Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #90 on: June 30, 2017, 05:33:00 PM
 :like: :like:
Barry

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #91 on: July 06, 2017, 01:12:19 AM
Soon...
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #92 on: July 06, 2017, 05:11:25 AM
After catching up on this thread I'm sorry to see the poor QC on a few of these Centerdrives. Mine has been rock solid the last 2 months and I've put it through the ringer.

The only issue I have had was a small chip on a Phillips bit after trying to free a stuck screw. Other than that I'm happy with it.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: July 06, 2017, 10:58:29 AM
Mines ok so far, though I still tend to use my surge when I know it's going to need a tough tool.  I'll have to try and use the gerber and see how it fairs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #94 on: July 06, 2017, 12:16:58 PM
The local Canadian Tire has this model which I do not have as of yet...but I won't spend 170 bucks for it!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Kev D

Reply #95 on: July 06, 2017, 01:39:30 PM
The local Canadian Tire has this model which I do not have as of yet...but I won't spend 170 bucks for it!

they are cheaper on the mto store. no stock at the mo though. if you want one from there give Grant a  :pok:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #96 on: July 06, 2017, 02:06:47 PM
Thanks to Kev (again) I've been able to examine a Centre Drive close up. I did a follow up post on the SOG PowerAccess and Syncs after I got to examine those close up, and now I can do the same with the Centre Drive.

Firstly the pliers. Kev said that he didn't think they looked very strong, but a side-by-side comparison with the Diesel showed that the construction looked solid enough for general use. I still think that the hollow spring opening construction and indexable inserts are a bad idea. These ruin what could have been a versatile and durable plier design for the reasons highlighted before. Also, the way the Centre Drive is put together, the plier heads cannot be readilly swapped with the far superior ones of the Diesel or MP600.

Secondly, the driver itself. This looks weak. I think if people start using these on heavier duty jobs such as rusted screws, we are going to be seeing broken drivers. Kev and I both agreed where the fracture point was likely to be on this. It is also LESS central (when considering both axes) than the Balance.

Cast pry tool - I still struggle to comprehend that professional tool makers would design such a thing. It's ugly, bulky, and I have no confidence in its durability. Something make from rolled plate would be stronger and thinner, leaving space for another function.

Overall, a heavier duty version of the Balance with full 1/4" hex capability would have made for a better tool. The Centre Drive is a nice looking tool, but genuinely strikes me as being less dependable for hard use than the MP600 and Diesel.

Kev, sorry to slate another of your tools buddy, and I hope it serves you better than I am anticipating. :salute: Gerber still maintains a place in my tool array with the Balance, MP400, 600, and Diesel, but the Center Drive will not be on my shopping list at any point.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #97 on: July 06, 2017, 04:55:07 PM
Speaking to the strength of the driver, I have used mine on very tight/over torqued screws. These were tight to the point of me putting a good deal of force on and no issues. However as stated it is more of a long run kind of deal.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: July 06, 2017, 04:56:36 PM
Speaking to the strength of the driver, I have used mine on very tight/over torqued screws. These were tight to the point of me putting a good deal of force on and no issues. However as stated it is more of a long run kind of deal.

Good to know they're up to occasional heavy usage anyway  :salute:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #99 on: July 06, 2017, 04:58:20 PM
Thanks to Kev (again) I've been able to examine a Centre Drive close up. I did a follow up post on the SOG PowerAccess and Syncs after I got to examine those close up, and now I can do the same with the Centre Drive.

Firstly the pliers. Kev said that he didn't think they looked very strong, but a side-by-side comparison with the Diesel showed that the construction looked solid enough for general use. I still think that the hollow spring opening construction and indexable inserts are a bad idea. These ruin what could have been a versatile and durable plier design for the reasons highlighted before. Also, the way the Centre Drive is put together, the plier heads cannot be readilly swapped with the far superior ones of the Diesel or MP600.

Secondly, the driver itself. This looks weak. I think if people start using these on heavier duty jobs such as rusted screws, we are going to be seeing broken drivers. Kev and I both agreed where the fracture point was likely to be on this. It is also LESS central (when considering both axes) than the Balance.

Cast pry tool - I still struggle to comprehend that professional tool makers would design such a thing. It's ugly, bulky, and I have no confidence in its durability. Something make from rolled plate would be stronger and thinner, leaving space for another function.

Overall, a heavier duty version of the Balance with full 1/4" hex capability would have made for a better tool. The Centre Drive is a nice looking tool, but genuinely strikes me as being less dependable for hard use than the MP600 and Diesel.

Kev, sorry to slate another of your tools buddy, and I hope it serves you better than I am anticipating. :salute: Gerber still maintains a place in my tool array with the Balance, MP400, 600, and Diesel, but the Center Drive will not be on my shopping list at any point.

It's a tool forum, if I got upset because of someone else's opinion I'm in the wrong place, and I wouldn't have brought it for you to look at. I said it myself, I don't think it will be a very strong tool, due to the cast parts on it. Time will tell how well it holds up to use and abuse. I'll give it a fair trial though and not go out of my way to get it to fail.

I quite like the pry bar on it, though I haven't tried it on nails or anything yet. It's first use was to open some fence wood treatment paint that covered the tool when I did. I took a fair amount of wd40 to get it cleaned out. I didn't clean the wd out of it as well as I thought as you found out when examining the tool  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: July 06, 2017, 05:03:12 PM
 :tu: :salute:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: July 06, 2017, 06:30:00 PM

Midway USA has them for $75, as of Tuesday. Not sure what shipping to Canada would do to the overall cost, though.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #102 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:24 PM
I had my doubts on this tool's driver and prybar, so far the only "prybars" I've trusten on MTs are the Spirit/Swisstool's one and the big flat driver on the ST300.
Others have failed (I've broken two Gerber, two Leatherman and one SOG prying with their drivers, either chipping the driver or bending the tool, on the LM the entire handle blew up... :facepalm:) and multitool drivers never inspired confidence, I've broken 2 Phillips drivers and deformed many soft(er) ones like on my Explorer, so I definitely see this being an issue if you don't have proper tools around and only carry the Center Drive, which seems aimed to people who tend to do tough jobs and tasks (mechanics, car repair, industry workers...).

In my view, the Surge and Center Drive have weak jaws for their size, and I'd trust a SOG PowerPlier, Vic Spirit or Gerber MP600 Blunt Nose or LM Crunch way before those two
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #103 on: July 07, 2017, 02:53:11 AM
My wife needed pliers tonight.  Always great having the Center Drive around!!
IMG_20170706_204450.jpg
* IMG_20170706_204450.jpg (Filesize: 168.46 KB)
Barry

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #104 on: July 07, 2017, 02:57:40 PM
Nice one Barry!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #105 on: July 08, 2017, 04:33:55 AM
 :cheers: It was one of those moments you just wait for, like having the SAK with the only corkscrew in the house!
Barry

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #106 on: July 08, 2017, 04:45:17 AM
Agreed! I'm glad I had a can opener yesterday and Tinker did just fine!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: July 09, 2017, 04:39:22 AM
I'm in. Couldn't pass up a good deal. Tool feels solid, even more so than the MP600. I really wish it had or could accept scissors, but the weird lock-tab/lanyard loop thing prevents it (I've already tried Diesel scissors). The blade is MASSIVE. The centered driver is cool and a joy to use, so far. I like the springy pliers but the shape of the jaws will take getting used to.

Who's next?
9INuY7ql-442385548.jpg
* 9INuY7ql-442385548.jpg (Filesize: 305.02 KB)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:05:27 AM by rdub934 »

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: July 12, 2017, 10:51:48 PM
Guess what just came in the mail!!! :mail: I'm diggin' the center drive. Awesome!! :like: :like: :like:
DSCN2256.JPG
* DSCN2256.JPG (Filesize: 254.37 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #109 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:37 AM
 :multi:
IMG_0672.jpeg
* IMG_0672.jpeg (Filesize: 444.11 KB)
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #110 on: July 14, 2017, 04:37:31 PM
Welcome to the club folks!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: July 14, 2017, 07:14:56 PM
I'm in. Couldn't pass up a good deal. Tool feels solid, even more so than the MP600. I really wish it had or could accept scissors, but the weird lock-tab/lanyard loop thing prevents it (I've already tried Diesel scissors). The blade is MASSIVE. The centered driver is cool and a joy to use, so far. I like the springy pliers but the shape of the jaws will take getting used to.

Who's next?

Strata scissors  :pok:

The scissors will be "upside down" when deployed and therefore might take a bit of time to find the most comfortable way to use them, but at least the shorter arm will be clear of the body of the tool and able to move properly :tu:

Just a thought  :salute:

Offline thesavo

• New User
Reply #112 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:25 PM
My wife bought me a center drive for my birthday in February.  I have always had to call in the warranty because the loop and hook closer isnt holding anymore. It's a step up from my mp600.  I do miss the Scissors. However, the exterior knife and driver is impressive to most bystanders.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: July 26, 2017, 12:08:55 AM
Used mine today at work for unscrewing a metal strap that was hanging from the ceiling. I've also had a chance to use the catspaw on drywall screws, for moderate jobs, it does great! :like:
DSCN2401.JPG
* DSCN2401.JPG (Filesize: 260.99 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #114 on: July 26, 2017, 12:26:33 AM
Used mine today at work for unscrewing a metal strap that was hanging from the ceiling. I've also had a chance to use the catspaw on drywall screws, for moderate jobs, it does great! :like:
:2tu:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: July 26, 2017, 03:12:10 AM
Thanks brother! :cheers:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: August 01, 2017, 11:14:43 PM
Had to use mine yesterday for bending some metal studs at work, and managed to sneak both an in action and a pre staged pic ( don't tell the boss! :D)
0731171154b.jpg
* 0731171154b.jpg (Filesize: 180.1 KB)
0731171232.jpg
* 0731171232.jpg (Filesize: 83.8 KB)
Send In the spartans

england Offline Kev D

Reply #117 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:08 AM
I used mine last Wednesday to cut open bags of top soil, after 6 bags the blade was blunt and wouldn't cut them, so I switched to a surge and it cut through the other 34 no problem.

I sharpened the blade on my sharpmaker before heading off to the UK meet to put an edge on it and gave it a full sharpen on my edge pro on Monday morning ready for my delivery of bags of top soil coming, as I wanted to try it again, and this time it cut through all 30 bags of top soil and 10 bags of compost no problem.  I guess the factory grind was a little off.

The blade was still fairly sharp after it finished with the bags so just needed a tickle on the sharpmaker to bring it back. Not bad at all I must say. I just need to give it a proper clean out again now as it's a little gritty from the top soil.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:58:45 AM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: August 16, 2017, 08:05:16 PM
I have found that almost without exception, factory edges do not stay sharp as long as they do after a couple of hand re-sharpenings. I believe it has to do with the edge having been overheated during the factory machine sharpening process. This is why I always chuckle when I read people complaining about out of the box sharpness.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:13 PM
I have found that almost without exception, factory edges do not stay sharp as long as they do after a couple of hand re-sharpenings. I believe it has to do with the edge having been overheated during the factory machine sharpening process. This is why I always chuckle when I read people complaining about out of the box sharpness.

I've found the overtempering of the edge to be more of an issue on axes. They often need sharpening a few times before you get to good material and it starts holding an edge properly.

With knives, I have found a wire edge (false edge) to be more of an issue. I have had a few burred edges on Gerbers, the worst of which was on a Flik. That was horrendous, particularly on the "art deco" serrated blade. I would guess that was the case on Kev's Centre Drive

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD