Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #330 on: July 10, 2019, 12:52:40 AM
The last two numbers are the year produced. I am not entirely certain of the other numbers(or letter suffix) or how the newer code works:ahhh

This thread has a little bit of information about it. Looks like 087 is common to a lot of sliding pliers tools.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=57132.0

So it looks like the OG CD I have was made Feb 2017, the BO CD was made in November 2018, and the CD+ dropped the month indicator to just indicate the year(2019 in this case).
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline LotsOfCoffee

Reply #331 on: July 13, 2019, 08:23:09 PM
Just got myself a CDplus. Really solid tool and got it from the Gerber website. The only thing is the driver wiggles left right and front and back. Doesn’t twist or anything. Does anyone’s else's do that or do I need to call Gerber?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #332 on: July 13, 2019, 08:56:51 PM
Why exactly is there an RCA Paracorded to your CD?

Oh somehow I forgot the pic. Here it is.

I thought the scissors could be modified to fit, but there is really no way. It wasn’t clear from the photos until I had some scissors out of the tool, but the distance between the tool pivot and the scissors blade pivot is greater on the CD scissors than on the mp600. It’s not just a shorter handle, the tool itself is longer.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #333 on: July 13, 2019, 09:00:22 PM
Just got myself a CDplus. Really solid tool and got it from the Gerber website. The only thing is the driver wiggles left right and front and back. Doesn’t twist or anything. Does anyone’s else's do that or do I need to call Gerber?
Is it the whole driver implement or the bit within the end that wobbles?

If it is the implement itself, more than a hair of play is not normal. Hope that helps. :tu:

Welcome to MT.o! :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline LotsOfCoffee

Reply #334 on: July 13, 2019, 09:45:44 PM
Is it the whole driver implement or the bit within the end that wobbles?

If it is the implement itself, more than a hair of play is not normal. Hope that helps. :tu:

Welcome to MT.o! :cheers:

It’s the whole implement. The bit holds tight. I’ll give Gerber a call. Is there a special tool to work with this bolts?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #335 on: July 13, 2019, 09:51:26 PM
It’s the whole implement. The bit holds tight. I’ll give Gerber a call. Is there a special tool to work with this bolts?

That doesn't sound right  :-\.

On my regular CenterDrive the bit driver has no play whatsoever.

Offline LotsOfCoffee

Reply #336 on: July 13, 2019, 10:01:52 PM
That doesn't sound right  :-\.

On my regular CenterDrive the bit driver has no play whatsoever.

It’s a bummer cause it’s the only thing that seems wrong. Pliers line up great and everything is seems in good order. It honestly looks like maybe a washer wasn’t put it. The knife has one on the inside side. The driver doesn’t. I hate to have to get an exchange  :cry:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #337 on: July 13, 2019, 10:09:23 PM
It’s a bummer cause it’s the only thing that seems wrong. Pliers line up great and everything is seems in good order. It honestly looks like maybe a washer wasn’t put it. The knife has one on the inside side. The driver doesn’t. I hate to have to get an exchange  :cry:

My eyesight most be deteriorating, because I can't make out a washer on either one of them ...  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #338 on: July 14, 2019, 12:08:16 AM
Just checked the three CDs in the collection and none of them have any side-to-side or front-to-back motion.
If the bolt is loose, it could be causing both types of play. But, as far as tightening, the only tool I know made for it is this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-wrenches-for-parse-some-Gerber-Old-SOG-Tools/293031130444?hash=item443a04354c:g:dNAAAOSw4qxaorN7

His tools are top-notch(many of us on MT.o have the Leatherman wrenches), but shipping from Russia takes a week or two.
Even if you do send the tool back to Gerber, it wouldn't hurt to have a set to do maintenance in the future. :)

If the play is minimal, it may be worth waiting until you get the wrenches, if you decide to get a set.

That reminds me, need to order a set myself. Getting a little tired of scratching up Gerber screw heads. :facepalm:

Offline LotsOfCoffee

Reply #339 on: July 14, 2019, 04:19:57 AM
Just checked the three CDs in the collection and none of them have any side-to-side or front-to-back motion.
If the bolt is loose, it could be causing both types of play. But, as far as tightening, the only tool I know made for it is this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-wrenches-for-parse-some-Gerber-Old-SOG-Tools/293031130444?hash=item443a04354c:g:dNAAAOSw4qxaorN7

His tools are top-notch(many of us on MT.o have the Leatherman wrenches), but shipping from Russia takes a week or two.
Even if you do send the tool back to Gerber, it wouldn't hurt to have a set to do maintenance in the future. :)

If the play is minimal, it may be worth waiting until you get the wrenches, if you decide to get a set.

That reminds me, need to order a set myself. Getting a little tired of scratching up Gerber screw heads. :facepalm:

Thank you for the tool link! Can’t seem to find it when I google it. I’m thinking that might be all it needs. It’s like a mm of movement both ways. I tried turning it with a small set of pliers but I didn’t want to mess up the screw heads.

Offline LotsOfCoffee

Reply #340 on: July 14, 2019, 04:33:14 AM
Just thought I would share that it was the bolt. I found out my channel lock teach fit real nicely into the grooves. Just took my time getting them in place and a few turns good as gold.

Thank you everyone!!!  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #341 on: July 14, 2019, 05:01:22 AM
Thank you for the tool link! Can’t seem to find it when I google it. I’m thinking that might be all it needs. It’s like a mm of movement both ways. I tried turning it with a small set of pliers but I didn’t want to mess up the screw heads.
You're certainly welcome. :cheers:

Just thought I would share that it was the bolt. I found out my channel lock teach fit real nicely into the grooves. Just took my time getting them in place and a few turns good as gold.

