Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

alternatives to carbide cutters

gav · 77 · 20906

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: alternatives to carbide cutters
Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 04:36:05 PM
Interesting Sam - is there a link to these?  :salute:

What I meant is that I cut those 2 pieces out of the blade of the shears. It's bought locally in a shop here.. My locally would be extremely far away from you....

Tbh, if I am able to cut the triangle and a hole in that metal, with simply a hacksaw and power drill, I doubt the hardness of that steel. But it still work way better than the original carbide gerber offers.. That, is how tragic the carbide insert is.. And, it's just $2 here.. It's like 1.4usd...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:22:35 PM by Sam Lim »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 02:47:23 AM
This is the shears I cut the 2 cutters from.
IMG_20170928_084404-780x1040.jpg
* IMG_20170928_084404-780x1040.jpg (Filesize: 121.06 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 10:03:13 AM
 :salute: Thanks Sam

50 - I will email them - I'll have to do it on a different pc as my work one won't allow access to 'weapon' sites  :facepalm: (if only they knew how ineffectual these things would be as weapons  :D )
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 04:05:32 AM
I have emailed Gerber a few times regarding the carbide cutters being inferior yet over-priced. I suggested making the same design cutters, just made out of some sort of hardened steel. I have not heard anything back from them. I wonder if MTO could start a petition or something? It would be such a simple fix if they would just do it.

I am happy to see that these "stand-ins" are available and somewhat compatible, though. :tu:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:06:48 AM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Offline vlelet

Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 06:30:05 PM
Anyone knows the specs for the screws that go with those carbide cutters?

Any third party screws that can replace the original ones?

Offline swannytheswan

• New User
Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 09:34:01 AM
I know this is an old topic but it just helped me with the same issue. I don't know how it will work but I just ordered these as a replacement its not that much cheaper than the gerber ones but it is made out of High Speed steel instead of carbide so it shouldn't shatter as easily. I will update how it works out when I get them. https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1724

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: July 15, 2018, 06:24:53 PM
I know this is an old topic but it just helped me with the same issue. I don't know how it will work but I just ordered these as a replacement its not that much cheaper than the gerber ones but it is made out of High Speed steel instead of carbide so it shouldn't shatter as easily. I will update how it works out when I get them. https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1724

Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

:popcorn:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 08:49:01 PM

Welcome to  :MTO:! And I'm eager to see your results, these cutters form Gerber are  :P  and no point in them having three sides, they'll shatter to pieces making the whole piece useless   :twak:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline swannytheswan

• New User
Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 03:08:59 AM
Alright gentlemen, they have arrived and while I'm not completely happy with them they fit and will probably work for most things I use them for...that said i will probably do some grinding on them to make them work better being HSS it is a better option than the garbage gerber tries to sell you that shatter the first time you use them. All I have tried to cut so far is paper clip which it cut easily and high tensile fence wire which it did not even with regular wire cutters that crap is hard but the failure there is due to the 7 degree angle it just isn't sharp enough. Here are some pics

Offline swannytheswan

• New User
Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 03:22:11 AM
If I can figure out how to hold them without burning myself I will grind the corners down a bit as the ones near the pivot drag a little bit.

Also I would like the angle increased as they mentioned above the shallower angle is stronger but that was in order to keep Carbide from shattering since these are made out of HSS I believe I could make the angle sharper and get away with it. I tried to find some that were sharper out of of the box but there are so few HSS insert available I was honestly lucky to find ones that fit.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 04:19:20 AM
If I can figure out how to hold them without burning myself I will grind the corners down a bit as the ones near the pivot drag a little bit.

Sounds like a job for LM Crunch (or any old locking pliers should do the job).  Please remember to wear your safety glasses and make sure the bits are gripped very securely when grinding. Also consider the effect of heat on the hardness of the metal.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:21:05 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline swannytheswan

• New User
Reply #41 on: July 24, 2018, 04:44:39 AM

Sounds like a job for LM Crunch (or any old locking pliers should do the job).  Please remember to wear your safety glasses and make sure the bits are gripped very securely when grinding. Also consider the effect of heat on the hardness of the metal.

Yeah corners wont be to bad but increasing the cutting angle will be to get the angles right and semetrical...HSS stays hard until nearly red hot should be pretty easy to keep it hard

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 08:46:27 PM
Welcome to the forum swanny, and thank you so much for sharing. :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 08:50:03 PM
They fit so well, and look great, and although not perfect, still miles better than those Gerber sells.
Why on Earth does Gerber not buy those in bulk, adjust the bevels, and resell them?
Hell, don't adjust the bevels. Just sell them like that, they're still better than the carbide ones.

us Offline GnatSwarm

• New User
Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 08:17:27 PM
(Sorry to necro this thread, but I didn’t think this information was worth starting a new thread for.)

I’ve found a potential source for HSS inserts.
https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/power-tools-accessories/high-speed-steel-cutters/20-degree-relief-thickness-094-radius-0156--sku080001067-61400-126849.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-080-001-067&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjK_j5oX63wIVyx-tBh0jvgLtEAQYAyABEgIKgfD_BwE

Note: I do not know which of these products, if any, are compatable with the geometry of a Gerber or Leatherman multitool.
-GnatSwarm
SOG PowerAccess (modded)
Vic Ranger
Gerber Curve

Machinists bang precision rocks against as-of-yet-non-precision rocks to create new precision rocks with no-longer-precision rocks as a byproduct.

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Reply #45 on: April 27, 2020, 10:04:04 PM
(Sorry to necro this thread, but I didn’t think this information was worth starting a new thread for.)

