Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm with Scissors

us Offline this_is_nascar

84mm with Scissors
on: May 06, 2017, 11:51:10 PM
Anyone know why there is no longer an 84mm Vic with scissors?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: 84mm with Scissors
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:54:01 PM
Not sure why they stopped but it's been a long time since they made a 84mm with scissors.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:30:00 AM
Probably because they think the rebranded Wengers are good enough.

Offline ulli

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:33 PM
Its because the knife from the machine used for the 84 mm scissors got broken. So they calculated if they should invest in a new knife or not. Sadly, they didn't.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 05:57:25 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:12:17 PM
Its because the knife from the machine used for the 84 mm scissors got broken. So they calculated if they should invest in a new knife or not. Sadly, they didn't.

True story?  Due to broken equipment?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Offline ulli

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 06:21:02 PM
Thats what a former victorinox employee told me...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 07:10:34 PM
Thats what a former victorinox employee told me...

:cheers:
Fascinating
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:40 AM
Absolutely .....

And I read somewhere that the scissors are the most expensive tool to make on a SAK
- So if your machine to make them is kaput - This makes sense I guess - Not to re-invest

I know many here rue the day !! Including me :(

Definitely not this
- As Delemonts have only been around only for a couple of years
- And 84mm scissors have not been around for a couple of decades I think 

Although I guess Vic may have decided not to compete with Wenger on the 84/5 length too much
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:39:37 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 10:20:40 AM
Absolutely .....

And I read somewhere that the scissors are the most expensive tool to make on a SAK
- So if your machine to make them is kaput - This makes sense I guess - Not to re-invest

I know many here rue the day !! Including me :(

Definitely not this
- As Delemonts have only been around only for a couple of years
- And 84mm scissors have not been around for a couple of decades I think 

Although I guess Vic may have decided not to compete with Wenger on the 84/5 length too much

I feel that, I still don't have a single 84mm scissor to speak of  :-\

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 11:17:38 AM
Interesting story, never thought it could be because of that... :-\ It makes sense though...

Sadly, given that fact and the fact they are now producing (as Vic's) most of the former Wenger 85 mm line, i don't think scissor's or any 84mm sak with more tools will ever be made available in current production again.  :cry:
They could also try and incorporate the Wenger scissor's on the 84mm models, but with all the 85mm models for customers to choose, not to mention the cost of developing new parts for that to work (new liners and new springs) from would it be economically viable or profitable for them? I don't think so, unfortunately...

At the end of the day only us, fans, enthusiastic users or collectors really care about it. The average Sak user will not really care if it's a 85mm ex Wnger type or a 84mm Vic type. As long as it has blades and scissor's on it they are all good  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 12:24:11 PM
I don't agree with the justification that 84mm competes with Wenger 85mm.  To me the Wenger 85mm is more like Victorinox 91mm in overall size.  The 84mm is much slimmer.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:33:36 PM
I don't agree with the justification that 84mm competes with Wenger 85mm.  To me the Wenger 85mm is more like Victorinox 91mm in overall size.  The 84mm is much slimmer.

Yes, but "slimness" is the only real difference between the two current models. The main reason for that is the Evolution/Evigrip scales. If you put a regular scaled type 85mm Wenger against a 84mm Vic there is almost no real difference in size. The 1mm difference in length is neglectable
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 01:41:44 PM
Yes, but "slimness" is the only real difference between the two current models. The main reason for that is the Evolution/Evigrip scales. If you put a regular scaled type 85mm Wenger against a 84mm Vic there is almost no real difference in size. The 1mm difference in length is neglectable

Aren't the 85mm also wider than the 84mm, even with regular scales?  Don't have one here to check but that's my impression.  In any case, 85mm with regular scales don't exist any more as current models.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%