Thank you everyone!!!  :cheers:

:woohoo:
That is awesome. Cost of shipping and waiting 2-4 weeks avoided! :like:

If it isn't any bother, it wouldn't hurt to shoot Gerber an email explaining what you had to do though. The CD seems to be very consistent in quality, and it would be a shame if Gerber let the QC slip on them. :ahhh

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #342 on: July 18, 2019, 11:22:07 PM
I really love the pry tool in the CD. It works great on removing staples from upholstered chairs. Refinishing the wood arms on some mid century modern chairs, and the pry tool made short work of the staples without tearing up the vinyl. I used a screwdriver previously and this was night and day better!  It’s also a good bottle opener and a fair can opener.

Charles.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #343 on: August 11, 2019, 04:36:32 PM
So my Center-drive arrived yesterday.

First impressions:

No bit kit with mine... Too bad, but not the end of the world.

Decently built, but doesn't feel like a LM or Vic.

The engineering that went into it is impressive!

I also noticed the holes in the sides of the bit holder. Which MUST be there for easy cleaning with compressed air... Genious!!

No way this is going into the pockets. Belt or bag carry only.

It's well worth the €70 discount price, but not the €140 it retails for.

All in all a cool looking, decent tool, feels capable but because of the Kalashnikov principle (tolerance allows for smooth operation) it feels less finished, even though it's got a way better finish than the feel of the tool implies.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #344 on: August 11, 2019, 09:37:29 PM
 :like:
Congrats on finally getting the CD, Nick! :woohoo:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #345 on: August 11, 2019, 10:24:07 PM
Thanks!
:hatsoff:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #346 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:18 AM
Congrats on the CD Nick  :cheers:.

And indeed, no bitkit with the ones at Bever/A.S.Adventure, but the sheath has room for a bitkit and you can just use any bitholder that fits in the sheath.  My toolbox had two red plastic bitholders which hold 10 bits each, and one of those fits perfect in the sheath.  So an easy (and cheap) fix to get the most out of the CD.

By the way, have you seen the beautiful leather sheath Gerber made for the CD plus ... ?  :pok:

Best "value for your money" sheath I've seen in a long time, just pointing them out, that's all ...  :whistle:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #347 on: August 12, 2019, 01:37:47 PM
WOW these are awesome TG  :drool: :like:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #348 on: August 12, 2019, 08:56:55 PM
Yes, I've seen them...
But at €22 excl shipping, I've decided to give it a go like this first.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #349 on: August 12, 2019, 10:42:57 PM
Yes, I've seen them...
But at €22 excl shipping, I've decided to give it a go like this first.

When you order 3 you get free shipping...  :whistle:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #350 on: August 12, 2019, 11:13:18 PM
When you order 3 you get free shipping...  :whistle:

(Image removed from quote.)

Those are beauties, not often I say that to a man.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #351 on: August 14, 2019, 02:39:51 AM
I am trying to reconcile the complaints on Amazon.com about problems with the Center Drive Plus leather case with the praise I read in other venues.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Center-Drive-Plus-Multi-Tool-30-001417/product-reviews/B07P56HJLX/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_top?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline JonesE

Reply #352 on: August 14, 2019, 05:35:59 AM
I am trying to reconcile the complaints on Amazon.com about problems with the Center Drive Plus leather case with the praise I read in other venues.

Hi Parma’s, I read through the comments on Amazon that you linked. Seem the issue raised is with the snap not being secure to the sheath. I have had this happen to me where the snap comes off so it is not limited to just this sheath. I am planning on eventually getting around to buying one of these sheaths. I will check the snap and make sure that the center rivet that holds the snap on is correctly folded over. If not it is an easy fix with just peeling it over with a hammer and punch. I get the frustration with buying something and having an issue. To me this just does not sound like a big deal.

JonesE

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #353 on: August 14, 2019, 09:07:43 PM
 :iagree:

Shame the snaps are getting a bad reputation. Will look closely at the attachment of the snap on mine this evening. :)

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #354 on: August 15, 2019, 06:32:44 AM
Why exactly is there an RCA Paracorded to your CD?

Because I thought all the skull beads on paracord lanyards were hokey and stupid. Plus I’m a big fan of vintage audio equipment. I put a “bead” on that had meaning to me.

Plus if I find a bad patch cable I can fix it on the spot! :)

Charles.

00 Offline belshi

• New User
Reply #355 on: August 26, 2019, 01:17:23 AM
Center Drive is 79.oo + tax at Walmart 
 :cheers:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #356 on: August 26, 2019, 01:06:01 PM
Because I thought all the skull beads on paracord lanyards were hokey and stupid. Plus I’m a big fan of vintage audio equipment. I put a “bead” on that had meaning to me.

Plus if I find a bad patch cable I can fix it on the spot! :)

Charles.

Sorry it took me so long to see this reply!

Same here but I did not imagine that there were 2 of us?

I have a 1/4" Mono Plug on one ring myself!
Monster Cable used to give them to dealers and the ring is a small loop of Monster Cable,I need to get a pic of it here.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #357 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:33 PM
Here's a new one!  Orthopedic Dr used my Center Drive to fit a brace on my wife today!
IMG_20190903_144638.jpg
* IMG_20190903_144638.jpg (Filesize: 210.88 KB)
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #358 on: September 03, 2019, 08:52:50 PM
Building a Cyborg! :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #359 on: September 03, 2019, 08:53:34 PM
Seriously though, I hope she's ok?

Donations