Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to clean up a used MP800!?

Offline mikekoz

How to clean up a used MP800!?
on: May 07, 2017, 07:21:37 PM
   I have had this MP800 for a while and the blades and body of the tool are in really good shape. But, as you can see by the photo, either it has some sort of rust all over it, or the outer tools anodizing or coating is coming off. Some of the tools, like the main blade (pictured), also have the same black splotches all over them. Is there a way to clean this up? Would soaking it in WD40 for a day or two help? What the heck is that all over the tool? I appreciate any help anybody can give me. I also have a new copy of the MP800, and would like this used one to look as close to new as possible. Thanks!

MP800_1" border="0 MP800_2" border="0

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: How to clean up a used MP800!?
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:51:05 PM
You've got a true beauty up there!
I love, love the MP800, it's my favorite Gerber. Mine was in similar condition to yours, I used WD40 and a metallic sponge, plus some brass brushes for the gaps and in between the tools.

Scrubbing, rasping, sanding a bit and polishing, plus a nice dose of patience, and yours should look like mine!  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:05:50 PM
  Thanks! Did you let it soak in the WD40 before you brushed it?  Yours looks great!!  :drool:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:38:27 AM
Good luck on the restoration and remember to take pics of it as the work progress :tu: :like:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:55:00 PM
    Looks like it is going to take a bit more work. I used WD40 on it, which cleaned it up quite a bit, but it still looks pretty much the same. Three of the rubber pieces also came off the scales, but I am not too concerned abut them. Will do more work on it this weekend!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 05:08:54 PM
    Looks like it is going to take a bit more work. I used WD40 on it, which cleaned it up quite a bit, but it still looks pretty much the same. Three of the rubber pieces also came off the scales, but I am not too concerned abut them. Will do more work on it this weekend!

Rubber inserts falling out are a very common issue on the MP800 and MP700, and half of the eBay "used" tools have them already ripped out or half gone. Not the most durable insert, that's true.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline mikekoz

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:31:08 AM
  I am going to remove all of them. I actually think the tool looks better without!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%