Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's up with sogs files ?

Zed · 22 · 2196

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
What's up with sogs files ?
on: April 29, 2017, 10:20:03 AM
Ok I've had 4 Sogs over the years and other than a older ppp All there files are crap  :-\ why can't sog make a decent file?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: What's up with sogs files ?
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:27:37 AM
The file files  :D
20170429_092537.jpg
* 20170429_092537.jpg (Filesize: 399.2 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 12:18:54 PM
Please, don't be annoyed. I entered here to learn were on Earth we keep those songs files.

:facepalm:

Go on gentlemen.

dk Offline Troels

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 12:23:00 PM
I agree  :cheers:
SOG must have missed that all the other MT brands have much better files  :oops:
SOG makes good MTs IMO ... but they miss out on some of the individual tools.

dk Offline Troels

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 12:48:49 PM
Files from Gerber mp600, Swisstool, LM Rebar and SOG PPP

Its quite clear that the SOG file is very smooth for a file and misses its purpose  :think:
SOG files are branded as being 3-sided. They are not, there are some scratches but it will not be filling anything.

Vic, LM and the mp600 files are all pretty good. The mp600 is only 2-sided though.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:05:58 PM
Yeah I've had all these files and sogs are the worst on any MT,I just don't get why they produce such a crap file  :think: it's tottaly useless, of course I was always spoilt early on by the 1st Gen waves file ,leatherman make a usefull file for sure,but I still can't get my head around Sogs bad effort of a file, this is what put me off sog in the past, :-[

dk Offline Troels

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 04:40:07 PM
Yeah I've had all these files and sogs are the worst on any MT,I just don't get why they produce such a crap file  :think: it's tottaly useless, of course I was always spoilt early on by the 1st Gen waves file ,leatherman make a usefull file for sure,but I still can't get my head around Sogs bad effort of a file, this is what put me off sog in the past, :-[

They are very useless  ::) Luckily sogs saws are decent so I swapped out the file for a saw on my SOG PPP - lovely MT by the way  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 05:19:24 PM

They are very useless  ::) Luckily sogs saws are decent so I swapped out the file for a saw on my SOG PPP - lovely MT by the way  :D

Yeah the ppp is a good tool,on the power pliers and ppp and paratool I also swapped out the files,my recent sog is the powerplay,it's a bit frustrating as I'm sure there idea was for a cool functional MT , it's got some good ideas and I do like sogs compound leverage pliers,although as many MT'S it has stuff wrong with it ,it's the file that bugs me the most,now I wonder if sogs scissors would fit ,or a modded LM file?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 11:29:46 PM

Saw works great,sadly mine bent today cutting branches  :-\ I think this will be my last SOG  :-\
2017-04-30 13.39.01.jpg
* 2017-04-30 13.39.01.jpg (Filesize: 167.01 KB)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:17:57 PM
My older (USA) Sogs have fine files.  The newer files.... :facepalm:  I don't know why bother when you can put something else there.  I just got a tool clip and the "file" is bad even for Chinese junk.  Just totally smooth. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 09:21:50 PM
My older (USA) Sogs have fine files.  The newer files.... :facepalm:  I don't know why bother when you can put something else there.  I just got a tool clip and the "file" is bad even for Chinese junk.  Just totally smooth.

Yeah older ones was fine but new ones  :-\ too smooth to file anything  :think: it's a waste of space  :-[

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 10:18:00 PM
It's actually pretty disgusting given Sog's price point.  These are not cheap tools. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 10:54:03 PM
It's actually pretty disgusting given Sog's price point.  These are not cheap tools.

Hence why I prefer LM and there files are great especially there diamond file  :tu:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 12:22:06 AM
Someone should send an MT back to SOG under warranty and tell them you got a defective file.  See what they say...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 07:59:00 AM
Someone should send an MT back to SOG under warranty and tell them you got a defective file.  See what they say...

:tu: if i had a sog now I would but I'll stick with LM and sak as always worked for me  :tu: possibly someone else could as could as wpuld love to see there reply  :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 01:41:44 PM

That would just be a waste of postage in my mind. I don't want to see excuses or cunning commercial wordplay, I want to see them either selling decent tools, or no tools. The only way sending tools in would lead to something meaningful is if they got a high percentage of all sales returned. I would love that to happen. 60% of all the crap tools sold landing back on their doorstep, with a note saying this is unacceptable.  >:D Although having said that, some of their recent prices that I've seen, might even indicate they are factoring this in  ::)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 01:47:42 PM
To be fair the file on my SOG worked when I needed it. Wasn't a lot just a nail sticking out from someone doing a DIY fix of a door knob without paying attention to detail
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 04:03:58 PM
To be fair the file on my SOG worked when I needed it. Wasn't a lot just a nail sticking out from someone doing a DIY fix of a door knob without paying attention to detail

What tool were you using?  I can't even file my fingernails with most of my SOG files.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:45 PM

What tool were you using?  I can't even file my fingernails with most of my SOG files.  :facepalm:

My powerplays wouldn't even file a mars bar  :rofl:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 10:57:45 PM
Leatherman do not make their own files. Or several other fine-tooled parts. The issue for Leatherman isn't going abroad to take advantage of lower quality, cheaper manufacturing traditions. The opposite. They use modern manufacturing facilities in Europe which are equal or even superior to American firms. Neither are the European parts necessarily cheaper. Europe is very advanced in metallurgical industry. A company that won a bid to make a knife for US Navy Seals ended up requiring European machinery and metal to meet the specs to which they agreed.

SOG ought to be careful, as we will, sooner rather than later, see Chinese multi tools of equal or better quality than US firms contracting to Chinese firms. Leatherman is not likely to be surpassed, nor the Swiss company Victorinox. But SOG and Gerber are often uneven in quality despite a specific clever and well-done improvement of a given tool. To me the Gold Standard is probably the Swiss Tool Spirit, or even the bigger Swiss Tool, and the Surge. SOG and Gerber can do their own thing, but they should imitate quality. They have quality in their own history!       

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 11:18:50 PM
Leatherman do not make their own files. Or several other fine-tooled parts. The issue for Leatherman isn't going abroad to take advantage of lower quality, cheaper manufacturing traditions. The opposite. They use modern manufacturing facilities in Europe which are equal or even superior to American firms. Neither are the European parts necessarily cheaper. Europe is very advanced in metallurgical industry. A company that won a bid to make a knife for US Navy Seals ended up requiring European machinery and metal to meet the specs to which they agreed.

SOG ought to be careful, as we will, sooner rather than later, see Chinese multi tools of equal or better quality than US firms contracting to Chinese firms. Leatherman is not likely to be surpassed, nor the Swiss company Victorinox. But SOG and Gerber are often uneven in quality despite a specific clever and well-done improvement of a given tool. To me the Gold Standard is probably the Swiss Tool Spirit, or even the bigger Swiss Tool, and the Surge. SOG and Gerber can do their own thing, but they should imitate quality. They have quality in their own history!     

I agree mate,I've owned many spyderco U.S made ones and these Ganzo I got recently with benchmade type axis locks are actually pretty amazing knives for the money,chin has seriously up it's game over the last fee years for sure .

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 03:26:51 AM

I agree mate,I've owned many spyderco U.S made ones and these Ganzo I got recently with benchmade type axis locks are actually pretty amazing knives for the money,chin has seriously up it's game over the last fee years for sure .

I have felt for the last few years or so that China is currently where Japan was in the 70's. Go take a look at reviews for Kizer Cutlery, a high end knife company based out of (and made in) China. They make very good high end blades for a decent price. "Made In China" won't necessarily be a pseudonym for cheap in the near future.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%