Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #240 on: September 14, 2018, 05:52:16 AM
Im definetly getting now this tool, offer was just way too superb to bypass.

Only Tools Matters

Offline mtoolman

Reply #241 on: September 14, 2018, 10:01:11 AM
I was seriously thinking about the Center Drive a few days ago, but some negative reviews on the cutters shattering in youtube reviews and also having no scissors made me to go for other models.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:11:49 AM by mtoolman »

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #242 on: September 16, 2018, 09:26:15 AM
Im getting my newest tool in few days, i read also those shattering cutters but i think im not gonna use those so much that would actually bother me and deal was so good that i just couldnt resist offer. 30€ for it isnt bad price

Only Tools Matters

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #243 on: September 16, 2018, 09:57:12 AM
Im getting my newest tool in few days, i read also those shattering cutters but i think im not gonna use those so much that would actually bother me and deal was so good that i just couldnt resist offer. 30€ for it isnt bad price

Only Tools Matters

Wow that is so unfair, cheapest I've seen here is 110€.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #244 on: September 16, 2018, 10:07:34 AM

Only Tools Matters

Well also here its around 110€ but i got email cause i had buying annoucment on MTs so this guy emailed me and offered his tool for 30€.
He told me that he havent used after he gotted as gift this. He didnt have clue what it was cause he introducet it Gerber Leatherman i saw pictures of it and immediatly saw it was centerdrive and after that i sealed deal

Only Tools Matters

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #245 on: September 16, 2018, 10:12:03 AM

Only Tools Matters

Well also here its around 110€ but i got email cause i had buying annoucment on MTs so this guy emailed me and offered his tool for 30€.
He told me that he havent used after he gotted as gift this. He didnt have clue what it was cause he introducet it Gerber Leatherman i saw pictures of it and immediatly saw it was centerdrive and after that i sealed deal

Only Tools Matters

Good deal.   :tu:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #246 on: September 16, 2018, 10:16:05 AM

Only Tools Matters

Only Tools Matters

Good deal.   :tu:
Thanks, its gonna be my first Gerber and im eager to see hoe good it is after all

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #247 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:10 PM
Ok today got my newest addition and my first ever Gerber. I was suprised size of this tool

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #248 on: September 19, 2018, 03:59:48 AM
It's a handful of tool, but you will find it will stand up to anything.  I've used mine for everything and it keeps coming back for more.  If I could change one thing, it would be to substitute the serrated blade for a saw.  If I did that, the only thing that would keep me from carrying it all the time is the size.  It's not so much big as it is wide on the belt, with the bit kit. 
Barry

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #249 on: October 06, 2018, 07:17:39 AM
After quite a few months I am disappointed in the CenterDrive. It is not robust, and the small tools and cutter and knife roll, bend, chip too easily.

It is a great LIGHT-use too only.  But nothing heavy. The driver is not as long as my LM Surge with extension. And is as awkward feeling as many MT drivers.

Why the cheap or poorly heat-treated metal for the tools? 

Is this Chinese parts assembled in USA? Not being cheeky. I am curious. Not that I blame China for Gerber quality control practices.

CenterDrive Idea is good. Execution is of uneven quality, especially metal and/or heat treatment.

Ironically my low priced Gerber Evolution, essentially a Suspension, has proven more durable. To say nothing of my Leatherman  or Victorinox MTs.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #250 on: October 06, 2018, 03:04:59 PM
You aren't alone in your findings.  I don't understand why Gerber had the issues they do either.  I agree with the whole Suspension series in that it feels so much better than most of the rest of the lineup quality wise!

I'm beginning to think that I have the sole Center Drive without issues.  I've borderline abused it and it just keeps on taking it.
Barry

Offline mtoolman

Reply #251 on: October 06, 2018, 04:32:08 PM
Are there officially considerable differences in quality and durability of the tools Made in China and Made in USA?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #252 on: October 06, 2018, 05:42:09 PM
Are there officially considerable differences in quality and durability of the tools Made in China and Made in USA?

That's a can of worms. Good and bad products can be made anywhere, however some companies contracting out manufacturing to the lowest bidder, are prepared to accept quality compromises for that low purchase price. Quality sadly is often given lower priority than margins and intended sales price. Judge the tools on their own individual strengths and weaknesses, and not country of origin.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #253 on: October 06, 2018, 06:52:33 PM

That's a can of worms. Good and bad products can be made anywhere, however some companies contracting out manufacturing to the lowest bidder, are prepared to accept quality compromises for that low purchase price. Quality sadly is often given lower priority than margins and intended sales price. Judge the tools on their own individual strengths and weaknesses, and not country of origin.

This is very true. I have had a few cheap Coast knives for years. One a liner lock with G10 scales, 9cr18MoV steel. Still solid lock-up, no blade play. Not a refined looking piece of engineering, or the lightest knife around. But not rolling or chipping. Needs resharpening or stropping now and then, but less than some of my LM 420HC multi tool blades. After a lot of use over a year, I went and bought two more. Point being, most reviewers won't even review Chinese-made Coast knives. Snobbery. I have held some darn fine Chinese knives. Kershaw also proves the point of potential Chinese quality. Uneven, maybe, but if the contracting company enforces materials specs and QC the end product can be excellent. (Haven't gone Ganzo yet, though, on MTs. The exposed spring bothers me.)     
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:59:35 PM by israelpiper »

Offline mtoolman

Reply #254 on: October 06, 2018, 11:51:57 PM
My MP400 and MP600 have no stamps or marking saying where they are made in, so I am assuming they are all made in China.

They seem working OK, and very durable so far.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #255 on: October 08, 2018, 05:44:13 PM

:iagree:Very true! I am on my second USA made Center drive, as the first one I had had some problems with the pliers, While I have had the same Chinese made suspension for 7 years now, and have never had any trouble with it, despite putting it through the wringer on several occasions. Some are good, some are not so good. I am pretty much done buying Gerber products now, as the last few products I've bought from them haven't been that good. It's not the Same gerber that I new and loved
Send In the spartans

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #256 on: October 08, 2018, 07:49:49 PM
 :iagree:
Barry

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #257 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:36 AM
I am getting a little tired of all the "excellent warranty service" of this or that multi-tool firm. They factor in a substantial return and replacement scheme in their prices, as anyone here who knows business will agree. Nothing is given away gratis. Great warranty--but NOT great quality control. Imagine an arms manufacturer selling assault rifles to a nation's armed forces based on poor to mediocre quality control, but a cheerful and prompt returns and replacement warranty service. Battlefield disasters would abound.

Many much more complicated devices than multi-tools are made, with far better quality control. My wife's Daihatsu Sirion has gone ten years with only standard maintenance and tune-ups. Not one breakdown.

I would rather true quality and endurance. So far, only my LM Surge, LM SuperTool 300, Victorinox SwissTool, and Victorinox Spirit come pretty close to the mark. On my other MTs from various other firms, many of the smaller tools are woefully below the quality of the main tools. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:33:46 AM by israelpiper »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #258 on: October 09, 2018, 02:46:18 PM
I agree my friend!  Not to keep beating a dead horse, but Gerber has been at the multitool game almost as long as Leatherman and has had all kinds of QC issues.  I don't know what is going on in Portland, but Fiskars management should take a trip down from everything I've read here over the years.  I own 3 Gerber mts, the Center Drive, 400, and the new NXT.  I've not had issues with them, but my BG hatchet chipped at the edges after only very light duty and my son's machete was pathetic.  Ultimately, I've spent most of my adult life in one uniform or the other, and the only one I'd stake life and limb on is Victorinox.
Barry

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #259 on: October 09, 2018, 06:49:07 PM
I fear that uneven quality control, coupled with the generous and courteous returns and replacement policies, has become an established business model.

The MT works best as an on the belt or in the pack or glove compartment "always there" mini tool kit. If I have a problem I need the MT then and there, not the warranty honoured later, cheerfully done and dusted by a future employee of the year.

Screwdrivers that strip first use, nail pulls that snap on real nails, serrated knives that struggle to cut rope, make me want to return to a custom tool roll for pack and auto.

Top of the line LM and Victorinox are all I would seriously rely on. Rebar is decent around the house or tent.   I love the SOG pliers, but again small tools are a little flimsy. Gerber got me excited with the CenterDrive. My fault in part.
This rant is done...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 06:51:39 PM by israelpiper »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #260 on: October 10, 2018, 11:25:43 AM
 :iagree:
The abundance of overwhelmingly positive "reviews" on the tube baited a lot of people, combined with the aggressive promotion of it by Gerber.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #261 on: October 10, 2018, 03:30:42 PM
First, I was thinking about the Centre Drive seriously, but found a lot of aspects were not convincing.
So I went for the cheaper MP400 and MP600, and they are fine. No markings where they are made in, but all seem working OK.

I think I was lucky.  All MTs have good and bad points - even LM Surge and SWISSTOOLS.

MP400 and 600 also have plenty bad points, but I like their good points.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #262 on: October 10, 2018, 04:43:25 PM
First, I was thinking about the Centre Drive seriously, but found a lot of aspects were not convincing.
So I went for the cheaper MP400 and MP600, and they are fine. No markings where they are made in, but all seem working OK.

I think I was lucky.  All MTs have good and bad points - even LM Surge and SWISSTOOLS.

Good and bad points are one thing. Inferior materials and heat treatment are another.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #263 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:26 PM

Good and bad points are one thing. Inferior materials and heat treatment are another.

Saw some adverts for CenterDrive in half price sale.
Time to reduce the price for the model?

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #264 on: October 14, 2018, 12:13:48 AM
Must be, they are to the point where even Walmart is carrying the cd now :multi:
IMG_20181013_181214.jpg
* IMG_20181013_181214.jpg (Filesize: 514.55 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #265 on: November 26, 2018, 11:43:44 PM
 :multi:
IMG_20181126_174224.jpg
* IMG_20181126_174224.jpg (Filesize: 329.39 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #266 on: November 26, 2018, 11:49:27 PM
Awesome picture!!
Barry

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #267 on: December 17, 2018, 06:55:17 PM
I am pretty much in love with mine,it has changed my life in a way!

I really just use the Pliers and Driver but they seem to me to be better than anything else I have tried,including the Vic.

Only Time will tell I suppose?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #268 on: December 17, 2018, 07:02:08 PM
I love mine!!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #269 on: December 18, 2018, 02:16:44 AM
Here's mine!
IMG_20181217_201559.jpg
* IMG_20181217_201559.jpg (Filesize: 231.39 KB)
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD