screw driver tool capability, and bottle opening, and the waiter would give you the small eye glass screw driver. The exec teamed up with a waiter would give you some very good real world use. Most small emergencies I've run into, a few basic tools have go the out of many jams. The one single time I really needed a knife for an emergency, the 1 3/4 inch sheep foot blade on a Buck stockman cut the seatbelt of a buying old Datsun.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:38:25 AM
I carry a Executive and a Super Tinker. The former mostly for the hook, as I have the scissors on the executive. If you don't need that, go Spartan/Tinker or Compact/Yeoman

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 11:57:31 AM
I carry a Executive and a Super Tinker. The former mostly for the hook, as I have the scissors on the executive. If you don't need that, go Spartan/Tinker or Compact/Yeoman

The hook is the best, isn't it?  :climber:
Now if I had the hook on the same layer as the saw...  :gimme:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 12:03:39 PM
Why not go for a Vic Harvester? Very little tool duplication there, and you get a lightweight, but very different knife. 93 mm alox would in general pair very well with the Executive, I think.

it Offline Mini

Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 02:08:18 PM
Well, it's not a sak, but in the last days I have carried an Executive and a Buck 759. So I have added the bottle opener and a little lockable blade, in a quite little size.

Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 03:18:24 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I'm trying to keep it small, lightweight and as inconspicuous as possible.

I currently own Cadets, Recruits and Bantams, so I'll probably decide from one of those.  I also have a Pioneer and Pioneer-X, but the size and weight of those are just too much for me.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 06:35:35 PM
What I find I miss when I carry my Executive is the can opener.  I also feel its light on drivers.  I'd suggest go with an 84mm Tinker.  It offers the can opener and bottle opener both drivers on those tools are great.  It also has Phillips and awl which are also great.  You get 2 more blades as well.  The Executive features some neat tools so duplication will be mostly blades. 

I'll offer up a couple more ideas.  I find that when I need a blade a bit "stronger" than the Executive or any SAK for that matter I like a lockback.  I have an Al Mar so for me its a no brainer.  I've also carried my Opinel #8 tho a #6 would also work. 

Someone mentioned a traditional folder.  I have a Texas Toothpick from CRKT but....   I also have this BuckCreek with two blades which can work but.....   

I've often wanted to try a smaller Spyderco like lady bug or something along those lines.

Lastly I'll add that I do at times pair mine with a Cadet2 which is not bad at all.  Sorry no pic.   

IMG_2780.JPG
* IMG_2780.JPG (Filesize: 248.78 KB)
IMG_2781.JPG
* IMG_2781.JPG (Filesize: 167.48 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:07:03 AM

Wish the Spartan had the hook in place of the awl... That thing is so awlfully useless, the hook is much better.
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 08:02:12 PM
Based on my current EDC needs and some trial and error, I think I'm moving forward with an Executive/Solo EDC combo, with a Classic on my keyring.

These SAKs, coupled with a few other tools I keep on my keyring, will handle 99% of my daily requirements.

That being said, I'll be putting up the majority of my remaining SAK collection for sale, in a separate thread.  I'm no longer in a position to collect gadgets that I'm not actually using.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:54 PM

Wish the Spartan had the hook in place of the awl... That thing is so awlfully useless, the hook is much better.

Well to each it's own... I think exactly the opposite, the awl is a must have and highly useful to me, so i would say i which the Compact had an awl instead of the hook  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:10:12 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%