I’ve found a potential source for HSS inserts.
https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/power-tools-accessories/high-speed-steel-cutters/20-degree-relief-thickness-094-radius-0156--sku080001067-61400-126849.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-080-001-067&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjK_j5oX63wIVyx-tBh0jvgLtEAQYAyABEgIKgfD_BwE

Note: I do not know which of these products, if any, are compatable with the geometry of a Gerber or Leatherman multitool.

FWIW, I posted this to their Q&A section on these products and just got this response

"Your Question for 0 Degree Relief, Thickness: .125", Radius: .025" (080001066)[/size]Would this item be appropriate as an alternative to the brittle carbide inserts on a Gerber multitool?Current Answers:It will be less brittle, but it will be softer.By Customer Care from Brownells on 4/27/2020"

Not exactly groundbreaking info here, but I am intrigued by these inserts. For as little as I find myself using the cutters on my Center Drive+, I'm balking at dropping $16+S&H on a pair that may or not work. Any souls out there braver than I?
[/color]

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: April 29, 2020, 03:57:43 AM
I might! As soon as I'm back to work (and regain my ability to get a paycheck; being a pediatric O.T. in a school/clinic setting is close to last in the reopening plans from our government), I could get a pair. Somewhat cheaper than the OE's, with the possibility to last longer; sounds promising...  :dd:

Thanks for the info., 43n89w!  :tu:

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Reply #47 on: April 29, 2020, 04:15:05 PM
I might! As soon as I'm back to work (and regain my ability to get a paycheck; being a pediatric O.T. in a school/clinic setting is close to last in the reopening plans from our government), I could get a pair. Somewhat cheaper than the OE's, with the possibility to last longer; sounds promising...  :dd:

Thanks for the info., 43n89w!  :tu:

Best of luck on getting back to work in these crazy times. I eagerly await your findings! :popcorn:

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: April 29, 2020, 07:10:42 PM
 :hatsoff: :tu:

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 14, 2020, 04:04:43 AM

thanks for this link, just put in an order. Will certainly post a review of my thoughts.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #50 on: May 21, 2020, 09:07:41 AM
The best alternative is to hock the gerber and get a leatherman  :rofl:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #51 on: May 21, 2020, 09:11:49 AM
Lol but in all seriousnes, this is why I am always leery of replacable things being added to multitools, because usually it means it'll need replacing at some point. Likewise adjustable screws usually need tightened, even though peened rivets stay (mostly) tight forever. It's a money racket. :dunno:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Offline iUSolo

• New User
Reply #52 on: May 21, 2020, 04:33:47 PM
has anyone found an alternative carbide cutter to the overpriced gerber ones?
ive searched the web and may have something.i have them ordered from ebay and when i get them and if they work i'll post pics.
what i can tell you is the product no.is
TCMT 110204 CARBIDE CUTTER
the size of these ones match the gerber ones.i paid 8 euros for a set of ten.
like i said,when they arrive i'll see if they fit.they should though.
it would cost me 50 euros to get 2 of the original gerber ones on amazon.
keep you posted.

gav.
Hi, I bought a pack of 10 of these inserts to one of these large Asian megastores online and they fit well in the MP 600 socket. I've cut ø 1.5 mm iron wire  but I'm quite sure that will flatter if I try with ø 3.0 mm tempered iron wire... At least the tool is complete again. Thx for the advice!
IMG_20200521_163240.jpg
* IMG_20200521_163240.jpg (Filesize: 323.82 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2020, 05:04:14 PM
Lol but in all seriousnes, this is why I am always leery of replacable things being added to multitools, because usually it means it'll need replacing at some point. Likewise adjustable screws usually need tightened, even though peened rivets stay (mostly) tight forever. It's a money racket. :dunno:

:iagree: Also doesn’t help when the replaceable cutters are weaker than the non-replaceable ones.

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: May 21, 2020, 07:36:10 PM
Hi, I bought a pack of 10 of these inserts to one of these large Asian megastores online and they fit well in the MP 600 socket. I've cut ø 1.5 mm iron wire  but I'm quite sure that will flatter if I try with ø 3.0 mm tempered iron wire... At least the tool is complete again. Thx for the advice!

iUSolo, can you provide a link/description? Thanks :hatsoff:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #55 on: May 21, 2020, 09:51:39 PM
My Center-Drive cutter just shattered, but I noticed why. I had placed the coat hanger I was cutting just a bit below the hard wire notch. Now I see the bad rep they get. 

But seriously--I don't care what I do, at worst, I've chipped the 154CM Leatherman cutters; and they've handled far worse than a coat hanger. At the worst, I've dinged MP400 and Mr. Pinchy cutters. And LM cutters are often cheaper than LM. Gerber produces folders at their Portand facility in S30V and 154CM. I see no reason why they just can't make cutters in 154CM out of steel they likely already have on hand as opposed to carbide cutters sourced from a third party that are fragile as heck.

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 28, 2020, 11:24:41 PM
Definitely an improvement, much better performance in stranded wire. Still not as good as the cutters in my Rebar but at least I’m not afraid to use them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: May 30, 2020, 03:34:50 AM
Goid to know, gafftapegreenia, glad they work! Thanks for the info., and picture.
 :cheers: :tu:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 04:08:57 PM
I'd love to get those little machineshop hss cutters, but they're backordered. :/

Charles.

• No Life Club
alternatives to carbide cutters
Reply #59 on: June 05, 2020, 12:55:43 AM
I'd love to get those little machineshop hss cutters, but they're backordered. :/

Charles.
I bet they’re scratching their heads as to why they’ve received a sudden influx of orders for those inserts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%