Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are these scales still usable?

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Are these scales still usable?
on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:47 PM
In preparation of my mod I took off the scales of my donors. They were stuck really tight, and in the proces some parts broke off around the holes where the bushings go in.

Will these still fit tight when I put them on again? Or do I need new scales?

This is probably asked before but I can't find it with the search. Probably not using the correct search terms.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: Are these scales still usable?
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:35 PM
That looks like a substantial loss of material.

I've found even small amounts of material loss (and probably some stretching/bending) when removing the scales is enough to reduce their ability to snap on again.

I doubt they will snap on like new scales would. You can try press fitting them on when your mod is done. If they don't snap on, they should be usable if you add some glue and clamp them on.

Usually I will just use a small dab of gel superglue and then clamp the SAK and let it set for a few minutes.

Next time you have to remove some scales, you can try letting the warm up in hot water first. Syph007 mentioned that in his mod thread and I've used that technique with good success as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:13:37 PM by Toolslinger »

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:16:09 PM
Thanks, i'll try and if it doesn't fit i'll order new ones. It just feels like such a shame to discard the nice golfer scale.

Is there any way I could have prevented this from happening? I really tried to be careful and slowly building up the pressure when removing, but when it came loose I also lost these fragments.

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:20:45 PM
Next time you have to remove some scales, you can try letting the warm up in hot water first. Syph007 mentioned that in his mod thread and I've used that technique with good success as well.

OK thanks  :cheers:

Well, better luck next time! Although I did some how-to research before, I completely missed this technique for reusing scales.

Hopefully no more screw ups before my mod gets finished  ::)

^-- where the cat sits

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:43:23 PM
Yup, much material is removed... best bet is it will not be a tight fit, or worse, won't stick...

Another method you can try is to worm the scales with a hair dryer prior to removal... another method I tried, is letting it sit for a while in front of my laptops heat blower opening...

In putting back the scales on, I use a mini bench vice... pressure is more controlable... and I let it get clamped for about a minute or two to let the scale material settle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:41 PM
A trick I learned by reading threads from senior modders is to be patient... always mock-up the tools several times to ensure that tool placement is best... nail nick access especially... once satisfied, then do final peening...

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 04:02:55 PM
Good tips jaya_man :cheers:

I've tried the hairdryer/heatgun approach but found that the warm water worked better in getting the insides of the scale to be flexible.

With the air, it tended to heat up the outside and tools quickly, but the inside of the scales was not as pliable. Maybe the soak time (like when you use the laptop/computer fan) is what is needed for that to work.

Taking the time to mock and test accessibility is huge. Has saved me much hassle and wasted material.

Also, be patient with peening. Go light and slow. Check frequently for tool tension and play.

Good luck with the mod and make sure to post pics and thoughts on the process when you're done. Always interested in seeing what others come up with. :salute:

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 04:06:45 PM
Good tips jaya_man :cheers:

I've tried the hairdryer/heatgun approach but found that the warm water worked better in getting the insides of the scale to be flexible.

With the air, it tended to heat up the outside and tools quickly, but the inside of the scales was not as pliable. Maybe the soak time (like when you use the laptop/computer fan) is what is needed for that to work.

Taking the time to mock and test accessibility is huge. Has saved me much hassle and wasted material.

Also, be patient with peening. Go light and slow. Check frequently for tool tension and play.

Good luck with the mod and make sure to post pics and thoughts on the process when you're done. Always interested in seeing what others come up with. :salute:

Of course I'll open up a thread and post pictures when the mod is made!

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 04:54:47 PM
Maybe you can use a sodering iron to replace some material that was lost by pushing the edges inworths.
I've done this myself a few times on random broken plastic stuff with good results.

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 06:02:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!

When the mod is done next week I'll try if I can make the scales fit. Otherwise I'll find some new scales.

^-- where the cat sits

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 06:05:42 PM
You might use contact glue to keep them in place but it would make a later replacement more difficult to do.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 12:20:47 AM
Probably not. I did the same and now my SAKs have kinda loose scales, not much, except for one that doesn't stay on anymore and is glued back together with tape.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
I use Goop glue it dries rubbery. First clean the scales as well as the knife with alcohol and let dry glue and clamp over night. Any squeeze out can be cleaned the next day with your finger nail or a razor blade.  

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 07:28:01 AM
The older solid scales seem to be stiffer and more brittle than the newer pocketed type, and more likely to be damaged when you remove them.  I wonder if the material has been changed, or if it degrades over time. :think:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 11:36:09 PM
I second the Goop.  I've been using it for years and it is fantastic.  It holds the scales on very solidly, yet can still be removed if you want to.  And the great part is, since it's really thick and rubbery it doesn't seem in around the pivots and glue the knife shut like super glue can do if you aren't careful.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 04:09:29 AM
5 minute epoxy works for me.
Just a small amount in the hole, not enough to ooze out all over the place.

Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 10:22:35 AM
Thanks all, i'll keep this in mind :salute:

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 05:31:41 PM
That looks like a substantial loss of material.

I've found even small amounts of material loss (and probably some stretching/bending) when removing the scales is enough to reduce their ability to snap on again.

I doubt they will snap on like new scales would. You can try press fitting them on when your mod is done. If they don't snap on, they should be usable if you add some glue and clamp them on.

Usually I will just use a small dab of gel superglue and then clamp the SAK and let it set for a few minutes.

Now this was some good advice  :cheers: :cheers:
I had two other SAKs that needed scale removal, and after letting it soak in warm water they went off VERY easy and without material loss!  :cheers: :cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44