Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #150 on: September 11, 2017, 10:19:04 PM
I've used my CD a lot lately to give it a really good working over to see how it handles it. After a shaky start with QC issues on the pliers, I am very happy with how robust it is.

I use the pry bar/nail puller for the first time on Saturday and really made it work hard. So hard that I braced myself for it to break but it didn't. Now I know it can take that sort of use, I can use it with confidence. Gerber carbide cutters still suck though, they chip way to easily.

The pry tool can actually do proper pry tool work? Now there's a surprise Kev.  :o I saw your thread on wanting a Gerber Phillips, and the first thing I thought was "he's killed his pry tool"
Good to know I was unlucky and its not a problem with all pry tools.

Yours was more what I expected actually, Beat

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #151 on: September 12, 2017, 10:16:03 AM
I've used my CD a lot lately to give it a really good working over to see how it handles it. After a shaky start with QC issues on the pliers, I am very happy with how robust it is.

I use the pry bar/nail puller for the first time on Saturday and really made it work hard. So hard that I braced myself for it to break but it didn't. Now I know it can take that sort of use, I can use it with confidence. Gerber carbide cutters still suck though, they chip way to easily.

The pry tool can actually do proper pry tool work? Now there's a surprise Kev.  :o I saw your thread on wanting a Gerber Phillips, and the first thing I thought was "he's killed his pry tool"

Yep it can actually do proper pry tool work. The philips is for the multiplier I just got, it's a bit chewed up so want to replace it. The CD has a few use scratches and a chipped cutter in the pliers but is otherwise all great so far.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #152 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:38 AM

Have you broken yours?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #153 on: September 12, 2017, 11:24:42 AM

Have you broken yours?

He chipped it trying to pry a brass upholstery nail (or something like that)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #154 on: September 12, 2017, 12:17:38 PM

Have you broken yours?

Yup. A brass nail.  :facepalm: :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #155 on: September 12, 2017, 02:12:43 PM

Have you broken yours?

Yup. A brass nail.  :facepalm: :rofl:
Not to mention that I don't like using a plastic part as pivot for prying...

Here is my thread for reference, shame that I broke that wooden spatula...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #156 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:24 PM
I had a lot more meat of mine under what I prying. I'll test to see if the end of mine is that brittle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #157 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:12 AM
I had a lot more meat of mine under what I prying. I'll test to see if the end of mine is that brittle
Hope yours doesn't break.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #158 on: November 15, 2017, 05:30:28 PM
So I received a Gerber Center Drive today and... I had to immediately call up the place I got it from to ask for a replacement. I'm sending this back tomorrow. They're shipping me a new one right away. Outnorth's customer service is outstanding!

So what was the problem? First off, the pliers were ever so slightly misaligned. The tips were a little off. Second, the bit holder had a bit of flash left on it. You can see a clear cut line near the tip of the bit holder where they had not  cut off the excess material from the production.  We're  talking like 0.5cm of material left on past this point.

And third, worst of all... The bit holder had a substantial crack in it lengthwise, about 0.6cm long from the tip of the bit holder.  You could even see light through this crack. So it's not a question of IF it'll fail, but WHEN the entire bit holder will crack in half. Gerber QC fail. I'll post a picture later today. Here's hoping I get a good one the second time. My MP600 bluntnose has been flawless from the first day and is a beast.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:31:38 PM by WiseDuck »

england Offline Kev D

Reply #159 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:56 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes, hopefully it gets sorted quickly for you.

I had the same problem with my pliers https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71930.msg1480239.html#msg1480239

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #160 on: November 15, 2017, 11:16:33 PM
Actually, when I look at the pliers again, they appear to be acceptable. They're NOWHERE near as bad as yours. This, however, is unacceptable and would've led to a premature failure of the bit holder. And with a bit inside, I can visibly widen the crack ever so slightly by pushing the bit sideways. Also, what's up with all that material past the cut line? It does not look like this in the official pictures.
IMG_0131.jpg
* IMG_0131.jpg (Filesize: 179.83 KB)

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #161 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:02 PM
Another.
IMG_0128.JPG
* IMG_0128.JPG (Filesize: 141.01 KB)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #162 on: November 16, 2017, 12:27:29 AM
I've got 2 CD's and both of them are cut like that, so I think that's normal.
The crack definitely isn't though. That needs exchanging for a new one.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #163 on: November 16, 2017, 05:10:07 AM
This thread does not inspire confidence in the product.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #164 on: November 16, 2017, 08:59:02 AM
This thread does not inspire confidence in the product.

This isn't the first new tool out there that has been like this, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Every manufacturer has and will do it at some point. Although it's more than a little annoying to us the consumers, how they deal with their lack of QA tells a lot about the company.  I sent mine back to Gerber with the plier issue and it was replaced. SO they have had crap QC at the moment but have a great warranty department (even though they can't spell United Kingdom correctly on their warranty page).

england Offline Kev D

Reply #165 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:33 AM
Another.

Yep mines the same. The battered looking part of the sloped bit has been caused by me using and abusing it at work.

2017-11-16_08-01-23 by Kevin Davey, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:06:09 AM by Kevin Davey »

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #166 on: November 16, 2017, 11:26:12 AM
Yeah, Gerber likes to say that any product in the US is "proudly made" there on the package. If you're so proud of the product, then at least try to make sure no bad products get through QC. Tell the quality control people to slow down a little so they can spot these obvious flaws. That crack was even visible through the blister packaging, but I had to open it to make sure. In hindsight, I should've just refused the package and returned the product right away. Thankfully, I only had to wait a day for a replacement. I'll report back later today after I've received the replacement Center Drive.

Overall, the CD has received glowing reviews across the web. Especially on Youtube where I would say that about 90% of the big review channels love it. But time will tell how well it'll hold up. My initial impression is that it might have two weak spots; the screw and large discs that hold the knife and bit holder in place. How well can these resist a twisting motion? I don't know. I've seen pics of sheared off screws. On my MP600, the center axle that all tools sit on go through the frame of the tool, so they are all supported on both sides, then the screws go into this axle. So any twisting forces will go through the frame of the knife and not the screw on the side. Will the bit holder itself hold up over time? It's a cast piece and the walls that surround the bit itself seem to be somewhat thin, with two large holes on either side of the bit for some reason. (Is this to make the installation of the magnet easier? Can't they just put a bead of glue down there from the top and then shove the magnet down there?)

I'm not saying this is a very common thing, but I think that it could be a weak spot. Anyone else agree?

Don't get me wrong, I do like Gerber and own a good chunk of their products, but I will happily criticize any company out there, whose products I own. Even Victorinox, even they can have spotty QC, though it's far less common. My "Walker" models saw actually got stuck on the frame whenever I tried to close it. I had to bend the saw the other way to get it to close reliably without the teeth digging into the frame. So the soft aluminium frame actually got pretty dinged up in one spot after that.
Capture.jpg
* Capture.jpg (Filesize: 63.86 KB)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:30:41 AM by WiseDuck »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #167 on: November 16, 2017, 01:14:03 PM
I hit it lucky with my Center Drive, and I"ve had a Gator for years, but my son picked up a Gator machete and it was really smurfed up steel wise.  He also wound up returning his original CD and having another sent to him, this time with better luck.  I love their tools, but QC appears to be a HUGE issue and the metallurgy issues strike me as strange for a company that's been in the business for as long as they have.  That being said, I love my CD!  I'm in the Challenge and have really grown to appreciate this beast.  I will say one thing: Gerber warranty service is top notch.
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #168 on: November 16, 2017, 04:07:11 PM
A pic from the CD challenge.  Really liking this tool! 
IMG_20171116_100350_hdr.jpg
* IMG_20171116_100350_hdr.jpg (Filesize: 268.9 KB)
Barry

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #169 on: November 16, 2017, 05:03:56 PM
I'm happy to report that my second CD is pretty much perfect! Perfectly aligned pliers, no cracks in the bit holder, the knife is better finished and so on. Yay! Pictures will be posted later today after work.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #170 on: November 16, 2017, 05:10:18 PM
I'm happy to report that my second CD is pretty much perfect! Perfectly aligned pliers, no cracks in the bit holder, the knife is better finished and so on. Yay! Pictures will be posted later today after work.

Nice one  :tu:

Glad you got it sorted out quickly

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #171 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:42 PM
Outstanding!!!
Barry

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #172 on: November 16, 2017, 11:06:08 PM
Just two small pics. Everything is a bit stiff of course, but it'll loosen up in time, just like my MP600 did. I will apply a bit of oil to all the joints anyway, to speed up the process a bit.
IMG_0136.jpg
* IMG_0136.jpg (Filesize: 127.54 KB)
IMG_0134.jpg
* IMG_0134.jpg (Filesize: 101.81 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #173 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:33 PM
That's more like it Wise Duck!  You'll love it!
Barry

Offline Mavericky11

Reply #174 on: November 30, 2017, 12:07:59 AM
I just bought one on Amazon for $51! Btw it's also on sale right now for  $59.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #175 on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:28 AM
 :like:  :like: That's a phenomenal price!!
Barry

england Offline Kev D

Reply #176 on: December 06, 2017, 05:03:33 PM
After carrying it daily for the last 30 days for the challenge I automatically picked mine up this morning

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #177 on: December 06, 2017, 08:35:09 PM
Me too!!
Barry

england Offline Kev D

Reply #178 on: December 06, 2017, 10:09:43 PM
Glad it's not just me

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #179 on: December 07, 2017, 12:29:28 PM
Glad it's not just me

good indicator that it is a good tool   :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%