Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Went to a gun/knife show and didn't buy a thing.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Went to a gun/knife show and didn't buy a thing.
on: June 04, 2017, 05:41:08 PM
Nada. Zilch. Bupkiss.

For most of my life I was a dyed in the wool knife nut. A SAK was part of that, but it most  times took second place to a nice dedicated knife. I've carried a traditional pocket knife my whole life and the SAK has always fought to be included, like the red headed step child at Christmas dinner. But as I aged, the small multitool has become a more used implement in my life. Maybe I had to grow up a bit extra to really appreciate the multitool concept. But I seems to have reached an age where the one trick pony is no longer welcome in my life.

I walked all around the show, chicken eyed and coon fingered some nice knives, but didn't buy a thing. There was Case, Buck, Benchmade, Spyderco, and others. But every time I looked at a knife, I wondered what it could do that my edc SAK or Leatherman squirt couldn't do? The cold answer in the light of day was almost nothing. THat SAK in my pocket could tighten a screw, open a can, pluck a splinter, file a rough spot, or a host of other things.

The truth is, I've got so used to a little bundle of tools in a pocket, that a knife holds no more than a passing interest for me. With a SAK in a pocket, or the little Leatherman squirt that I was gifted, I have both cutting ability as well as some basic tools. It's a bit of shock now, to realize that I am "over" the knife thing.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Went to a gun/knife show and didn't buy a thing.
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:16:46 PM
 :think: :think: :think:

Damn I think we've broken Cbl  :ahhh

:(
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:06:28 PM

:rofl:

Nice narrative, excellent points.  I feel the same way. Awlways with me, I have a better chance of leaving my wallet or phone at home.

:cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 03:17:49 AM
The man is obviously ill. Alas!

I went to a gun show in Denver yesterday. When I couldn't find any interesting SAKs, I bought a Case and a Henckels. Went back today and bought two mores Cases.

Do I have a problem? Yes, I can't find interesting SAKs!   :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:32:22 AM

:rofl:

Nice narrative, excellent points. I feel the same way. Awlways with me, I have a better chance of leaving my wallet or phone at home.

As always  :salute:

Everything’s adjustable

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 07:04:29 PM
Carl, there's nothing abnormal in that feeling.
i mean it's not the tools that are needed to make things, but the brain behind them.

As we grow older and wiser, the tools can become smaller, simpler and basic as the knowledge behind their manipulation becomes bigger, , smarter and complex.
This way we can do the same with less, as our generation can work backed up by the knowledge and experience of previous generations.

As they say, we're but nanos gigantum humeris insidentes  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 10:48:51 PM
I agree about the knives.  I find myself oblivious to the tactical knives these days.  The last several knives I bought were traditionals. They don't lock, and they're not assisted opening, and they're mostly not black, as I find myself more attracted to quality craftsmanship these days  multi tools have spoiled me as well. The Skeletool is light, has a one hand opening blade plus other tools and takes up the same amount of pocket space. When I do carry a single blade knife it's usually accompanying the Spirit with the butter blade just because some things are easier to cut with a non-serrated blade.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 11:06:37 PM
I agree about the knives.  I find myself oblivious to the tactical knives these days.  The last several knives I bought were traditionals. They don't lock, and they're not assisted opening, and they're mostly not black, as I find myself more attracted to quality craftsmanship these days  multi tools have spoiled me as well. The Skeletool is light, has a one hand opening blade plus other tools and takes up the same amount of pocket space. When I do carry a single blade knife it's usually accompanying the Spirit with the butter blade just because some things are easier to cut with a non-serrated blade.

The tactical knife thing is something I have never understood at all!

I guess growing up in the 1950's with a boy scout knife and then a SAK, the idea of lugging around a single use item just is not on my radar. When Buck came out with the 110 in 1964 or so, I think I was the only person on the planet that looked at it and thought is was a super dumb idea; a single blade knife that weighed as much as a small pistol, and outweigh some fixed blade hunting knives the same blade size. I still think that way, but I guess opinions are like something else everyone has.  :D

Too many times having a simple tool or two has made a huge difference in getting home. Fixing something out in the middle of nowhere or out on the water is a good thing. Sometimes a screw driver is all you need to get 'into' something to fiddle with it.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:12:13 PM
Carl, there's nothing abnormal in that feeling.
i mean it's not the tools that are needed to make things, but the brain behind them.

As we grow older and wiser, the tools can become smaller, simpler and basic as the knowledge behind their manipulation becomes bigger, , smarter and complex.
This way we can do the same with less, as our generation can work backed up by the knowledge and experience of previous generations.

As they say, we're but nanos gigantum humeris insidentes  :tu:

Yeah, the older I get the more stuff I need shrinks down. There's been many days that these two items are my sole edc aside from my wallet and cell phone. Yet they do what I want. Not long ago, I fixed the washing machine with just the squirt.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%