Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTO / Gerber peer pressure!

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
MTO / Gerber peer pressure!
on: April 30, 2017, 03:13:59 PM
I caved after 29 days of seeing Gerber MTs in almost every discussion thread.

I had stopped at a Pawn shop looking for some tools when I stopped by a display of knives. Found a traditional that I liked and... a new in package Gerber for less than $30.  So added it to my purchase.   A new Diesel, oh my another impulse buy.
Thank you all for being such enablers...

And this is the trad folder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: MTO / Gerber peer pressure!
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:15:51 PM
Those are nice!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 03:30:49 PM
Great scores! :like: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:23:30 PM
The Diesel is slowly becoming one of my favorites, definitely a very nice Gerber to try out the brand

Hope you  :like: it as much as I do!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 04:26:28 PM
I don't know what you mean LC ::) :whistle: :D

I like both of those and looks like you got a good deal to me :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:27:52 PM
Nice score  :like: :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:59:26 PM
Tell me about it... always wanted to have a flicky MT... seeing those awesome Gerbers made me want even more... And in perfect timing, a friend was selling one... a ML Scout... now I gotta look for those with a wood saw and replaceable wire cutters... and a Black Oxide as well... Hmmm... and maybe a compact sport... aaargh :facepalm:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 05:03:47 PM
Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I have not had a chance to use yet, accept practicing flicking out the needle nose;)

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:28:32 PM
Tell me about it... always wanted to have a flicky MT... seeing those awesome Gerbers made me want even more... And in perfect timing, a friend was selling one... a ML Scout... now I gotta look for those with a wood saw and replaceable wire cutters... and a Black Oxide as well... Hmmm... and maybe a compact sport... aaargh :facepalm:

I've gone away from LM and grown in love with Gerber these last years. They have the best and biggest variety and diversity IMO.

Their MP400 and MP6'00s are beautifully "industrial", tough and reliable. I love the Pro-Scout and its exchangeable blades but I prefer the Diesel over it, as it has the flicking action plus other implements that make it an excellent stand-alone tool.

The MP600 I love the most is the carbide-cutter Blunt Nose, but my NN BO ones have been the smoothest and are nice to flick around, they just lack in the tool and versatility department (lack of scissors/lack of wood saw/lack of awl).

The Dime makes a nice keychain tool, not like the Clutch, Splice or Vise. I still want to handle the Octane and try out the MP1 and Center Drive. The Strata and Flik also got my attention but reviews make me not jump over the fence. The Grappler is an odd tool and a must try for me, I'm on the hunt for one.  ::)

Oddly enough my all time favorite Gerbers are the non-flickable MP800 and MP700.  :ahhh

They have an extraordinary plier head shape, ultra nice OHO blade and comfortable spring loaded pliers. Add the excellent scissors (like the Pro Scout's and Diesel's, they are truly wonderful) and sexy looks and you got there Gerber's masterpieces and flagship models IMO.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:12:36 AM
Another very recent convert here. I was enquiring about a flicky and not one but two offers came in - I went to turn one down but it was for a BO MP400 - Couldn't turn that on edown. It arrived and I'm completely sold on it. As The Peacant says, they are 'beautifully industrial'. I appreciate that you can easily mod them and have already removed the blade on mine making it fully legal to EDC.

I'm waiting for the MP600 from Toolslinger in Canada and am very excited - This one is bluntnosed, bladeless and has wood and metal saws. If anyone had said there was a MT out there that I would like more than the Spirit I wouldn't have believed them, but here we are!

WP_20170511_010 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Kev D

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 10:17:21 AM
I only bought it because of a few utube channels I follow are really pleased with theirs and have stopped carrying leatherman as a result, so wanted one to see how good they are. Not a convert here, the one I have now will be my only one (when it gets sorted). I'll stick with Leatherman and SOG.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 11:57:30 AM
My Diesel, Spirit and MP800 have become my 3 favorite large Multitools after all these years of search, trying out and stuff.
I'm definitely a Gerber convert, and that's the reason why I'm looking to get the Bullrush, Octane, Radius, etc. to see how they are and how much I like them.
That's also the reason why it bums me so much having "lost" my MP flicky to a member here, having he gotten the tool and not giving a reply, or me ever getting my part of the trade.  :-\

Someday I shall replace the flicky with another one, just because I love Gerber and I might end up making a collection of all the main models
My toys:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 03:52:15 AM
Sorry about the "lost" one Peacent :-\ I hope you find another just like it for very cheap :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%