Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just how rare is the Scientist???

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Just how rare is the Scientist???
on: February 16, 2017, 03:58:03 AM
I have been looking for a Vic Scientist (used I guess, so I can afford it/trade for it) for a while now. I am trying to convince myself to do the minimalist challenge, but I refuse to do so until I own at least a Scientist and a Centurion to go along with my other 2 or less layer SAKs. So my question is this: where do I find thus? And how much can I expect to pay? Thanks!

us Offline Tsquare

Re: Just how rare is the Scientist???
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:14:11 AM
They seem pretty rare now. New in box specimens can fetch 100 dollars.  You can mod one using an explorer and a compact model.  I remember seeing them dirt cheap in 1989 I believe it was when they were being discontinued in a smoky mountain knife works catalog, they had them for around 20 or so dollars.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:09:46 AM
I remember seeing them dirt cheap in 1989 I believe it was when they were being discontinued in a smoky mountain knife works catalog, they had them for around 20 or so dollars.

Shoulda bought a crate of them! What a great little SAK.
Building one doesn't sound cheap - the Compact alone costs a small fortune, and the Explorer isn't cheap either.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:24:22 AM
I remember seeing them dirt cheap in 1989 I believe it was when they were being discontinued in a smoky mountain knife works catalog, they had them for around 20 or so dollars.

Building one doesn't sound cheap - the Compact alone costs a small fortune, and the Explorer isn't cheap either.

Yes, minimalism has a price ;)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:43 AM

That's a good point. But the thing to do is buy cheap beaters off eBay,that'll knock the costs down considerably
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 10:16:46 AM
The trouble with old Explorers is you never know if the Phillips screwdriver will be slightly mangled at the tip... nothing more annoying than a slippery screwdriver!
Wouldn't it be nice if Victorinox did small runs of extinct SAKs from time to time - like the annual Damascus series, only featuring "normal" Saks that are no longer in production. The Scientist wouldn't cost them much to make, all the parts are there already... they'd just have to cobble them together and I am sure they'd sell like hot cakes.
I know - It'll never happen!
As consolation, here's a fairly wonderful Scientist which Google hurled at me. How wonderful is that. (Not my photo, obviously - it's from http://www.bladecommunity.de/index.php/Thread/7304-Victorinox-Scientist-Wüsteneisenholz/  ) <---- the umlaut messes up the address, but that's where it's from...)

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 01:50:33 PM
Thanks for the comments all! I love the design for minimalist carry, but its not worth hundreds of dollars to me that is a good idea for vic to do re-runs. That wooden scaled one is :drool: worthy

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:57:07 PM
The trouble with old Explorers is you never know if the Phillips screwdriver will be slightly mangled at the tip... nothing more annoying than a slippery screwdriver!
Wouldn't it be nice if Victorinox did small runs of extinct SAKs from time to time - like the annual Damascus series, only featuring "normal" Saks that are no longer in production. The Scientist wouldn't cost them much to make, all the parts are there already... they'd just have to cobble them together and I am sure they'd sell like hot cakes.
I know - It'll never happen!
As consolation, here's a fairly wonderful Scientist which Google hurled at me. How wonderful is that. (Not my photo, obviously - it's from http://www.bladecommunity.de/index.php/Thread/7304-Victorinox-Scientist-Wüsteneisenholz/  ) <---- the umlaut messes up the address, but that's where it's from...)

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:

VERY nice!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 02:08:17 PM
Oh and thank you to whoever moved this thread!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:58:02 PM
I was looking on eBay yesterday they had a Scientist the bid was up to120.00 there was also a Mechanic small and a Golfer.

Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 07:27:58 PM
I was looking on eBay yesterday they had a Scientist the bid was up to120.00 there was also a Mechanic small and a Golfer.

Mike

I think I was looking at the same auction and it sold for $141.38.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 08:18:58 PM

Mike

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh    Geeze, I got mine in a lot of 10 knives and only have 5 bucks in it......

Jazzbass said it was a first run from '86.
Scientist2.JPG
* Scientist2.JPG (Filesize: 113.14 KB)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:24:50 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 08:27:21 PM

Mike

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh    Geeze, I got mine in a lot of 10 knives and only have 5 bucks in it......

They do say timing is everything...you were in the right place at the right time.   :cheers:

I would love to have a scientist but not at $140.

:climber:

us Offline Simyo

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 05:34:13 PM
I've been searching for an engineer in much the same way.  I've finally given up on the hunt because I found a beat up automobile so I may just hack one to have it.  I'm not sure if the combo tool is the same from the 84mm line but that may be an alternative to finding a compact.

Offline MakQueen

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:29:51 AM
This is one of those rare birds that pops up on Ebay and the Forums every now and then usually when your in the market for something else. I'm a big lover of these combo tool Saks as I have misgivings with the standard can opener. Though the bottle opener still beats the combo tool.

I had a log hunt for a mini Golfer in pristine condition and finally got the other day but I saw a few Scientists and Yeomans (another fave) along the way.
s-l1600.jpeg
* s-l1600.jpeg (Filesize: 70.65 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 11:20:51 AM
I have a pair of new in box Scientist. I paid only 40 bucks for each, but they came from Israel off of eBay circa 2010. Sort of surprised at their current pricing.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 08:30:13 AM
This is one of those rare birds that pops up on Ebay and the Forums every now and then usually when your in the market for something else. I'm a big lover of these combo tool Saks as I have misgivings with the standard can opener. Though the bottle opener still beats the combo tool.

I had a log hunt for a mini Golfer in pristine condition and finally got the other day but I saw a few Scientists and Yeomans (another fave) along the way.

:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :drool:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 04:17:31 PM

Mike

They do say timing is everything...you were in the right place at the right time.   :cheers:

I would love to have a scientist but not at $140.

:climber:

Just saw that this thread has been resurrected and am happy to report that I did end up getting a Scientist but don't remember what I paid.

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD