Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 02:10:00 PM
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 04:25:43 PM

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 08:05:37 PM
Sorry to hear you had a rough time with it Kevin. It is a shame these issues were predictable from the moment these tools were released, without even needing to handle them.

I'm sticking with my prediction that these will be discontinued by 2019 at the very latest. However, I do hope you get a serviceable tool back, and you do manage to get some decent use out of it before the pivot wear renders it unusable again, or the investment cast parts fail.  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline Kev D

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 10:16:45 PM
Sorry to hear you had a rough time with it Kevin. It is a shame these issues were predictable from the moment these tools were released, without even needing to handle them.

I'm sticking with my prediction that these will be discontinued by 2019 at the very latest. However, I do hope you get a serviceable tool back, and you do manage to get some decent use out of it before the pivot wear renders it unusable again, or the investment cast parts fail.  :salute:

Thank you  :tu:

I'm guessing you're not a gerber fan

Offline mikekoz

Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 01:19:28 AM

I just got one one of these, and it appears very solid. What are you basing this on?  ???

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 12:22:41 PM

I am actually. I think I might still have more Gerbers than Leatherman. Big fan of the MP400, MP600, Diesel and even the much maligned Dime.

I just got one one of these, and it appears very solid. What are you basing this on?  ???

25 years in mechanical engineering, and a lot of experience with the Gerber MP700. I have a thread somewhere highlighting the wear that occurs on spring plier heads, showing photos of my own MP700s - one that is essentially unused, and another that wore out very quickly. You can see side by side shots of the effects of the wear. The play that develops means the cutters can clash and disintegrate if used right handed, and have a substantial air gap if used left handed.

As for the investment cast parts, castings are strong under compression, not tension or torsion - although I must admit, I am still waiting for my first pics of the failed driver arm and pry tool.

Ironically, I still like the MP700, but it wears out significantly faster than other tools

england Offline Kev D

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2017, 05:10:30 PM
If mine wears out it will be a really crappy tool, I doubt it will see much heavy duty use, I use a Surge for that.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:51 PM

I am actually. I think I might still have more Gerbers than Leatherman. Big fan of the MP400, MP600, Diesel and even the much maligned Dime.

25 years in mechanical engineering, and a lot of experience with the Gerber MP700. I have a thread somewhere highlighting the wear that occurs on spring plier heads, showing photos of my own MP700s - one that is essentially unused, and another that wore out very quickly. You can see side by side shots of the effects of the wear. The play that develops means the cutters can clash and disintegrate if used right handed, and have a substantial air gap if used left handed.

As for the investment cast parts, castings are strong under compression, not tension or torsion - although I must admit, I am still waiting for my first pics of the failed driver arm and pry tool.

Ironically, I still like the MP700, but it wears out significantly faster than other tools

Could we have a link for that thread, please?   :cheers:
The MP700 is an absolute favorite of mine, and my favorite "fits in the coin pocket" MT.

I'd be so sad if it lost its "springyness" and it became worn out so quick.

Such a nice tool, compact and with a complete toolset, it's not good news to hear that this issue affects the MP700/800 series!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 06:05:10 PM

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 09:45:36 PM
I just ordered one and can hardly wait for it to arrive!  If it works out, my son is going to order one too. 
Barry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:26 AM
Kevin, I am sorry I missed this earlier.  Crap, if I'd have known that it was messed up I wouldn't have sent it.  I'm sorry and quite horrified by this. 

I really like the Center Drive myself, but if I had those issues with mine I'd have been super pissed too.

If there's anything I can do to help you out with this just let me know.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: June 01, 2017, 01:27:16 AM
Mines winging it's way back to Gerber now.  They will only do the repair/replace from their factory in Portland. If it was a leatherman I could have sent it to their UK main distributor, another black mark for Gerber.

I had a good look at it before I parceled up, you'd have thought they would have had a U shank saw adapter instead of the serrated blade. When it gets back to me in 6 to 8 weeks time it will be a mod to do.  I could also mod some scissors from a SAK to fit in a U shank adapter.
Being "made in the USA" is a strong selling feature (usually meaning much higher qualities) for companies in the US and a point of pride for the citizens too.

It's all good unless that Gerber employees been boozing it on the job like the fella who put together your CD... lol  :drink:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: June 01, 2017, 02:13:57 AM
Not trying to blindly defend Gerber, but most manufacturers have had issues with first run tools and the quality thereof.

It's frustrating that this happened, but Gerber is hardly the first or only one these issues have showed up in.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 11:58:33 AM
Kevin, I am sorry I missed this earlier.  Crap, if I'd have known that it was messed up I wouldn't have sent it.  I'm sorry and quite horrified by this. 

I really like the Center Drive myself, but if I had those issues with mine I'd have been super pissed too.

If there's anything I can do to help you out with this just let me know.

Def

I knew you wouldn't be happy that it wasn't right, but these things happen. It was as easy to send direct to Gerber as it was to you so I just sent it to them. I figured you had your hands full with the new store so didn't bother you with it.

I'm disappointed in Gerber as there will most likely be a batch with the same defect, and they haven't got my country spelled correctly on their warranty page which should have been an easy one to get right.

It's already on the way back to me, or rather the replacement is, so I certainly have no complaints about their warranty service.

A local store has them on sale over here. When you take the exchange rate into account, it is still cheaper to buy them from the MTO store, and the ones on sale here don't come with the bit kit like the one I got from you has. So they are a bargain for us Brits.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:00:17 PM by Kevin Davey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: June 02, 2017, 12:44:36 PM
Well that's good at least.  I'm glad that Gerber is going the distance to look after you.  Their customer service is excellent.   :tu:

Def

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 08:32:47 PM
What a beast!!!  I got the bit kit and the MOLLE sheath with it, and I think it made the land speed record from Oregon to Pennsylvania getting here.  I was really taken back by its heft...this is not a pocket carry (at least in my pocket).  I'm looking forward to seeing what it's got!
IMG_20170603_142427.jpg
* IMG_20170603_142427.jpg (Filesize: 207.29 KB)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:53:06 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 10:15:54 PM
It is definitely a handful all right!  I like it, but then I have been known to carry a Surge as well, so I guess just about anything seems light and breezy by comparison.

I know the Center-Drive has had some quality issues, but I have to say, mine has been solid and I like it a lot.

Def

Offline mikekoz

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2017, 12:28:02 AM

The MP700 is an absolute favorite of mine, and my favorite "fits in the coin pocket" MT.

(Image removed from quote.)

Such a nice tool, compact and with a complete toolset, it's not good news to hear that this issue affects the MP700/800 series!

ThePeacent......How long have you had your MP700/800? How much have you used them? If they are holding up and are more than a few years old, yours do not have the problem! I only use my multi's for low abuse, everyday mundane things like opening boxes, cutting string, small wires, opening blister packs, etc, so I am not concerned about ANY of mine wearing out! I have a multitool in front of me that is over 20 years old, was a cheap no name brand Leatherman Supertool sized device, and was used pretty heavily shortly after I bought it, and it is still going strong! The only test for any of these tools is usage!   

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 04:47:11 PM

ThePeacent......How long have you had your MP700/800? How much have you used them? If they are holding up and are more than a few years old, yours do not have the problem! I only use my multi's for low abuse, everyday mundane things like opening boxes, cutting string, small wires, opening blister packs, etc, so I am not concerned about ANY of mine wearing out! I have a multitool in front of me that is over 20 years old, was a cheap no name brand Leatherman Supertool sized device, and was used pretty heavily shortly after I bought it, and it is still going strong! The only test for any of these tools is usage!

Well, my MP700 is just over half a year old in my collection, but I got it used already by a previous owner

the MP800 was bought years ago, but even then it was also used when I bought it

I haven't abused them, but used the Legend extensively especially last summer where the MP800 was my most carried MT.

The blade, saw, scissors and drivers were all useful and came handy on occasion, but I never forced it.
What worries me is that the tool becomes non-functional because of time, independently of the use and work it is put against

At least that's the idea I got from your post  :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 09:24:35 PM
I met Kev Davey here today, and showed him the two tools I used in the comparison. At first he didn't spot the issue, but then I became quite apparent. Hopefully Kev can confirm what I was saying.

The wear only occurs from real usage. If you only use then lightly and occasionally, the effect for you will be negligible. I used mine quite heavily, and the pivot had worn heavily within less than two years. To some people it won't be an issue - to others it will  :salute:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #50 on: June 04, 2017, 10:27:12 PM
I met Kev Davey here today, and showed him the two tools I used in the comparison. At first he didn't spot the issue, but then I became quite apparent. Hopefully Kev can confirm what I was saying.

The wear only occurs from real usage. If you only use then lightly and occasionally, the effect for you will be negligible. I used mine quite heavily, and the pivot had worn heavily within less than two years. To some people it won't be an issue - to others it will  :salute:

Yep I can confirm what 50ft-trad is saying.

I didn't spot it till I closed the plier jaws then the wear became very apparent. The worn one had a lot of play in it compared to the good one.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 03:24:45 AM
I put mine to use cutting open a bag of dog food.  Mine seems tight and the fit and finish seems really good.
IMG_20170604_150322.jpg
* IMG_20170604_150322.jpg (Filesize: 163.23 KB)
IMG_20170604_150339.jpg
* IMG_20170604_150339.jpg (Filesize: 302.24 KB)
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 02:24:46 PM
Get to ready to do some house work!
1496665482649.jpg
* 1496665482649.jpg (Filesize: 168.24 KB)
Barry

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 05:21:53 PM
Used my CenterDrive over the wekend, along with my Grappler, PowerAcess, and my DimE. I asked the wife, " Small, medium or large". Thinking the I would carry one (or two) tool of that size. Well she says, "extra large". That is why I had a large carry over the weekend.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #54 on: June 05, 2017, 06:30:06 PM
I definitely get a crap load of YouTube ads about this thing.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #55 on: June 05, 2017, 09:05:58 PM
Busy day!!!
IMG_20170605_110020.jpg
* IMG_20170605_110020.jpg (Filesize: 428.64 KB)
IMG_20170605_102207.jpg
* IMG_20170605_102207.jpg (Filesize: 323.44 KB)
IMG_20170605_102119.jpg
* IMG_20170605_102119.jpg (Filesize: 477.22 KB)
Barry

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: June 05, 2017, 09:16:14 PM
Awesome! :gimme: :gimme:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #57 on: June 11, 2017, 12:56:13 PM
Put the nail puller and pliers to work this morning fixing my belt. 
IMG_20170611_064905.jpg
* IMG_20170611_064905.jpg (Filesize: 157.69 KB)
IMG_20170611_064807.jpg
* IMG_20170611_064807.jpg (Filesize: 182.35 KB)
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: June 11, 2017, 04:15:22 PM
Just catching up on this thread :whistle: It is a great read and very funny at points :rofl: plus lots of great pics :tu: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #59 on: June 11, 2017, 10:27:19 PM
I think I finally found the perfect kit Poncho.  Ranger/Center Drive combo!
1497212721210.jpg
* 1497212721210.jpg (Filesize: 125.48 KB)
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD