Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG POWERPLAY CLUB

Zed · 30 · 4188

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
SOG POWERPLAY CLUB
on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:40 PM
I've not started a club for ages  :facepalm: just got this powerplay from Chris,interesting MT and not had a Sog for ages,anyone else got a powerplay?  What's your thoughts  :tu:
2017-04-28 11.53.05.jpg
* 2017-04-28 11.53.05.jpg (Filesize: 334.24 KB)

fi Offline Padre

Re: SOG POWERPLAY CLUB
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:05:48 PM
Last SOG I have bought. My initial impressions for my work are negative.
But its still a fun tool to play with. :D
I'll get a pic later, have to do something with it this weekend.
 :cheers:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:16:59 PM
I've also found negatives in its design, ergonomics are not the best plus release buttons stick into your hands, plus no gear covers  :-\ but I've found some nice functions ,no MT is perfect so I'll test this out on fishing and camping trips plus around the house,it is a cool looking MT for sure  :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:21:19 AM
Yeah, was in, now out.  The Powerplay is OK, but for a full sized multi I've got better options.  The pliers were great, size was good and it had a good variety of tools.  The inline bit driver is awesome, as are the awl, phillips and fine flat driver.  But as Paul says, the ergos are a bit off and the lock buttons are annoying.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:55:23 AM
But it's very cool looking Chris  ;)   :multi:

us Offline sonarsessions

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:23:45 PM
first post, so I guess i'll make this one count :)

I actually was given on back in December. Long story short, my job held an auction for USO, and I was among a few other employees in charge of the items being auctioned. I reached out to alot of veteran-owned/operated companies as well as those who likely employed them. Of all the multi-tool companies I reached out to, SOG was the first (and only) company to reach out and offer up quite a few items donated for the auction. One of my coworkers (who is a former marine) was really happy to her they were participating, and went out of their way to win the bundle of items they sent to auction off. After winning, my co worker came up to me and asked me to pick out one of the items to keep as a 'thank you', so I picked the PowerPlay.

Having used it a few times, I have a few likes and dislikes... a definite plus is that it comes with a nice sheath and has some functional tools that have helped me out since it was given to me. The downside in my opinion is the sub-par steel. Granted, I am a knife guy and always have at least 2 on me, but even my beater knife sports better steel than the 5cr15MoV on the Sog. Granted, I can always sharpen it after use, and I routinely do if I have to use it, but my concern is more the corrosion properties it lacks. For a multi tool, you'd hope you are getting at least 'tool' steel. Last I checked, they use 5cr15MoV for kitchen knives.

All in all, it's a good first multitool, but now that I have one and know what I will use it for, I am glad I didn't just go out and buy it. I now have a few things on my 'list' I'll be looking to check when I get my next MT. 
:climber:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:15 PM
Thanks for your thoughts mate  :tu: it's a interesting MT but there are better ones on the market  :tu:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:39:59 PM
I dont find blade steel that important in a MT. They have to cut costs. These things are already expensive. Tool steel or low end knife steels are fine, and easier to sharpen for not so enthustiatic users.

High end should belong to those who care about it, and lets admit knife world will always surpass MT scene.

8cr cuts everything really hair shaving sharp, it just wont that as long as some expensive steels.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 10:45:08 PM
Just in case anyone wants to join this club, I have both versions in stock.  :D

https://store.multitool.org/sog-13

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 12:11:50 AM

Def
:salute:
Although I've got this MT up for trade I have to be honest that it's growing on me,it's looks are cool ,yes there are pros and cons but you can say that about most MT's  :salute: :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 02:05:41 AM
I haven't found a perfect one yet myself.  I've come close a few times but never 100%.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 03:20:12 AM
I haven't found a perfect one yet myself.  I've come close a few times but never 100%.

Def

We all keep searching Def  ;)  :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 05:16:32 PM

Def
Although I've got this MT up for trade I have to be honest that it's growing on me,it's looks are cool ,yes there are pros and cons but you can say that about most MT's  :salute: :tu:

If I were in the UK now you'd be enjoying your Swisschamp and I would've already joined this club

:ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 05:20:38 PM

Def

If I were in the UK now you'd be enjoying your Swisschamp and I would've already joined this club

:ahhh

Sadly I've had a lot of payout this week plus lost a shift at work so needs to be in mate sorry  :-\

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:12 AM
..., plus no gear covers

Do the gears actually do anything anymore?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 03:25:51 AM
..., plus no gear covers

Yeah it's there compound leverage,gives x2 the power  :tu:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 09:18:50 PM
..., plus no gear covers

Well, the gears aren't what actually allows for the compound leverage, that's handled with the extra set of rivets and slots in the plier head. I do think they help in keeping the pliers aligned correctly though.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 09:21:48 PM
 :salute:  just wish they put the gear covers on  :-\

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 09:25:34 PM

Indeed! I have a nagging feeling that they don't because they want to show off the compound leverage...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 11:11:43 PM

Indeed! I have a nagging feeling that they don't because they want to show off the compound leverage...

I tottaly agree mate  :tu: yes looks cool but a pain in the hand  :-\ was the same years ago when I had a sog ppp, then got the powerlock with the covers,such a improvement  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 06:19:11 AM
I like a lot about it, but like everyone said, the lock releases are not well thought out. And my only BIG problem is periodically when I use it the rivets that hold the gears together tend to want to loosen and they start lifting up and the angle puts even more stress on it and makes the issue worse. I just use a piece if steel inside of the rivets and squeeze the rolled inside of the rivet with a pair of vise grips. That gets them by for quite a while. BUT, gear covers would have probably prevented this issue to start with. Just a huge oversight on SOG's part. The powerlock is much better though and can be had for the same money. I got my power assist for $49 on sale. Powerplay costed me $69 when it came out.
20170625_230909-1.jpeg
* 20170625_230909-1.jpeg (Filesize: 74.7 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:02 AM
Is anyone still in this club? Was wondering how the tool is holding up after all this time?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:20 AM
Is anyone still in this club? Was wondering how the tool is holding up after all this time?

I've started alot of clubs here that I'm know longer in  :facepalm: this one included, the powerplay wasn't for me,sadly and only my opinion but I feel that SOG's quality has gone down hill these days,I've owned older sogs and all the tools functioned well,I've sadly had issues with some of there newer tools,especially there files  :-\ and it's odd how a while back I used the powerplay Phillips on a screw on the hinge on a gate in my garden and it slipped continuously  but when I used my waves Phillips bit last week on the same screw it functioned perfectly . No MT is perfect but it's nice if it can handle most jobs when you don't have a dedicated tool  :-\ I traded the powerplay a while back,oddly though I did like it's looks .

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 03:35:32 AM
The one I have the phillips is a #1/#2 that is deformed from tye factory. The one my brother has the phillips is a #2 that is perfectly formed. The difference is insane. SOG has lost their sense it seems. The files are seriously pure crap. And that's a fact unfortunately. :whistle:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 04:35:43 AM
The one I have the phillips is a #1/#2 that is deformed from tye factory. The one my brother has the phillips is a #2 that is perfectly formed. The difference is insane. SOG has lost their sense it seems. The files are seriously pure crap. And that's a fact unfortunately. :whistle:

The files more of a butter knife  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 05:17:10 AM

An insult to butter knives, sir!  :twak:  :D

Yeah, the newer sog files MAY be able to spread butter. Maybe. Possibly. :P

What gets me is the SOG plier heads and cutting blades are decent, but they can't buy files from the company who makes files for walmart MTs to use that somewhat work.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 06:25:51 AM

An insult to butter knives, sir!  :twak:  :D

Yeah, the newer sog files MAY be able to spread butter. Maybe. Possibly. :P

What gets me is the SOG plier heads and cutting blades are decent, but they can't buy files from the company who makes files for walmart MTs to use that somewhat work.

:rofl: may be it was supposed to be a butter blade and not a file  ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: Zed

Mystery solved. You have closed the case, sir! SOG just mislabeled the use for the blade. All along they were trying to compete with the Leatherman Flair's butter blade. They merely just forgot the cocktail fork! :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 02:56:20 PM
Quote from: Zed

Mystery solved. You have closed the case, sir! SOG just mislabeled the use for the blade. All along they were trying to compete with the Leatherman Flair's butter blade. They merely just forgot the cocktail fork! :cheers:

:rofl:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 30, 2023, 06:03:44 PM
I love my Power Play. My philips driver was also deformed from the factory, and the file does suck, but I use this tool ALL the time. I love the compound leverage, it's so easy to pull nails out of baseboards and cut 12ga house wiring. I didn't know that some of them have good philips drivers, I just figured they were all like that. I might have to snag another one and see if it's better.

The release buttons do loosen up a little with time. But they completely block any attempt at mounting a pocket clip, unfortunately. Ah well.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD