Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weird Windows 10 update glitch.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Weird Windows 10 update glitch.
on: May 06, 2017, 04:30:51 AM
This is odd...and a bit scary at the same time. I was sure I would have to reformat my computer on several occasions.

I have Windows 10 and of course it automatically loaded the most current update. I noticed this via a pop up message telling me to install it, ignore it, or set a time to install it. I Ignored it as I was playing Counter Strike at the time. Afterwards, I figured I should go through the process. It did state this update would take a long time. I had an hour before bed time and thought that should be enough. Well I was wrong. I ended up going to bed and leaving the computer on all night to do whatever it needed to do.

I woke up the next morning to an orange screen with nothing on it. I waited a little as I was unsure where it was exactly in the update...but then common sense took over as nothing should take all night to update. I thought carefully and did the scary...I pressed my power button for 4 seconds and then waited a few to recycle the power back to the on position. The computer checked the integrity of my hard disk (I was fairly certain I nuked something). After the check up, it proceeded to give me the 87% complete screen...and then it froze. Unfortunately I had to go to work, so I turned off the computer. All day, my thoughts entertained having to reformat the computer and then reinstalling all of my stuff. I wasn't looking forward to that hassle. When I got home, I tentatively turned on the computer, but this time, it automatically noticed something was amiss and re-installed things back to before I nuked my computer with the Microsoft Window 10 update file.

Now here is the kicker. I know not to re-install that corrupt upgrade file. However, nestled right next to my shut off button, are two update options. I accidentally pressed the upgrade option before going to bed trying to turn off my computer. At this point, I figured what the hay, nothing to lose. So I went back to bed with the computer on all night. Woke up the next morning to the same orange coloured blank screen as before. Awesome sauce! I turn off my computer twice, and it automatically rebooted my older much happier version.

Now, I have to be extra careful in not clicking on those stupid upgrade options whenever I shut the computer down.  :rant:

Anyone else having the same issue with the latest update for Windows 10?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: Weird Windows 10 update glitch.
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:00:01 PM
assume this is the 1703 creator update, and not the normal patches that seem to automatically install?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:01:26 PM
That is correct.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:33:45 PM
Isn't creator update unstable test version? I did not receive any notification on mine, the last one I have is 1607.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 03:50:36 PM
Our laptop updated to creator update the other day.

We had a bit of kerfuffle with updates right beforehand, where some update half installed and caused the machine to become completely unusable. I shutdown the update processes and cleared out the update caching etc using the "How to fix Windows Update: Delete files in Software Distribution" section on this page: http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/1001411/how-to-fix-windows-update-in-windows-10-if-it-becomes-stuck-1 or something like that.

After clearing out crap and restarting the updates everything went in smoothly. I haven't done the creator updates on our desktops yet as none have prompted to install it yet.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 03:53:53 PM
I'm still on 8.1 and every time I think I might update to 10 things like this make me change my mind.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 04:20:49 PM
I'm still on 8.1 and every time I think I might update to 10 things like this make me change my mind.
Windows 8 is worse.  :P
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 06:01:14 PM

In what way ?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 06:03:30 PM
yeah, I prefer 7 or 10, 8 was a steaming pile of donkey poo.

That being said, I'm using linux 99% of the time.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:44 AM

In what way ?

I'm on 8 at the moment, not even 8.1.   :facepalm:

The problem with 8 and all of its newer versions is that it is basically one OS trying to be two OS's- a touch screen tablet OS and a desktop OS.  This would be fine if it just changed the interface depending on the device it is on (or able to switch the interface at will for devices like mine that are both laptop and tablet) but it actually ends up trying to run them both seperately.  For example, if you start Skype or Netflix (or many other apps) from the tile menu it isn't available on the desktop and vice versa- you have to switch from one to the other.

The native image viewer is a great example- unless you have changed it (like I have) to Windows viewer, the various incarnations of Windows 8 tries to open them up in the picture viewer from the Tile OS, even if you click on them through File Explorer on the desktop.  This basically uses up a lot of resources since now it is running both versions of the OS seperately.  And you know it is 2 seperate entities because when you look at a photo in Windows Image Viewer you can use the arrow keys to flip to the next image.  You can't do that in Tile Viewer because it is too seperate from the desktop.

Maybe I'm a bit off on my interpretation of it, but the very fact that you have to go to the upper left of your screen to switch back and forth seems to support my theory.

It seems like they came up with an overly complicated and less effective response to a problem no one was having.

I'm with Micah- I'll take 7 or 10 any day of the week over 8.  I see what they were trying to do, but it came out horribly wrong.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 02:53:02 AM
I'm responsible for building the images where I work and distributing them to the roughly 2000 systems we have. We use one of those third party image and app deployment consoles which requires the proper Windows PXE ADK to be installed in order to create images. Naturally we try to have all the latest and greatest of everything so the image lasts us as long as possible.

Although I built the image with the 1700 series Windows 10 build, the third party deployment console would only accept use of the 1600 series build, even though the console itself still offers the 1700.

Found that out after the first of the test machines were images using the 1700 ADK and all sorts of flakey behavior presented itself during updates and registration. Had to do everything all over again from scratch using the 1600 series build and ADK.

What a world we live in. No wonder where all my hair' s going.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 02:57:39 AM
And trying to delete some of the app squares (and do it so they don't come back) that are not necessary or desired in an enterprise environment - what a pain in the arse.

Even after all that, I would still rather work in Windows 10 than Windows 8.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 03:54:40 AM
I don't understand 90% of what you said there, but even I think it sounds like a colossal pain in the bum.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 11:40:49 AM
I don't understand 90% of what you said there, but even I think it sounds like a colossal pain in the bum.

Def
:imws:
Ouch!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 04:31:08 AM
My last laptop had 8 (and then 8.1), and I had a brief and unwanted buggy update to Windows 10 where I could not access the start menu for 3 days, to the point where I could not undo the update. When that laptop bit the dust, I bought a powerful desktop paired with a cheap laptop, both running Windows 7 Pro, and I couldn't be happier. No bad UI, no buggy updates, no problems.

I didn't really have anything to add to the conversation, i just wanted to share  :P
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 03:28:58 PM
Slaughter- that's why, even after my test excursions into Windows 10, we are as an organization still using Windows 7 pro. Unfortunately, by the end of 2020, Microsoft is going to end support and patching to 7pro. I believe they already stopped for regular home users.

Anyway, Windows 10 isn't bad either. Just takes some getting used to. Engineers love to change things. I will be updating our deployment console and building a third Windows 10 image, a definitive one, so that we are all using Windows 10 well before enterprise support for 7 pro ends

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 02:58:56 AM
There's plenty of guides to make 10 look like 7. Guess that would be best of both worlds, ie updated, yet familiar.

I sometimes end up in lesser known hidden corners of my 10 install that look pretty much like they are pulled directly from 7.  :facepalm:

I still loathe the update system in 10, and the fall creators update dropped recently IIRC.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:36:07 PM
I still like 10.  I was also a fan of 7.  I tolerated 8.

I loved XP as well.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 06:46:53 AM
Update...still can't install the new update...and the OS is still asking me each day to install it go figure.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 12:01:37 PM
Update...still can't install the new update...and the OS is still asking me each day to install it go figure.
IIRC I did something like the "Windows 7, 8, and 10: Fix Windows Update by Deleting Its Cache Manually" part of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/247380/how-to-fix-windows-update-when-it-gets-stuck/

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 12:15:46 PM
IIRC I did something like the "Windows 7, 8, and 10: Fix Windows Update by Deleting Its Cache Manually" part of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/247380/how-to-fix-windows-update-when-it-gets-stuck/

I was going to post that, I had to do it on my laptop, the update still took 4 hours for some reason  :think:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 12:23:49 PM
yeah, I'm really not a fan of the update system of windows. Update, reboot, update, reboot, update, reboot, reboot, update, reboot.  :facepalm:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:24 PM
yeah, I'm really not a fan of the update system of windows. Update, reboot, update, reboot, update, reboot, reboot, update, reboot.  :facepalm:

It was it sitting there at 97% for 3 hours that pissed me off!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 12:38:22 PM

It was it sitting there at 97% for 3 hours that pissed me off!
Yeah, also it's also the fact that win10 decides to update when it decides, it feels like you have little control, and I don't mind that an update requires a reboot, it happens in linux, but it doesn't sit at a "updating" screen for 20min-3h before it actually reboots to come back to an "updating" screen for another 20min, in linux a reboot is usually less than a minute or two.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 01:21:58 PM
interestingly enough, this popped up on my facebook feed lol:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-troubleshooting-guide/

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 05:52:45 PM

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 03:29:24 AM
 :tu:

That really helped. It now works!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 12:23:02 PM
:tu:

That really helped. It now works!
That's great, I'm glad!

Meanwhile more interesting stuff from MUO: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-windows-10-features-can-turn-off/

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 01:34:45 PM
Well not exactly. It uploaded an update that went well. Then the next day, when I wanted to get onto my computer to do some work, I got hit with that annoying big update that freezes my computer. I get the same thing...black screen with a frozen mouse cursor. I hit my power off button for 4 seconds and then rebooted it. Thankfully, this causes the computer to go into loading up my previous windows which eventually lets me get back to square one.

:think:

At least the dang computer isn't bugging me every day to install this borked install....at least for now...and that is an improvement I am will to be happy with.  :facepalm:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 02:38:21 PM
Did you turn it off and on again?  :pok:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99