Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Samsung J5 - Worth it?

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Samsung J5 - Worth it?
on: May 09, 2017, 10:38:15 PM
Could anyone advise if the J5 is good value for money?

My wife's previous smartphone, a Xperia M2 is dead after it met some water. Sony quoted a nice €130 to repair it but we can get a Samsung J5 for €150 (or a J3 for a little less).

From what I've heard and read the J5 is considered a good buy but I'm clueless about these things (read caveman of the digital era :D). Any suggestions for something decent around the €250 range would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance :)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline cody6268

Re: Samsung J5 - Worth it?
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:47:34 PM
I don't know about overseas where you are, but comparing the specs to an $30 prepaid smartphone we get over here, the HTC Desire 530, which I'm using unactivated as a tablet, the camera is slightly better.  The screen on that, however scratches easy.  I've also somehow dented the camera lens. I keep the thing in a case, so not comment on durability.  I'm sure that sucker isn't waterproof at all, though I have got splashes on it with no issue using to stream music while shaving.

The phones me and my grandfather use on  AT&T have always been the ruggedized industrial models.  I currently have a Samsung Rugby 4, but just ordered a refurbished  NEC Terrain  (the Samsung, two years ago,  cost $25 on promotion, and the NEC, at $150 is the cheapest rugged model they now have after Samsung discontinued the Rugbys) as its replacement.  My grandfather has a Kyocera DuraXE, which is pretty good, but heavy for a flip phone with just a few extra features from standard.   That one cost $200 on promotion.  The DuraForce, its Android smartphone sibling, is around $400.   My old Samsung got completely submerged, thrown, dropped, hit, and never had issues.   My grandfather was just as abusive with his Rugby 2, and it got replaced with the Kyocera, and the only problem then was a battery (which was replaced once but those aftermarket batteries aren't all that great).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:59:56 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:59:42 PM
We don't sell the J5 at our store but the J7 is awesome for a budget phone. It's got double the storage capacity of most budgets and a descent battery that charges fast, tastes good photos etc. It's no Galaxy S7 but for a retail of 260 US it's not bad. I recommend it to a lot of our customers who want a smartphone but are concerned about overall cost.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:28:04 AM
Thank you for your input, gentlemen. The J7 is out of stock, I guess that says something, but the sale for the J5 is open until today, Friday. Wifey argued it's not worth spending much more on a phone with a couple of (handy) extras and I must say I agree, so she went ahead and got the J5, which to this caveman's limited knowledge sems quite OK.

I'm still using a cellphone with buttons and I have no interest in touchscreens; I don't know how people can write -and write fast!- on these. I'll update with the wife's opinion in a couple of weeks for anyone that's interested.

:drink:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:53:47 AM
my wife's galaxy core has been flaking for a bit... I've been looking at BQ Aquaris U and Motorola Moto G4 both can be found in the 150 eur range and have 13 mp cameras and 2gb ram and octa ( 8 ) core cpus. It's likely we'll opt for Motorola (now Lenovo owned) since it's a beast of a device for the price.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:55:27 AM by Whoey »
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 08:28:59 AM
If water is an issue, have a look at some water resistant models too -  I thing Samsung has some, but you can also get a CAT phone for that money, and 250 is a lot for any phone.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%