Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recruit vs Tourist vs Small Tinker

us Offline this_is_nascar

Recruit vs Tourist vs Small Tinker
on: May 09, 2017, 06:05:20 PM
Are the thickness of these all the same or are the Tourist and Small Tinker thicker than the Recruit?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Re: Recruit vs Tourist vs Small Tinker
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:17:19 PM
Are the thickness of these all the same or are the Tourist and Small Tinker thicker than the Recruit?

The Recruit is exactly the same size and thickness as the Tourist, Small Tinker and  Spostsman. The only difference is that it doesn't have back tools  :)

The Tourist and Sportsman feel maybe just a little more chunky on the pocket because of the corckscrew, but the thickness of the SAK's themselves is the same
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:24:39 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 06:29:24 PM

The Recruit is exactly the same size and thickness as the Tourist, Small Tinker and  Spostsman. The only difference is that it doesn't have back tools  :)

The Tourist and Sportsman feel maybe just a little more chunky on the pocket because of the corckscrew, but the thickness of the SAK's themselves is the same
+1 Agree...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:37:01 PM
Sportsman  :pok: 

But seriously, the Tourist if I HAVE to.  Where else am I going to carry my mini-screwdriver?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:37:45 PM
Thanks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 06:38:19 PM
Apologies, thought this was more of a poll thread.

+1 Agree...

What he said

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 06:40:30 PM

+1 Agree...

Carrying one today. I'd say it's has high as the awl, in the back (the awl makes a curve, the corkscrew makes a more straight line) and less than 1mm above the back scale. The photos are not showing it centered, it's standing out much less than it shows here.
Sportsman CS 1.jpg
* Sportsman CS 1.jpg (Filesize: 295.97 KB)
Sportsman CS 2.jpg
* Sportsman CS 2.jpg (Filesize: 295.77 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:08:16 PM

But seriously, the Tourist if I HAVE to.  Where else am I going to carry my mini-screwdriver?

LOL, do you guys really need the corkscrew just to carry the minidriver? You know... there are lots of other ways you can carry the minidriver (or equivalent) without it necessarily being physically on the Sak...  :pok:
Wallet, keychain, pocket,...  :whistle:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:14:20 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 07:09:40 PM

LOL, do you guys really need the corkscrew just to carry the minidriver? You know... there are lots of other ways you can carry the minidriver (or equivalent) without it necessarily being physically on the Sak...  :pok:

Well, yeah, but...

You'd need to wear clothes for that, right?!...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 07:12:00 PM

Well, yeah, but...

Well I guess that rules out using a suspension clip :D Or does it :o :ahhh

:rofl:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 07:14:51 PM

+1 Agree...

Carrying one today. I'd say it's has high as the awl, in the back (the awl makes a curve, the corkscrew makes a more straight line) and less than 1mm above the back scale. The photos are not showing it centered, it's standing out much less than it shows here.

That really depends on the specific one you have, one of the things i hate with the corkscrews is a bit of inconsistency with them sticking out the back. You can have a nice flush ones with the side of the liner, and other's with as much as almost 1mm gap between the corkscrew and the liner, sticking out more the back a bit more... I have a dozen or more with corckscrews and none of them sits exactly the same way....
The Philips however i see hardly any inconsistencies at all

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 07:16:00 PM

Seems like that would be kind of easy to lose and it looks so Darn Cool in the corkscrew. always carry a 58 MM too and it usually would have a small screwdriver in it I admit.  I never EDC a back layer phillips because the Vic can opener,as we all know, meets that need and even does it better IMO.  If I want the Recruit Tool set, I will carry a pioneer or a soldier.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:17:50 PM by El Corkscrew »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 07:19:22 PM

Well, yeah, but...

LOL well i never thought on taking my sak's to the shower with me, or any situation that i haven't got any clothes but absolutely need to wear glasses so i got to have a minidriver in the sak to fix them if needed...  :think:

But one never knows...  :rofl:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 07:28:17 PM

Seems like that would be kind of easy to lose and it looks so Darn Cool in the corkscrew. always carry a 58 MM too and it usually would have a small screwdriver in it I admit.  I never EDC a back layer phillips because the Vic can opener,as we all know, meets that need and even does it better IMO.  If I want the Recruit Tool set, I will carry a pioneer or a soldier.   :cheers:

Nah... You can poke a hole on the plastic and put a ring in and put it on a keychain, or use the coin pocket of the wallet to put it in (even filing the handle more flat a bit so it's not as bulky, there are lots os ways to carry it without loosing it or specifically needing the corkscrew to carry it  :cheers: The cool factor i get... :D
But for me, i've always found the screwdriver look cooler (and sleeker) than the corkscrew so... And is not so much for the actual ease (or placement) of function, even tho i still find it more useful there than the corkscrew.
That's why i still favour the Small Tinker over the Tourist, or the Tinker over the Spartan for that matter.
But i still carry all of them nevertheless :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:33:40 PM by MacGyver »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 03:16:55 AM
The Sportsman, Tourist, Recruit and Tinker small are all nice one's to carry... 2 layer SAKs in 84mm is perfect for pocket carry for me if pocket space is an issue.

But the thing is, I gotta have scissors on my SAKs... Hence, in situations like those, I will carry my modded golfer...

On another note, the quad sd found on the swisscard lite would be a nice fob on the knife lanyard...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD