Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Pens

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
My Pens
on: April 24, 2017, 05:53:13 PM
We have a lot of threads dedicated to pens so I thought I would break down a few of mine in a fancy pictorial, you know, because I'm cool like that.  Also, because I have just listed a few in the MTO Store, and it is a good enough premise for a little bit of spamming.  :D

I'll start with the CRKT Elishewitz designed Tao Pen, largely because I've already done some write ups on it both here and again here when I'd forgotten that I'd already done a pictorial on it.   :facepalm:

Since I wrote so much about it in previous threads, I'll quickly bang through this one.

It rarely, if ever sees any use.  I tried using it a few times in the early days but I find it a bit top heavy, and, since it is more of a collectable than anything else I have just used it as such.  It does however come with a Fisher refill, marked specifically for use with CRKT pens, which is pretty cool.  I know, it's probably something Fisher does for everyone that orders 10,000 or more cartridges, but I still think it's cool.  :D

All in all, not a bad pen, but I'm not sure it's what I would reach for if someone was trying to mug me.

Next up is a Cross Pen:

I really liked this one at first.  I originally got it to replace my trusty old Fisher Bullet that was lost in the line of duty after many years of faithful service.  I liked that pen a lot, but I thought I might change it up a bit when getting a replacement, so I grabbed this.  At the time I was mostly using pens for making notes in the field, and this is absolutely not a bad weather, notes in the field  type pen.  It is a really nice office or desk pen, or even a "keep in your pocket or bag to write quickly on a napkin or business card at a restaurant pen" but it fails greatly as an "in the field" pen.  This is because the ink freezes in the cold, runs in the wet and the barrel cannot be twisted while wearing gloves in either situation.

But don't let that stop you- as an indoor pen this Cross model is quite slick and feels very well put together.  I think it was around $30 at Staples, and it came with a couple of extra stylus tips, which is good because mine appears to be cracking and I don't expect it to last much longer.  Not that I can recall where the extra tips are, but they may be available for purchase from Cross.

It is a very nice pen and, if you aren't planning to use it outdoors in bad weather, it will serve you very well, and is well worth the price tag in my opinion.

Now on to what I consider to be the standard for all pens, the Fisher Bullet.

This is the replacement for the one I lost.  I carried it faithfully in my work vest no matter the weather and it was always ready to go.  I probably ran through more ink cartridges in that one pen than I have in all the other pens I have owned in my life combined.  It was a sad day when I reached for it and it was no longer there.  As it was more bother than it was worth to replace the cap every time I used it, I generally just put it away with the ball point extended.  Yes, that meant it left little black marks on my vest, but it was a work vest, and was replaced often enough that I really didn't care.  Plus I worked in some dirty places, and to be honest, a few black marks from a pen were the least of my worries!

Eventually, after a few years of being exposed to a variety of humidities, weather, temperatures and a number of chemicals, the lid became seized on in the open position, and nothing I could do seemed to be able to dislodge it, but I didn't care.  It was as faithful as a sunrise, and when it was gone I tried others, but eventually got the one you see pictured here after being disappointed with everything else.

It is the same color/model/finish as the one that went missing because by the time I got around to getting this one I was sick of experimenting with anything different.  At around $30 it was the same price as the Cross above, but I would buy these all day long before getting into just about anything else.

That having been said, this next one is another bit of a rerun as I have talked about it before.  It is my Custom Titanium Pen made by a good friend to promote his company.  I won't go into it's details again because it's all in the link above, but I will say that it is about the only pen I have that could take on the Fisher Bullet for carry and use.

The drawbacks to this pen are that it is one of a kind and irreplaceable (at least to me), and that it doesn't have a Fisher cartridge inside, which, as a giveaway/marketing expense for the manufacturer is understandable.  I guarantee you that when this cartridge runs dry I will replace it with a Fisher cartridge.

What I like about it, taking the pen at face value and removing the attachment I have because it was a gift, is that it is just as tough, just as solid as any tactical pen I have ever held, and no doubt just as capable, and yet it is a normal pen, no heavier than a regular pen, and not uncomfortable to use.  It is elegant and tough, like if Bentley manufactured a luxury tank.

But then if you read the earlier thread, you know all about this titanium beauty, and you also know that I mentioned another pen from this same friend that I had gotten years earlier, but I don't think I ever posted photos of it. 

[jeremy clarkson voice]Until now....[/jeremy clarkson voice]

This one is aluminum and is everything the other pen isn't.  The top is anodized in a bright red, although I am told at the time they also did blue and green tops as well.  On the far side is the company logo and info laser engraved into it, but in the interest of his privacy I have kept it turned away from the camera. 

Unlike the understated elegance of the titanium pen, this one is bold and flashy, and I can't help but think it would be the same even for the blue and green capped ones.  The cap, by the way, fits on smoothly and perfectly, as if it was made to go on.... which of course it was.   :pok:

In fact, the whole thing fits together very snugly and very well, in a way that only master machinists can do, which of course makes it a perfect method to advertise a company that does custom machining.  It's a great pen and is also quite comfortable in the hand, but the pen cap doesn't fit on the back of the pen during use, and of course it has a functional but generic cartridge.  It will be upgraded too, but this is a pen that is best suited for sitting on a desk, looking great and being used occasionally for signatures and quick notes.

Moving along but keeping with the aluminum theme we come to this one:

It is a gold anodized tactical pen from Smith & Wesson.  Like a lot of Smith & Wesson branded products, this one is made by Taylor Cutlery, which is generally (in my opinion and experience at least) a sign that one should either walk away from it quickly, or spit on it and run away even more quickly.  However, this is a pen, and doesn't require a decent edge, and there are no moving parts, so really, even Taylor couldn't smurf this one up.  This is actually not too bad of a pen for someone looking to get a tactical pen without the typical tactical pen pricing. 

And, it actually features a screw off cap like the more expensive tactical pens, although it just wedges on the body for use.  A good friend of mine, and former employer used to carry this exact model and color specifically because it looked neat and he figured it would be obvious if someone was to try and steal it form him.  It worked for a while, but eventually it was stolen from him, as most pens are.  And no, I did not steal his.... I got mine from the same place he got his- Felinevet.

All in all it isn't a bad pen, and cheaper than the Fisher or the Cross pens above.  I wouldn't carry it as it is a bit garish for me, but if you have a top selling rap album, it would probably go nicely with your diamond studded teeth and gold plated AK-47.

Along the same lines is the Smith & Wesson Military & Police tactical pen, which I actually much prefer to the gold version.

Mine is Metallic Brown, but it is also available in Grey or Black for nighttime secret op notetaking.

It has all of the good stuff about the gold one (except the screw off cap) but looks more like a normal pen.... except of course for the spike.  This was the first S&W tactical pen I got, and probably the first tactical pen of any brand I have owned.  I believe it was also marketed with a Schrade badge as well, which makes sense because Taylor screws up owns the Schrade brand as well.  And, as much as it pains me to say this, Taylor has actually made something halfways decent here- at least for the price range.

You can get better tactical pens, and you can get cheaper tactical pens, but you can't get a better tactical pen cheaper than this one, as I recently found out with that Stealth Angel Tactical Survival Kit and the cheapo pen in there.

Who would have guessed that you could get a product worse than the ones you get from Taylor?   :facepalm:

Kidding aside, it's not a bad pen for the money and mine has actually seen a fair bit of use, and will continue to see use, because regardless of the super, ultra smurfty brand name on the side, it's not a bad pen at all.  Like I said above, there's no moving parts, nothing that requires heat treating or an edge, there's not much even Taylor could do to screw this one up.

These are the pens that see the most use- I have a few others kicking around that I couldn't find in time for my impromptu photo shoot so I may add to this later, but these are the pens I tend to use most these days.  I hope you enjoyed looking at them- now let's see your go-to pens!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: My Pens
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:02 PM
I like those pens!  :like: :like:
I agree that the custom Ti one is awesome.  8)

At the moment, my only fancy pen is a matte black bullet with fine blue refill, so not much to say... Plus I've posted lots of pictures of it on the 30 day pen challenge thread.  :P

Very dependable, like a Fisher should be. It sometimes writes the first letter of a word faintly, but that is probably this particular refill?  ???
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:36:48 PM
Hmmm, one of those looks familiar.

This one perhaps?

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:52:06 PM
I was trying to remember who won that one!

What do you think of it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:02:31 PM
I was trying to remember who won that one!

What do you think of it?

Def

I like it, but then I do like 'fatter' pens, the Fisher ink is good as well.

Never carried it for any other reason than it's a pen
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:06:03 AM
Yeah, I like it too, but it is a little too "tactical-pen-y" for me.  I don't have much call for killing ninjas these days so I don't really need it.  And, if it ever did come down to me needing a pen to defend myself I am certain I would have just as much luck using my Fisher Bullet and stabbing an assailant rather than trying to use fancy shots to nerve clusters or pressure point control tactics.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:12:08 PM
Great write up Grant :salute:

I am a bullet pen convert as well :tu: :like: :like:

I have a chrome and black one and both have serves me well  :cheers:

Need to get some pics up of both of them sometime I guess ::) :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:49:46 PM
Here's my everyday carry, I also switched out the ink to make it a little better but here's another pic to do a little comparison besides a couple other well known..
JR
IMG_5946.PNG
* IMG_5946.PNG (Filesize: 256.03 KB)
IMG_6066.PNG
* IMG_6066.PNG (Filesize: 240.15 KB)
IMG_5952.PNG
* IMG_5952.PNG (Filesize: 232.65 KB)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:51:19 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:45 AM
Great write up Grant :salute:

I am a bullet pen convert as well :tu: :like: :like:

I have a chrome and black one and both have serves me well  :cheers:

Need to get some pics up of both of them sometime I guess ::) :D

I'd love to see that!

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 04:07:10 AM
Sweet pens, especially the Fisher and that custom!

I've got a compact silver Cross somewhere around here... It came with a leather sleeve, and it's a pretty reliable pen. A bit too skinny for my taste though. Not super comfortable to grip.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 03:17:21 AM
After I did this pictorial I started to think of the other pens I have, like a Victorinox Parker pen and a Wenger pen that the folks at Wenger were nice enough to put my name on for me years ago.  I also have a black Fisher Bullet, and, believe it or not, a red one too.

I'll have to see what I can dig out on the weekend and add to this thread.

Def

gb Offline Wrongway

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 12:09:08 PM
I like to use fountain pens as well.  It slows my writing down a touch which makes it a lot neater. 

This is a ballpoint I like to use that uses a Parker refill.  The PCB is from a redundant disk drive and encased in resin.

circuit.jpg
* circuit.jpg (Filesize: 87.4 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 12:28:14 PM
That is a remarkably beautiful pen!

Def

gb Offline Wrongway

Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 01:09:38 PM
Thank's.  I made it on a Jet wood lathe from a pen kit.  Making pens is a bit of  hobby.  I  usually try to make something quirky or different such as a rare wood from somewhere special.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 07:36:06 PM
That is a remarkably beautiful pen!

Def
Indeed, I've never seen a pen like that!  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 01:38:09 AM
I've always wanted to try my hand at turning pens, but it is something I have never gotten around to doing.

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 03:00:15 AM
I've always wanted to try my hand at turning pens, but it is something I have never gotten around to doing.

Def
I soooo wish I had a small metal lathe, cause I'd really like to turn one of those bolt pens with a knurled grip!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 05:21:37 AM
I think Harbour Freight has some fairly inexpensively.   :pok:

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 06:18:42 AM
I think Harbour Freight has some fairly inexpensively.   :pok:

Def
Yeah I thought of it, but the cheapest lathe I saw was a wood one for like $200.
JR

england Offline Kev D

Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 12:27:32 PM
My current most used pens (and one pencil), mostly at work. A nice blue space pen to be added to the mix soon I think.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:28:36 PM by Kevin Davey »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 12:31:50 PM
My current most used pens (and one pencil), mostly at work. A nice blue space pen to be added to the mix soon I think.

:like: for the Graphgear  :tu:

ph Offline Semajmarx007

• Deus Ex Machina
Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 12:33:32 PM
Wow. What got me into MTO is my desire to expand my horizons from just collecting fountain pens. Now I collect traditional knives, SAKs, multi-tools and FPs!
 :cheers:
vi veri veniversum vivus vici

england Offline Kev D

Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 12:39:16 PM

They are really nice pens, and the pentel HB leads for the pencil are the nicest I've ever used. They write nice and dark, feel soft to write with, yet are very strong and erase nicely if needed. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 12:57:01 PM

(...)

(Image removed from quote.)

These are the pens that see the most use- I have a few others kicking around that I couldn't find in time for my impromptu photo shoot so I may add to this later, but these are the pens I tend to use most these days.  I hope you enjoyed looking at them- now let's see your go-to pens!

Def

Got one of these in black. Only thing I don't like about it is that the pen does not close securelly, like the twist on do. There's a little bit of play when the cap is on. Do you have the same issue?

I'm looking for another model with a twist on cap. Maybe a Böker Plus MPP Multi Purpose Pen Black:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:48 PM

They are really nice pens, and the pentel HB leads for the pencil are the nicest I've ever used. They write nice and dark, feel soft to write with, yet are very strong and erase nicely if needed.

Pentel is my favorite mechanical pencil brand. I usually use a Sharp, but currently have a Twist-Erase XP. Considering that you can get two pencils and a container with a bunch of refills for $5-6, the quality is great.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 07:35:15 PM
Here's my everyday carry, I also switched out the ink to make it a little better but here's another pic to do a little comparison besides a couple other well known..
JR

How do you like the Pokka Pen? I was thinking of trying one out..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 08:36:35 PM
JR

How do you like the Pokka Pen? I was thinking of trying one out..
Not bad, it's just a bic that breaks down, so if you like bics and need one to break in half totally worth the $8 for 3,,

Oh and if you like a specific color just find the bic then cut the ink cartridge, I wanted a wider ink and in blue and that's what I did..
JR

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:22 PM
I am a bit partial to the Pentel pencils.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 10:05:39 PM
I am a bit partial to the Pentel pencils.

(Image removed from quote.)
:like:

You're only missing the 0.7 in the graphgears  :o
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:07:40 PM by Kevin Davey »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85