Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #120 on: August 16, 2017, 08:42:39 PM
It's no Vic hook but it sure works!!
1502908904742.jpg
* 1502908904742.jpg (Filesize: 100.27 KB)
1502908933772.jpg
* 1502908933772.jpg (Filesize: 107.57 KB)
Barry

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:11 PM
A wire edge is a definite possibility but in my experience with those, he'd have been lucky to get through one bag of topsoil before noticing a lack of cutting ability.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #122 on: August 17, 2017, 09:22:34 AM
I have found that almost without exception, factory edges do not stay sharp as long as they do after a couple of hand re-sharpenings. I believe it has to do with the edge having been overheated during the factory machine sharpening process. This is why I always chuckle when I read people complaining about out of the box sharpness.
I'm one of those guys who complain...
I believe that if I buy a knife, it should be ready to use. So, without a sharp edge, to me that is buying an unfinished product.
Sadly, for many MT manufacturers this is not where it ends. Frame that needs some file work so it does not bloody your hands are fairly common. We are approaching more and more the IKEA model and in 20 years all you need to make your MT ready for use is a belt-grinder a forge and some black-smithing skills

* ikea.jpg (Filesize: 55.52 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: August 17, 2017, 09:53:09 PM
Sharp edge, how sharp of an edge? My wife at first was apprehensive about me keeping our kitchen knives very sharp. Now she can't stand working with a dullish knife. If you intend to strip wire with your knife you probably want a 50 degree angle. If you are going to use it for delicate work than a 20 degree angle is preferable. If it is for push cutting primarily than a polished edge is required. For slicing, a toothy edge. Regardless you will need to sharpen your knife at some point, so to me the analogy is more like buying a new car and complaining that there is only an 1/8th of a tank of gas in it.

Just my $.02 :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:31 PM
Sharp edge, how sharp of an edge? My wife at first was apprehensive about me keeping our kitchen knives very sharp. Now she can't stand working with a dullish knife. If you intend to strip wire with your knife you probably want a 50 degree angle. If you are going to use it for delicate work than a 20 degree angle is preferable. If it is for push cutting primarily than a polished edge is required. For slicing, a toothy edge. Regardless you will need to sharpen your knife at some point, so to me the analogy is more like buying a new car and complaining that there is only an 1/8th of a tank of gas in it.

Just my $.02 :D
You are overthinking it. It should perform at basic cutting tasks: cardboard, wood etc.
But if you can't cut a fruit (apple) with it, then its dull, no discussion needed.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: August 18, 2017, 12:09:02 AM
And if you cut that piece of fruit on a china plate you now have a knife that is too dull to cut a piece of fruit. So the important thing is that it was able to cut the fruit in the first place :think:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #126 on: August 18, 2017, 05:31:48 AM
I wonder if people are selling factory seconds of the CD? My factory direct CD was perfect. One I got from an ebay listing as a backup had issues that I resolved. I know Bear & Sons lets people buy seconds, but didn't think Gerber did.

A question to those who bought CDs for less than retail or ordered on an outside site. Does yours have issues.

A question to those who bought CDs for retail direct from Gerber. Does yours have issues?

For everyone who bought a CD. Did you bother contacting Gerber before bothering with these adjustments to edges/blades?

Surely a small shipping cost & wait outweighs these time consuming deburring and sharpening tasks?
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #127 on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:13 AM
And if you cut that piece of fruit on a china plate you now have a knife that is too dull to cut a piece of fruit. So the important thing is that it was able to cut the fruit in the first place :think:
Cutting on a porcelain plate is an abuse/wrong use of a knife and it should not be expected to stay sharp.

Apply that to a car. Buying a factory new knife with a dull blade, is like buying a brand new car with run-down tires. You have to invest time and money before you can use it. And before you say, tires have to be bought, remember that sharpening is not for free. A sharpening system from Spyderco or Lansky costs as much as a knife (and requires training, which is time, which is money) and unless you have really a lot of knives you cannot split the cost. Tires on the other hand only cost a tiny fraction of what a car costs.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #128 on: August 18, 2017, 01:19:54 PM
Both my son and I got ours from Gerber.  Mine came without issues except a not so sharp blade.  He is on his second one.  His first had issues with the pivot point at the pliers when opened.  It felt like the spring was binding, not smooth like mine.  I'm not sure what the QC issues are at the plant.  It's almost like the old days of Monday-Friday cars.  I agree on the sharpness issue, but maybe I'm spoiled by Victorinox.
Barry

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: August 18, 2017, 10:19:45 PM
Last week I started to cut up a medium sized cardboard box that had come from China.  After about 12 - 18 inches of cutting the edge had been completely wiped smooth. You could safely drag it across your palm. So I guess we need to add cutting cardboard to the abuse/wrong use list for knives.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #130 on: August 19, 2017, 02:27:06 AM
Edit: deleted because I misunderstood what I read. Sorry ??? Please forgive me moderators!  :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:59:10 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #131 on: August 20, 2017, 11:34:08 PM
Some zip strap trimming action!
IMG_20170820_171045.jpg
* IMG_20170820_171045.jpg (Filesize: 348.44 KB)
Barry

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #132 on: August 20, 2017, 11:50:38 PM
Some zip strap trimming action!
Don't forget to apply for your badge!   :tu:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #133 on: August 20, 2017, 11:52:41 PM
Thanks for reminding me!!  :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: August 26, 2017, 12:28:43 AM
Plier spring has been giving me some trouble with this one, hopefully I can work it out. Whenever you have to apply pressure to the pliers, they tend to stay clamped shut instead of springing back open. I'm hoping it's just new MT stiffness. I can't stand to be away from it again! :ahhh :ahhh
DSCN2740.JPG
* DSCN2740.JPG (Filesize: 263.19 KB)
Send In the spartans

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #135 on: August 26, 2017, 02:59:39 AM
I used some new 3-in-1 silcone-based  lubricant on mine and it took care of the slight gritty feeling. Maybe it will help your CD's stickiness?

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: August 27, 2017, 02:47:43 AM
Ok, thanks gerleatherberman! :cheers:
Send In the spartans

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #137 on: August 28, 2017, 09:05:50 PM
Gave mine some hard use installing lights and sockets for my sister yesterday.  It did very well though was a pain for some screws tight to a wall and could only do a 1/4 turn at a time, but other than that it was great. 

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:45 PM
Nice Kevin! :tu: Mine hasn't had a job yet today, but I'm sure something will come up :D
DSCN2813.JPG
* DSCN2813.JPG (Filesize: 285.9 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #139 on: August 29, 2017, 04:34:50 AM
Great pic my man!!
Barry

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: August 29, 2017, 07:37:18 PM
Thanks! I knew I'd find a job for it to do. :D
DSCN2817.JPG
* DSCN2817.JPG (Filesize: 258.9 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: September 05, 2017, 11:11:35 PM
Had mine camping over the weekend, lots of rain the past few days :cheers:
0902171540d.jpg
* 0902171540d.jpg (Filesize: 142.14 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #142 on: September 06, 2017, 12:59:24 AM

:like:

Rain... I think I remember what that's like  :think:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #143 on: September 06, 2017, 01:18:05 AM
Nice picture!
How's it holding up surface rust wise? I have not gotten mine wet yet, so I don't know if it will spot up yet.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: September 06, 2017, 01:28:27 AM
Nice picture!
How's it holding up surface rust wise? I have not gotten mine wet yet, so I don't know if it will spot up yet.

So far no issues, there looks like some spots may be starting at the pivot point for the pliers. Other than that, it's doing well :tu:

:like:

Rain... I think I remember what that's like  :think:

:rofl:  :cheers:
Send In the spartans

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: September 06, 2017, 01:29:49 PM
Thanks Spartan!
Good to know! I will make sure to oil up the pivots before I take mine out on a wet day. :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: September 06, 2017, 03:49:28 PM
No prob buddy :cheers:
Send In the spartans

england Offline Kev D

Reply #147 on: September 11, 2017, 03:52:55 PM
I've used my CD a lot lately to give it a really good working over to see how it handles it. After a shaky start with QC issues on the pliers, I am very happy with how robust it is.

I use the pry bar/nail puller for the first time on Saturday and really made it work hard. So hard that I braced myself for it to break but it didn't. Now I know it can take that sort of use, I can use it with confidence. Gerber carbide cutters still suck though, they chip way to easily.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #148 on: September 11, 2017, 09:56:50 PM
I've used my CD a lot lately to give it a really good working over to see how it handles it. After a shaky start with QC issues on the pliers, I am very happy with how robust it is.

I use the pry bar/nail puller for the first time on Saturday and really made it work hard. So hard that I braced myself for it to break but it didn't. Now I know it can take that sort of use, I can use it with confidence. Gerber carbide cutters still suck though, they chip way to easily.

The pry tool can actually do proper pry tool work? Now there's a surprise Kev.  :o I saw your thread on wanting a Gerber Phillips, and the first thing I thought was "he's killed his pry tool"

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: September 11, 2017, 10:06:44 PM

The pry tool can actually do proper pry tool work? Now there's a surprise Kev.  :o I saw your thread on wanting a Gerber Phillips, and the first thing I thought was "he's killed his pry tool"
Good to know I was unlucky and its not a problem with all pry tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%