Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kayaking to the next province!

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Kayaking to the next province!
on: September 22, 2016, 11:00:47 PM
I've kayaked from one city to another a few times, but never from one province to the next.  Fortunately I live near the Ottawa River and so kayaking from Ontario to Quebec is pretty simple.  Too simple in face, so I decided to add a bit more of a challenge because that's how I roll.   :facepalm:

I started off at the beach at Kitchissippi Lookout on the Ottawa side with the goal of getting as close as I could to the Deschenes Rapids.  I've seen them from the road a number of times, and if you look closely in the picture above, you can see them in the distance.  The opposite shore is Quebec, in case anyone is keeping track.  :D

Since I wasn't going far (or so I thought!) I didn't bring a lot of supplies or equipment- in hindsight I should have had some water along.  It was a much longer trip than I expected and the 30 degree weather wasn't helping.  I dehydrated myself pretty good on this one. 

From the moment I put the boat in the water I could hear the rapids roaring, and between that and the fact that I could see them, I figured they weren't that far, so I started paddling upstream.  Well, as I paddled and paddled and paddled I realized that not only were the rapids further away than I'd expected, they were also MUCH bigger than I expected.

Sadly the photos I did take when I got closer don't really show the enormity of the rapids.  In fact, they seem kind of boring in these photos, but trust me, the upper level of the water was above my head as I sat there in my boat, trying desperately to snap photos without being washed away by the current.

It actually wasn't just the current that was the issue- it was mostly the eddies that threatened to turn my boat around or over.  Imagine hundreds of people running as fast as they can through a dense forest, and that's what the water was like- dozens of currents whirling about and running into each other, each one feeling like I'd hit a rock as I was tossed from one to the other.  This would be a fun place to have a six foot whitewater boat, but this is really not the place to have a 17 foot fiberglass ocean boat!   :ahhh

I'm not sure what these old remains are from- my guess would be some kind of mill, as they used to run a lot of logs through here.  But, seeing the water rushing through what's left of whatever this building was was well worth the danger of being in this spot.  Sure my boat could flip, but as I was on the downstream side of the rapids the currents would just push me away from the real danger.

I wish I'd gotten closer still so you could really get some perspective on the size of the dropoff.  This was more like a small waterfall than simple rapids, and I could see why even the serious whitewater guys in the area have a lot of warnings about their website about them.  I can also see why they enjoy playing here though, but again, this is not the kind of place you want to be in a fragile boat, especially when there are so many hazards around.

Luckily I managed to avoid them all, despite them being all over the place.

Still, as you can see, it was well worth it.  This was a gorgeous spot and the rapids were amazing.

Once I got safely away from the rapids I headed straight back to the beach since by now I was sweating like crazy and I had to get back in order to take Megan out for lunch.  On the right in the above photo is Ottawa, and on the left is Quebec.  It was cool being able to be in both provinces pretty much simultaneously.

It was another great trip and fun exploring a new spot is always great fun.  The Ottawa River is quite large, and I am certain that this is only the first of many trips to explore it, so get used to seeing the pictures!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Kayaking to the next province!
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:21:26 PM
 :like:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:28:07 AM
 :like: :like: :like:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 08:03:15 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 11:59:18 AM
Worst part is, I charged up one of my Gopro cameras to get footage so I could concentrate on handling the boat, but I forgot it in the Jeep.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:18:52 PM
That infamous pink kayak :dd: It has now reached the kitch version of the Mississippi river... :D

Seriously now, well done Boss and thanks for the pics. I love rivers but I'm not one to brave them paddling. :salute:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 01:37:14 PM
I have shot rapids with that kayak before and probably will again.  In fact, I first shot these rapids in that boat, although I didn't film it that time.

This was the time I shot them in the boat Megan usually takes.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 01:45:31 PM
Looks like a really fun time out. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 08:53:44 PM
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 09:40:03 PM
Some great pics Boss :tu: Looks like you had a good time :cheers:

:like: :like: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:11:38 AM
I had a fantastic time, although there was a hit if a fail. I'd brought a Gopro intending to keep my hands on the paddles and let the Gopro capture all of the pictures, but I forgot it in the car.  I had to snap the pics on my phone which meant I couldn't get right into the fun spots the way I'd have liked.

Oh well, next time I guess!

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 02:08:49 PM
"water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink"

Looks like a great paddle boss.  :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 11:19:50 PM
BTW, I got some info on the ruins- it wasn't an old sawmill as I'd thought, it was a hydro electric station.

http://www.capitalgems.ca/aylmer-hydro-ruins.html

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 12:07:23 AM
 :tu:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:44 AM
BTW, I got some info on the ruins- it wasn't an old sawmill as I'd thought, it was a hydro electric station.

http://www.capitalgems.ca/aylmer-hydro-ruins.html

Def

Looks like there was a sawmill there prior to the hydro, so not a completely incorrect assessment. Nice bit of paddling

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%