Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC - Camper or Huntsman

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: EDC - Camper or Huntsman
Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:02 PM
Thank you all for your answers. :)

BTW this is the dangler I'm trying, some cheap Chinese-made clip - quite high quality suprisingly. I'm considering sawing the bottom 1/3 off (I've got four of these clips so I can mess up a few) and drilling a hole in it to have the keyring through. But the way it is now it could be removed ... Right now I must say the thing hinders me a bit during usage. ...
2 Toolslinger: you inspired me to dig this up, thank you! :)

The second thing is a paracord "thingy" that can be adjusted to fit different depths of pockets ... OMG ... :)
PS: Don't you stare at my worked out body! Women pay to see that you know!!!!!! :D

:cheers:

I've used the paracord setup as well. I prefer the dangler as it is more discreet (personal opinion). I also used an S-Biner on the end to allow me to unclip the knife for use and leave the lanyard attached to the belt.

Now I need to find that setup in my drawer and post a pic as well. I loop the cord from the biner through the belt loop at 3 o'clock and then back to the biner (secured with tight figure 8 knots). Then the other end of the biner is clipped to the SAK.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:35 PM
Another vote for the Huntsman here. When you need scissors you need scissors !

And it's damn hard to beat a pair of 91mm SAK scissors. :tu:

Offline redneckbear

Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 12:23:35 AM
I was going to say I'm still ready to ditch the scissors in spite of what y'all said ... but who had the correct answer today in a pub when a friend of mine asked around for scissors to help her with her damaged nail ...
this guy. :D

I wish to dump this 4-layer SAK for a thinner one sooo bad - but it's just not possible. :D The scissors are just too dang useful.

PS: As for todays dangler test - I didn't try the clip -  the danger paracord hanger was fine, only a few times the outside and therefore more loose line got in my way so I decided to make it into a one-line-hanger. I will post some pictures when/if I measure it right. :)

(Image removed from quote.)
That Umbrella patch (and the whole setup as well) is just awesome!!! :)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:30 AM
Another vote for the Huntsman (extra points for choosing nylon scales :tu:).

91mm SAKs start at 4 layers for me because they don't flex much under torque. IMO, the Huntsman is the absolute no-nonsense SAK longterm, in that it has the most useful tools -read versatile, parcel hook included ::)- in a pretty compact and lightweight package.
Show content
Having said that, sometimes I wish Vic offered 91mm Rangers with nylon scales or made nylon scales readily available.

Welcome to the forums :cheers:
I have a pair of nylon scales you're welcome to firiki  :pok:

Yes, please :gimme: PM on the way. Thanks   :cheers:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 12:10:47 AM
Huntsman w/ p7 clip
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 04:08:42 AM
Huntsman w/ p7 clip

+1 if the pocket thing is an issue.  4 layers is definitely my cut off for pocket carry.    You've already considered the Farmer I suppose?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 06:23:28 AM
I find the overlap in functionality between a knife and scissors to be too much to justify the presence of a relatively thick layer tool on a 91mm knife. The few uses that can be performed exclusively with scissors tend to be personal grooming types of tasks that can usually be postponed. So my vote goes to the Camper.

My current favorite four layer is a mod where I removed the scissors from a Ranger. Since the file layer is one of the thin layer tools, it ends up being just slightly thicker than a Camper but adds another level of material removal ability that doesn't overlap much with the knife or saw and the new Vic files are rather impressive in their cutting ability. It also has four back layer tools giving it extremely high tool density :tu:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 11:10:41 PM
The back of the saw on the Huntsman could probably strike a fero rod... but a lighter would work better Lolol
join KNIFE RIGHTS

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 01:44:18 PM
No prizes for guessing my vote  :)

But if you really must have three layers - What about a  :climber:
Although I think you said you needed the saw - I find I hardly use the saw these days.

Offline redneckbear

Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 06:26:17 PM
Thanks guys!  :)
In the end I ended up :) with a Camper II Ecoline and Farmer. While I really like the Huntsman (no offence, Huntsman, but I'm talking mainly about my knife :D ), I decided it would have to be the nylon scaled version Huntsman II - which I'm now trying to find in Czech shops (sold out everywhere).
Camper II seems to be ending in my BOB ... and the Farmer in my pocket.
And I'm selling the rest of my humble not-a-collection because I'm feeling that the urge to buy more SAKs is stronger with me having more SAKs ... :D

us Offline TonySal

Reply #40 on: April 08, 2018, 01:54:46 AM
Still here gang?
I would have sent you nylon scales but now I used them. ..
Huntsman for now but really need an Explorer for ghe mag glass  :whistle:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

Offline Anibal

• New User
Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 04:26:34 AM
Camper and Minichamp lite both.  Flashlight & pen in the house with scissors in the Lite. Scissors not a big deal for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 10, 2022, 07:23:42 AM
Hello Anibal,

That's a good option - But the OP said he must only have one - Although I do have a theory that keychain SAKs do not count when you are totalling up your SAKs (coz they are so small and on a keychain!!   ;)  ).

However I think the OP probably already made his decision some time ago !!    ;) 

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #43 on: October 11, 2022, 02:16:37 AM
Anibal, I would also follow that with the Hunstman Lite - Everything the standard Huntsman offers, along with an LED torch and pen, and you even get the inline Phillips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%